• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FLASH GORDON directed by Taika Waititi (TBD)
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Maybe.

:wishluck:

Thor Co-Writer To Rewrite Flash Gordon --script

Screenwriter Mark Protosevich announced that he'll be rewriting the --script for 20th Century Fox's Flash Gordon film, which will be directed by Matthew Vaughn (Kingsman: The Secret Service, X-Men: First Class).

"I can't wait to get started and if you're curious about the take? I'm not saying a word," Protosevich wrote on his Facebook (via HitFix) page. "All I'll say is this - it will be nothing like any version of Flash Gordon you've seen."

The first draft of the --script was penned by J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay.

Protosevich's screenwriting credits include I Am Legend (2007), Oldboy (2013) and a story credit on Thor (2011) (story credit) -- he worked on an early draft.

http://kingfeatures.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/flash_gordon_715x390_tile-640x349.png

I guess this was being noted months ago. It just was moving slow.

Gordon’s Alive! Matthew Vaughn in Talks to Direct Flash Gordon Movie (April 2015)

[quote[Gordon’s Alive! Matthew Vaughn in Talks to Direct Flash Gordon MovieNews has been quiet on the upcoming Flash Gordon film reboot, but now it’s been reported that X-Men: First Class‘s Matthew Vaughn is looking to direct.

The Hollywood Reporter says the kick- director—no, literally—is in negotiations with 20th Century Fox to direct the film. Last we heard about the reboot was last year just after the rights were acquired, with J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay of Star Trek 3 on the -script and John Davis producing. At the time, that had us optimistic, but Simon Pegg getting tapped to help their Star Trek 3 -script doesn’t exactly instill me with confidence. The duo was also recently brought onto a “Viking-mythology-tinged origin story of St. Nick and Christmas,” so make of that what you will.

But Vaughn’s recent Kingsman: Secret Service was well received, and First Class was pretty solid superhero stuff with Kick- displaying an understanding of how to play with a bit of camp, so maybe he’s the presence a Flash Gordon movie needs to really tie it together. The original 1934 comic strips and following serials had a huge influence on sci-fi, pop culture, and Star Wars—so basically everything.

giphy.gif

lol

He's flying - and happy.

Sam Jones Gives Flash Gordon Movie Update

Actor Sam Jones, who brought the beloved character to life so many years ago, was recently asked about the status of the project at Dragoncon by ComicBook.com's Lan Pitts, and while it isn't necessarily coming out soon, it is still in active development.

"So I met with Matt Reilly about two years ago and he said hey yeah I got the rights, and what inspired me is the fact that just like Seth McFarlane, same story! He said Sam when I was nine years old I saw Flash Gordon and it changed my life. That's why I've acquired, so he has this personal touch like Seth McFarlane had. Now it's been in development for two years, and you know Kara they don't like to talk about oh is it a sequel or is it a reboot, what is it. I'm not saying this out of pride or arrogance, but they have their own way of wanting to do their own thing. I just hope they keep it, when I say dark, give it an edge. Everything should have an incredible edge to it."

Regardless of how edgy or dark they end up making the film, Jones is game for it. "We talked and I said whatever you need me for, I'm on board, and he was very appreciative. He brought John Davis, the producer on board. Breck Eisner was scheduled in the beginning years to direct, I don't think that's there anymore, but I'm excited. "

Matthew Vaughn’s Flash Gordon On Hold Due to Guardians of the Galaxy

Flash-Gordon.jpg?cs=tinysrgb&q=50&w=786&

James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy took the Marvel Cinematic Universe in a new direction, and its sequel, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, set the stage for future MCU sequels beyond its current Phase 3. Both movies have found outstanding success both critically and commercially, something that most other space adventure films – such as Ender’s Game, based on Orson Scott Card’s novel of the same name, and Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, based on the French sci-fi comics of the same name – haven’t been able to do, aside from Star Wars. It turns out, in addition to influencing new sci-fi adventure films, Guardians‘ success also put other movies on hold.

Vaughn has been busy promoting the release of Kingsman: The Golden Circle – and in an interview with Collider, he briefly discussed the status of his Flash Gordon remake, a project which he reportedly boarded in 2015:

“Yeah, we’ve been working on it. For me, the only problem with Flash Gordon is Guardians [of the Galaxy] kind of stole what I would have liked to have done with it. You’ve got Star Wars, you’ve got Guardians, so you’ve got to have your own space opera, but you have to find something that can survive among these two very, very great franchises.”

