• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What No Fanfare for Pedigree's Latest Vault Listing?

20 posts in this topic

It was there before, but then it got pulled for a while, I thought. And now it's back?

I don't go into the Vault too often, it makes me cry.

Yeah I know what you mean, those books are so nice I'd be too scared to handle them. Doug should set up a "vault" or gallery for those books that are not for sale such as the FF#1, etc. Just so we can drool over them. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Actually, the White Mountain copy was there. blush.gif

This is the Pacific Coast copy.

hail.gif

foreheadslap.gif This'll teach me to post without checking first, I just assumed it was the same book. tonofbricks.gif So according to Doug's post, the 9.6 WM is now "locked in a safety deposit box as part of a private collection and won't see the light of day for decades". Should it say "locked in a safety deposit box again"? Wasn't the WM copy in the Vault a few months back, or is my grip on reality really getting less firm every day?

Anyways, this just confirms that the PC run of TOS is truly mind-boggling. Mark Arrand must be drooling over this copy being so close and yet so far away from its siblings.

hey, I watched most of th emost recent Zatoichi film on cable last week, and was that the first time he got laid on camera?

also, do they ever explain just how he has Daredevil's radar senses?? Its cool, but I gotta admit, it makes no sense at all to me without a solid explanation how he can "see" without seeing. When he's surrounded by a dozen guys, all th enoises created by their footsteps and shifting kimonos etc would create an aural chaos IMPOSSIBLE for him to calibrate accurately in his mind... unless he's a superhero. More than a super samurai that is... Dis he eat a little cosmic irradiated rice at some point? or get hit on the head with a drum of radioactive sake whil erescuing an old lady crossing the street???

When I visited your blog, I liked this even better:

ichi.jpg

cloud9.gif

Two to go! I have the 1989 film on its way as I type this.893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that #14... My goal is to watch them all in order and the idea of doing it with a gap is annoying. frown.gif

I've watched them out of order. I did a little research to see which ones folks seemed to recommend and purchased 5 of them to start with. Given how little continuity there is and the different writers and directors, I'm fine with that. I have purchase a couple more including the 1989, which was his last. I note from your avatar the image from Sonatine. Have you got Takeshi's version of Z.? Very different -- very enjoyable.

There is no logical explanation for all his fantastic hearing capabilities. I just accept it as part of the "action movie defies the laws of physics" kind of thing. The Zatoichis are strong enough in other ways to make them enjoyable to watch.

I guess you need a version with subtitles, huh? Otherwise I'd be happy to pick up a copy for you next time I'm in Tokyo.

Well... while I'd much rather watch it with subs since my Japanese vocabulary is about 50 words, I'm probably going to eventually give up and go that route. It's not such a bad thing as it'll give me an excuse to get a region free player (the lack of which has so far stopped me from seeing 2046.) I haven't properly researched the situation though so who knows, there might be a better solution out there that I just haven't heard about...

I've watched them out of order. I did a little research to see which ones folks seemed to recommend and purchased 5 of them to start with. Given how little continuity there is and the different writers and directors, I'm fine with that. I have purchase a couple more including the 1989, which was his last.

There are very few referential moments in the ones I've seen and I've seen more than half at this point. The first two are VERY connected, but after that they become very episodic. The goal is more for the goofiness of it than anything. I want to watch them all in order, in a very short period of time and write about both the films and the experience.

I note from your avatar the image from Sonatine. Have you got Takeshi's version of Z.? Very different -- very enjoyable.

I just saw it. I thought it worked better as a Takeshi Kitano movie than it did as a Zatoichi movie. Not that that's a bad thing of course.

There is no logical explanation for all his fantastic hearing capabilities. I just accept it as part of the "action movie defies the laws of physics" kind of thing.

I am so used to supernatural prowess from martial artists in films at this point that I never even blinked.

I was a little surprised at the Takeshi Z. I finally settled down when I decided it was about a totally different person who just also happened to be named Zatoichi. Then it was very enjoyable -- though I liked Sonatine even better.

I guess you need a version with subtitles, huh? Otherwise I'd be happy to pick up a copy for you next time I'm in Tokyo.

Well... while I'd much rather watch it with subs since my Japanese vocabulary is about 50 words, I'm probably going to eventually give up and go that route. It's not such a bad thing as it'll give me an excuse to get a region free player (the lack of which has so far stopped me from seeing 2046.) I haven't properly researched the situation though so who knows, there might be a better solution out there that I just haven't heard about...

Forgot about that region thing. Not an issue here because all DVD players sold in HK are region free! My mom took one back to NJ with her so she could watch DVDs from HK.

Forgot about that region thing. Not an issue here because all DVD players sold in HK are region free! My mom took one back to NJ with her so she could watch DVDs from HK.

It's the recent HK trend of region coding discs (The Shaw Brothers reissues being the prime example) that's gotten me looking into a region free player. They're cheap enough, it's just my own laziness that I don't have one.

Wal-Mart sells a Region Free DVD player made by Cyberhome for approx $38.00

Sounds like the dirt cheap Electrohome model I purchased from Costco years ago which also allows you play all the counterfiet DVD's, VCD's, MP 3's, karaoke mini-disks, etc.

Much better than spending hundereds of dollars on a high-end brand name machine which can only play the authentic DVD's and shuts down on everything else.

Sounds like the dirt cheap Electrohome model I purchased from Costco years ago which also allows you play all the counterfiet DVD's, VCD's, MP 3's, karaoke mini-disks, etc.

Much better than spending hundereds of dollars on a high-end brand name machine which can only play the authentic DVD's and shuts down on everything else.

This is probably a good solution for the region free disks, but probably uses a cheap chip and decoding logic. There are considerable differences in the quality of output of DVD players -- which will be more noticeable if you have high-definition and a large TV set.

Here's a link on some of the common problems of DVD players:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10...out-1-2003.html