• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potential Comic Art Fans Scam Alert

199 posts in this topic

doesn't 100,000+ galleries feel wrong? i wonder if Bill/CAF changed how they assigned gallery numbers later. Granted there are people who sign up and don't have galleries, or spammers that sign up hoping to spam, but 100,000+ "feels" high

Malvin

Just a bit before me at 47,500... I am a johnny come lately having joined in 2010.

John B.

I'm 89,824, and I joined in 12'. I think its pretty impressive tat in just those two years membership nearly doubled. Its probably over 100k at this point.

I joined in December and I'm 109659. So yes.

Damn, over 100,000 people have joined since I became CAF member #74 in early 2003.

Glad now the first 1,000 people got those stock options. :whee:

doesn't 100,000+ galleries feel wrong?

It does to me, in the sense that I can't wrap my mind around there being 100k active collectors out there, in addition to those that aren't on CAF. But then again, there are a lot of non-North American collectors on CAF...so who knows?

There are around 113,000 registered users on CAF. You have to know that more than 50% of our traffic is outside the US so there are far more collectors than most of us know. We also don't let people communicate with anyone on CAF without having a registered account, so it forces people to register who do not want a gallery. There are easily 75k to 85k active collectors and those closely interested in the comic art today. We easily get more than 200,000 unique visitors each month.

I'm #2 btw. My wife who has done the majority of the site programming, especially in the early days, is #1.

There are around 113,000 registered users on CAF. You have to know that more than 50% of our traffic is outside the US so there are far more collectors than most of us know. We also don't let people communicate with anyone on CAF without having a registered account, so it forces people to register who do not want a gallery. There are easily 75k to 85k active collectors and those closely interested in the comic art today. We easily get more than 200,000 unique visitors each month.

I'm #2 btw. My wife who has done the majority of the site programming, especially in the early days, is #1.

You should have pulled a Steve Jobs and been #0.

Just a bit before me at 47,500... I am a johnny come lately having joined in 2010.

John B.

I'm 89,824, and I joined in 12'. I think its pretty impressive tat in just those two years membership nearly doubled. Its probably over 100k at this point.

I joined in December and I'm 109659. So yes.

Damn, over 100,000 people have joined since I became CAF member #74 in early 2003.

I think the leaps in membership numbers, especially post 2008 is fascinating.

So, I resisted joining CAF longer than most old timers. I too, once had a website for some of my art collection. Specifically the theme collection I was growing for a time.

But then I dumped my website after 9/11 for unrelated reasons, and I just went full art hermet. I wasn't buying any art, and I wasn't sharing anything from my collection. I was aware that CAF existed, but I wasn't so keen on people knowing what I had.

A friend of mine had been after me to put up at least part of my collection on CAF for a number of years, extolling it's virtues, and telling me the connections I could make were worth it.

I finally went along with it in the summer of 2007.

I'm number 7723.

So CAF went from nothing in 2003, and in 4 years it crept up to 7000's by mid 2007. But then to see how much it ballooned with 47,500 in 2010, and 90,000 in 2012. But since then it's looking like the numbers have slowed down, only adding roughly 20K members the last 3 years.

The reason I find that post-2008 date so fascinating is that it coincided with the big economic slowdown. Probably just coincidence, but interesting to see how the two intersected.

You should auction off #1. Someone will pay a pretty penny

So CAF went from nothing in 2003, and in 4 years it crept up to 7000's by mid 2007. But then to see how much it ballooned with 47,500 in 2010, and 90,000 in 2012. But since then it's looking like the numbers have slowed down, only adding roughly 20K members the last 3 years.

The reason I find that post-2008 date so fascinating is that it coincided with the big economic slowdown. Probably just coincidence, but interesting to see how the two intersected.

Sounds like those numbers and dates roughly correlate to delta in SP500. Moving up gradually 03-07, 08 -?, 09-12/13 up, up, and away, and 'lately'...not so much? Who knows? But then would anybody be surprised if new membership was driven by the 'wealth effect's' effectiveness? I wonder how many members stay 'very active' (using what criteria, dunno, maybe 50 new pieces per year?) after the first two years of membership? And there's other ways to big data quantify what's on CAF. We'll never know, all that, but I bet lots of interesting trends that could be observed.

I'm number 7723.

This is odd. I posted my first piece on 12/18/2006 so I must have joined about then.

But my number is 10225 .

So:

[font:Courier New]

Eric__________Alex

Summer 2007___Winter 2006

7723__________10225[/font]

This indicates that the Gallery number is not always indicative of a linear growth.

Thoughts?

Sounds like those numbers and dates roughly correlate to delta in SP500. Moving up gradually 03-07, 08 -?, 09-12/13 up, up, and away, and 'lately'...not so much? Who knows? But then would anybody be surprised if new membership was driven by the 'wealth effect's' effectiveness? I wonder how many members stay 'very active' (using what criteria, dunno, maybe 50 new pieces per year?) after the first two years of membership? And there's other ways to big data quantify what's on CAF. We'll never know, all that, but I bet lots of interesting trends that could be observed.

I'd attribute a surge in membership to the growth in cons over the last ten years... There are a lot of galleries that are just con sketches only.

Eric__________Alex

This indicates that the Gallery number is not always indicative of a linear growth.

Thoughts?

Either that, or I joined earlier than I think and just didn't post any work until June of 2007, and am dumb for not remembering that.

I just checked stats and looks like I actually joined in 2005 some time... started posting in 2007. Ah well...

I'm number 7723.

This is odd. I posted my first piece on 12/18/2006 so I must have joined about then.

But my number is 10225 .

So:

Eric__________Alex

Thoughts?

On your "About the Owner" Joined: January 2006

I'm number 7723.

But my number is 10225 .

So:

Eric__________Alex

Thoughts?

I was having similar thoughts wondering whether it is actually allocated in numerical order. Like Malvin, I was perfectly happy with my little old Lowry and didn't cave and join till Dec 2005. My number is 9492

I'm number 7723.

But my number is 10225 .

So:

Eric__________Alex

Thoughts?

Eric joined 9/2005. You 1/2006.