• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 1.95 vs 1.99 cover price - variants?

173 posts in this topic

Yes. The AoA replacement titles did NOT have non-deluxe versions, HOWEVER all of them (and the regular titles when they returned) still stated "Deluxe" on the cover, until they redesigned the whole cover layout a few months later.

Aye. That may be one that I don't actually have. I'm sure the later months are near impossible as the program was ending.

The non-deluxe versions are quite difficult. Some of them are quietly becoming keys (Wolvie #88 with a Deadpool cover and appearance.)

So is there any definitive list of issue #'s? These might be fun to chase when I'm dollar bin diving!

All X-Titles from Nov of 94 through Feb of 95.

X-Men #38-41

Uncanny #318-321

Wolverine #87-90

X-Force #40-43

Cable #17-20

Excalibur #86-89

There you go. I think that's all of them.

Look at me, bringing zero value here again.

Right after all of those was the 4 month "Age of Apocalypse" break. I'm pretty sure those didn't have any "non-deluxe" versions, but not absolutely sure.

hm

I believe you forgot to Factor in a certain title. :baiting:

I lost track of what were discussing here already.

Is there a list of 1.99 newsstand (?) variants somewhere. would definitely love to chase those

Thanks in advance!

I believe I answered this 3 posts up for UXM. #337-#345 all newsstands were $1.99.

This applied for all Marvel books dated Oct 96 to June 97 that were priced at $1.95 for direct market.

All the other posts concerning Direct Deluxe, Direct non-Deluxe and Newsstand pre Age of Apocalypse have no bearing on your original question. None of those various editions were $1.99

I couldn't find a pic of the newsstand non-deluxe version of 320. Are you sure its exists?

I did however find the DIRECT version of 320 non-deluxe....

x320_zpsduqmearv.jpg

Aye. That may be one that I don't actually have. I'm sure the later months are near impossible as the program was ending.

The non-deluxe versions are quite difficult. Some of them are quietly becoming keys (Wolvie #88 with a Deadpool cover and appearance.)

So is there any definitive list of issue #'s? These might be fun to chase when I'm dollar bin diving!

All X-Titles from Nov of 94 through Feb of 95.

X-Men #38-41

Uncanny #318-321

Wolverine #87-90

X-Force #40-43

Cable #17-20

Excalibur #86-89

There you go. I think that's all of them.

Look at me, bringing zero value here again.

Right after all of those was the 4 month "Age of Apocalypse" break. I'm pretty sure those didn't have any "non-deluxe" versions, but not absolutely sure.

hm

I believe you forgot to Factor in a certain title. :baiting:

There you go. I knew I'd forget something.

Or, I was giving you a nice set-up.

Either way.

I couldn't find a pic of the newsstand non-deluxe version of 320. Are you sure its exists?

hm

Also...the Deluxe Editions of the previous year (Nov 94-Feb 95) had deluxe and non-deluxe versions, priced at $1.95, and $1.50, but they are only available as DIRECT editions.

:D

x320_zpsduqmearv.jpg

You mean, from the same picture I posted earlier in the thread...?

;)

hm

Also...the Deluxe Editions of the previous year (Nov 94-Feb 95) had deluxe and non-deluxe versions, priced at $1.95, and $1.50, but they are only available as DIRECT editions.

:D

x320_zpsduqmearv.jpg

You mean, from the same picture I posted earlier in the thread...?

;)

whoops!

Sorry RMA, ok now I'm really confused. So sometimes the ONLY newsstand version is non-deluxe, even though the direct is deluxe. But for the dates you talk about above, there's also a rarer NON-DELUXE Direct version?

is this accurate?

Is there a list of 1.99 newsstand (?) variants somewhere. would definitely love to chase those

Thanks in advance!

I believe I answered this 3 posts up for UXM. #337-#345 all newsstands were $1.99.

This applied for all Marvel books dated Oct 96 to June 97 that were priced at $1.95 for direct market.

All the other posts concerning Direct Deluxe, Direct non-Deluxe and Newsstand pre Age of Apocalypse have no bearing on your original question. None of those various editions were $1.99

Excelsior! (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

Thats kinda like the modern version of the 30/35 cent invasion. Care to guess which 1.99 cents variant is the rarest/most in demand?

