• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Silver Age History

19 posts in this topic

I recently had a chance to look at a close to complete run of The Rocket's Blast and Rocket's Blast Comicollector (RBCC). The Rocket's Blast was a fanzine which began in 1961, and merged with The Comicollector to form RBCC. RBCC ran from 1964-1982. RBCC's purpose was to bring fans together to add to their comic book collections. It was also a launching pad for aspiring comic book creators, many of whom corresponded and exchanged their work through RBCC, and published work in the fanzine (Wally Wood, Mike Zeck, and Joe Kubert to name a few). RBCC featured fan-generated art, original articles, and advertisements from comic book fans and dealers. Debuting in the pre-direct market era (before the proliferation of comics retailers), RBCC was one of the first and largest forums for buying and selling comics through the mail.

The early issues of the Rocket's Blast are extremely rare. Issue #8 provides great insight in to the minds of collectors in 1962, and has some especially interesting commentary, which I wanted to share here. Quoted from the second paragraph of page 1 of The Rocket's Blast issue #8, is the following from the publisher, G.B. Love:

"Amazing Adult Fantasy 15 has changed its name and format again. The new name is Amazing Fantasy and it features a new costumed hero called Spider-Man. He has a good original costume and a fairly good origin. Journey Into Mystery #83 has also changed its format and it also introduces a new superhero called Thor. This one you must not miss. The artwork is superb, although Atlas doesn't seem to get as much bright color into their books as DC, and the origins and powers of Thor are very good. The other stories in these two books are not anything to holler about, but perhaps if Spiderman and Thor become popular enough they will be given their own book."

This issue also makes reference to Tales to Astonish 35, the human Torch's resurgence, and the fact that Captain America had not yet returned. A really fascinating read, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

IMG_0408_zpsjogqy4ns.jpg

this has to have been a typo...

It was also a launching pad for aspiring comic book creators, many of whom corresponded and exchanged their work through RBCC, and published work in the fanzine as amateurs (Wally Wood, Mike Zeck, and Joe Kubert to name a few).

Kubert was a pro in the 40s and Wood in the 50s... bnu its true that MANY Bronze creators were first published in RBCC

I recently had a chance to look at a close to complete run of The Rocket's Blast and Rocket's Blast Comicollector (RBCC). The Rocket's Blast was a fanzine which began in 1961, and merged with The Comicollector to form RBCC. RBCC ran from 1964-1982. RBCC's purpose was to bring fans together to add to their comic book collections. It was also a launching pad for aspiring comic book creators, many of whom corresponded and exchanged their work through RBCC, and published work in the fanzine as amateurs (Wally Wood, Mike Zeck, and Joe Kubert to name a few). RBCC featured fan-generated art, original articles, and advertisements from comic book fans and dealers. Debuting in the pre-direct market era (before the proliferation of comics retailers), RBCC was one of the first and largest forums for buying and selling comics through the mail.

The early issues of the Rocket's Blast are extremely rare. Issue #8 provides great insight in to the minds of collectors in 1962, and has some especially interesting commentary, which I wanted to share here. Quoted from the second paragraph of page 1 of The Rocket's Blast issue #8, is the following from the publisher, G.B. Love:

"Amazing Adult Fantasy 15 has changed its name and format again. The new name is Amazing Fantasy and it features a new costumed hero called Spider-Man. He has a good original costume and a fairly good origin. Journey Into Mystery #83 has also changed its format and it also introduces a new superhero called Thor. This one you must not miss. The artwork is superb, although Atlas doesn't seem to get as much bright color into their books as DC, and the origins and powers of Thor are very good. The other stories in these two books are not anything to holler about, but perhaps if Spiderman and Thor become popular enough they will be given their own book."

This issue also makes reference to Tales to Astonish 35, the human Torch's resevregeunce, and the fact that Captain America had not yet returned. A really fascinating read, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

IMG_0408_zpsjogqy4ns.jpg

This is what historian nerds think of as heaven.

:cloud9:

I love that Love drops the dime on Doug Storer.

lol

It was also a launching pad for aspiring comic book creators, many of whom corresponded and exchanged their work through RBCC, and published work in the fanzine as amateurs (Wally Wood, Mike Zeck, and Joe Kubert to name a few).

Kubert was a pro in the 40s and Wood in the 50s... bnu its true that MANY Bronze creators were first published in RBCC

You are correct that Kubert and Wood were pros in the 40's and 50's. However, Wood actually did do original art for RBCC including some incredible covers. Here are examples of Wally Wood RBCC covers:

5DC2A81E-3F7A-4B50-9F16-63259BC35257_zpsnlrvlbxs.jpg

499E1DFC-5994-4F97-80F7-3E58491D66E7_zpscckgbryy.jpg

Also, Joe Kubert serialized his strip "Danny Dreams" in RBCC in 1971.

I have some fanzines that i bought back in he early 60's. Alter Ego #4 was my favorite as they presented the first Alley awards (named appropriately after Alley Oop the "first" Super Hero. Interestingly, the issue mentions Lee and Kirby's brainchild the FF4 which was too new to be nominated...

But what it really reminded Me of was the day that I bought AF 15 and JIM 83 at Sid's Luncheonette in Orange NJ.

Talk about a flashback... (worship):acclaim::applause:

I have some fanzines that i bought back in he early 60's. Alter Ego #4 was my favorite as they presented the first Alley awards (named appropriately after Alley Oop the "first" Super Hero. Interestingly, the issue mentions Lee and Kirby's brainchild the FF4 which was too new to be nominated...

But what it really reminded Me of was the day that I bought AF 15 and JIM 83 at Sid's Luncheonette in Orange NJ.

Talk about a flashback... (worship):acclaim::applause:

:gossip: ....plus a bottle of Pop AND a jawbreaker..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You are correct that Kubert and Wood were pros in the 40's and 50's. However, Wood actually did do original art for RBCC including some incredible covers. Here are examples of Wally Wood RBCC covers:

thats why I assumed it was a typo! What I love about the early fanzines like RBCC is chancing upon amateur work by pros who later became regulars, and stars!

If I am correct, the first professional work from Kubert is from 1945, so yes, he was already a professional but pretty young. :)

Very cool stuff Josh!

Can we write to Doug too?

I thought that part was fascinating! lol Today we call that stalking and restraining orders would be issued.

can you imagine anyone pleading with a forum member to come back? On a different forum I am a part of, we've had members drop out of the scene and occasionally did attempt to bring them back into the fold. Back sending snail mail-- that takes some serious effort.

really cool read-- enjoyed it-- thanks for sharing. Pays your dues, Doug!