Two years ago, Taika Waititi was hired to take a crack at an animated Flash Gordon movie, but in a recent interview timed to the release of Disney's Jungle Cruise, producer John Davis told Collider that the project is now being developed as a live-action film.

"Taika is writing it. It was a movie that was a huge influence on him growing up. It is one of his favorite movies. He initially said to me, 'Let's do it animated.' I said, 'Okay.' Then we got into it and started developing it and he said, 'No, let's do it live-action.' I said, 'Even better.'"

Flash Gordon is based on the 1930s comic strip originally drawn by Alex Raymond, who created the character to compete with Buck Rogers. The comic strip followed the adventures of Flash Gordon, a handsome polo player and Yale graduate, and his companions Dale Arden and Dr. Hans Zarkov, who travel to the planet Mongo where they come into conflict with its evil ruler, Ming the Merciless. The property was turned into a 1980 space opera film starring Sam J. Jones as the title character and Max von Sydow as Emperor Ming. There was also a Flash Gordon TV series that aired on the Sci-Fi Channel in 2007.

Hollywood has been trying to relaunch the Flash Gordon IP ever since the character was referenced throughout Mark Wahlberg's hit 2012 comedy Ted, and though Waititi has a full dance card work-wise -- including a new Star Wars movie he'll direct and co-write with Krysty Wilson-Cairns -- the Flash Gordon movie remains a passion project for the director.

"He has the most fantastically interesting vision for this movie. And you can only know it is Taika. It is what he does. It is the way he looks at the world. He is the greatest guy in the world. He is the funniest guy in the world. And he thinks on a different plane. And this movie embraces everything that's special about Taika, and his vision," said Davis, who said that Waititi hopes to surprise audiences with his updated take on the character. "It harkens in a very interesting way to the original conception from the comics," he revealed.

On 7/6/2022 at 3:41 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

24OS.gif.fddf5a3c33b32cde8375e039cc39f276.gif

At this point he is over-committed to too many projects.

• Star Wars
  • Time Bandits
  • Flash Gordon
  • some comedy he always wanted to do crazy things with but NOW has to do it through Disney Plus or HBO Max

On 7/6/2022 at 8:58 PM, Bosco685 said:

• Star Wars
  • Time Bandits
  • Flash Gordon
  • some comedy he always wanted to do crazy things with but NOW has to do it through Disney Plus or HBO Max

It Taika too long. 

On 7/6/2022 at 12:58 PM, Bosco685 said:

• Star Wars
  • Time Bandits
  • Flash Gordon

Do I understand correctly that Disney may be involved?  :sick:

On 7/6/2022 at 12:58 PM, Bosco685 said:

• Star Wars
  • Time Bandits
  • Flash Gordon

He admitted as much

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/29/movies/taika-waititi-thor-love-and-thunder.html

Now the Flash Gordon story will continue in the capable publishing hands of Mad Cave Studios. King Features Syndicate has reached a master publishing deal with Mad Cave to bring new narratives, comics reprints and graphic novels starring its iconic hero Flash Gordon, starting in 2024. This was announced July 13th in the following Press Release:

MAD CAVE STUDIOS SECURES FLASH GORDON LICENSE
The New FLASH GORDON
Publishing Line to Include Original Stories, Comic Reprints, Graphic Novels and More!

New York, July 13, 2023 – King Features Syndicate, a unit of Hearst and home to some of the world’s most popular entertainment characters, today announced a master publishing partnership with Mad Cave Studios to develop a full line of new narratives, comics reprints and graphic novels starring its iconic hero Flash Gordon. The initial Flash Gordon stories are slated to be released in 2024.

King Features and Mad Cave Studios will not only bring new and original Flash Gordon content to eager fans but will also ensure the preservation and availability of timeless classics.

Additionally, Mad Cave Studios, through their middle-grade imprint, Papercutz, will look to introduce Flash Gordon to the next generation through a young readers program. This collaboration presents a unique opportunity to unite fans of all ages in their love for Flash Gordon.