Thanks in advance!

Thats kinda like the modern version of the 30/35 cent invasion. Care to guess which 1.99 cents variant is the rarest/most in demand?

No, not at all. There's a newsstand version and a direct version. Their cover prices are moot.

The Deluxe/regular editions being discussed as a tangent to your original question are closer to a 30/35 cent variant equivalent... but still not actually close at all.

Thanks in advance!

No, not at all. There's a newsstand version and a direct version. Their cover prices are moot.

The Deluxe/regular editions being discussed as a tangent to your original question are closer to a 30/35 cent variant equivalent... but still not actually close at all.

I read this a couple of times and it still doesnt make sense. A price variant is a price variant. Thats it. Having a variant doesnt make it close or further from being a price variant. Its just a whole diff beast

I dont think a 1.99 price variant is considered a newsstand variant more than a 40 cent whitman variant is called that.

Look you can call it what you want, I just think that a price variant is simply that - a price variant

x320_zpsduqmearv.jpg

The newsstand was only duluxe. Here's one from Mile High:

http://milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=fullsize&issue=97993536520%20320%20DELUXENEWS

My experience has been that the Deluxe Newsstands issues are harder to find the Direct Edition non Deluxe but I don't know if anyone has any accurate print run info on them.

Thanks in advance!

I read this a couple of times and it still doesnt make sense. A price variant is a price variant. Thats it. Having a variant doesnt make it close or further from being a price variant. Its just a whole diff beast

I dont think a 1.99 price variant is considered a newsstand variant more than a 40 cent whitman variant is called that.

Look you can call it what you want, I just think that a price variant is simply that - a price variant

In this case ALL Direct Market issues were $1.95 and ALL Newsstand issues were $1.99. So the difference is really just which edition it is.

With Star Wars #1 you had Newsstand copies with 30 cents on of most covers and a limited number that had 35 cents.

So it's a slightly different, but I understand what you're saying.

Sorry RMA, ok now I'm really confused. So sometimes the ONLY newsstand version is non-deluxe, even though the direct is deluxe. But for the dates you talk about above, there's also a rarer NON-DELUXE Direct version?

is this accurate?

Partly. For those four months in particular, the newsstand version is the deluxe version. There is no "non-deluxe" newsstand version.

The only non-deluxe version is Direct.

Deluxe = Direct AND newsstand

Non-Deluxe = Direct ONLY

Thanks in advance!

Yes, which was answered as the first line in my initial post here:

Every Marvel standard book from Oct of 96 to July of 97 has a $X.99 newsstand cover, and $X.95 Direct Edition cover.

Asked, answered, not really much else to say.

And, not only that, but it applied to EVERY standard book, whether it was $1.95 or $2.95 or $3.95 (maybe even $4.95), not just the $1.95 books:

(Deadpool #1, Jan 1997)

2714996.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

(The exception appears to be Thunderbolts #1, which was $2.99 either way.)

Also...it was to July, not June, of 1997:

87402024264.1.GIF

87402024264.1.NEWSSTAND.GIF

By the way...as an ADDED bonus, the Canadian price for the Direct books and the newsstand books is ALSO different. Double variant!

Thanks in advance!

Easy answer: every standard Marvel book from Oct of 96 to July of 97 priced at $X.95.

If it ended in .95, it almost certainly had a .99 newsstand version.

Thanks in advance!

See post above.

None of the $X.99 newsstands is particularly rare, though in high grade they might be. The most in demand is easily Deadpool #1.

Rarest? Probably a low ordered Ghost Rider or something...? Not every standard Marvel was up to $1.95, even at that late date.

Thanks in advance!

It's not a price variant. There's a Direct version, which is priced at $X.95, and a newsstand version, which is priced at $X.99.

In that regard, there isn't anything that is "variant" about it, except for the idea that, since they're different prices, it's rather neat to have both.

The 30/35 cent variants were actual price variants, both released to the same place (newsstand), in different areas of the country (USA.)

There are 25 cent Defenders #34s and 30 cent Defenders #34s. Sold at the same venues (newsstands.)

There are 30 cent Iron Fist #15s and 35 cent Iron Fist #15s. Sold at the same venues (newsstands.)

Price variants.

The $X.95/$X.99 aren't price variants.