• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Y THE LAST MAN on FX (TBD)
2 2

113 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2021 at 9:49 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Just watched the first episode.

Solid...but I don't see this blowing up Walking Dead-style.

Granted, it's been a decade since I've read the books, and honestly I only read issues 1-40 or so, and then # 60 (which I felt was a huge letdown).

Really like the cast so far - especially the portrayals of 355 & Yorick (who is written just as immature as he was in the first comic arc, although a bit more selfish / dickish - which worked for me).

We've also got Olivia Thirbly as Hero - with some deeper characterization in the first hour here than she got in the first 20+ issues.

And Diane Lane as his mom, playing a Nancy Pelosi analogue, albeit younger.

Smartest thing this episode did? Start the day before - so we get to know many of the principal characters a bit before the actual event - not just 20 minutes or so before.

B+ - I'm interested to see how this unfolds.

Honestly, the biggest letdown from episode 1 is that it's playing on Hulu rather than a platform like Netflix, where it'd likely get more eyeballs.

What did y'all think?

Yup, as I said above - comic related shows are spread over too many channels to be worth signing up to them all.

I'm not paying for Hulu on top of the others.

I referenced 'Line Of Duty' above - possibly the best Police TV series in a long, long time.

Seasons 1-5 are on Netflix

The last season - 6 - is on Britbox.

You cannot help but thinking it was done for the $$$$ and nothing else.

I loved that show, but I'm not signing up for yet another channel to see it.

On 9/14/2021 at 4:57 PM, Beige said:

Yup, as I said above - comic related shows are spread over too many channels to be worth signing up to them all.

I'm not paying for Hulu on top of the others.

I referenced 'Line Of Duty' above - possibly the best Police TV series in a long, long time.

Seasons 1-5 are on Netflix

The last season - 6 - is on Britbox.

You cannot help but thinking it was done for the $$$$ and nothing else.

I loved that show, but I'm not signing up for yet another channel to see it.

Line of Duty was excellent!

I enjoyed the first ep, setting up the characters and showing relationships/stories before everything went belly-up.

I watched the second episode last night, and while I haven't read the comic in quite a while, it seemed the show is focusing a lot more on government and getting things running/keeping the peace. Not to mention the title character of the show is only in the episode for 10 mins.

Had high hopes but they are fading.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:31 AM, manetteska said:

I enjoyed the first ep, setting up the characters and showing relationships/stories before everything went belly-up.

I watched the second episode last night, and while I haven't read the comic in quite a while, it seemed the show is focusing a lot more on government and getting things running/keeping the peace. Not to mention the title character of the show is only in the episode for 10 mins.

Had high hopes but they are fading.

Honestly, that ruins the entire mystery aspect of the show.  By focusing on Yorick, it allows them to slowly open up this new world, how it works, and most importantly what happened. By pulling away from the basically title character you destroy all of that.

On 9/22/2021 at 7:31 AM, manetteska said:

I enjoyed the first ep, setting up the characters and showing relationships/stories before everything went belly-up

I made it through the first three episodes before starting to read the series for the first time. After reading about 30 issues, I got 10 minutes into the 4th episode before giving up on the tv show which is an abomination.  The personalities of the characters are way off from the comic and they replaced Yorick's wit with extreme whininess. 

Edited by Flanders82

On 9/23/2021 at 4:30 PM, Lpgk said:

I loved the comic, but even I have to admit it's kinda slow. Something is lacking in this show, haven't been able to put my finger on it. 

Is it that you were 20 years younger when you read the comic?

I don't know who this show is for. The demographics its aimed at kinda don't exist. No one old enough to care about the property would watch the slower, less mature version of the story they already read. BKV writes stories for kids and anyone who remembers this book from the shelves is very much an adult.

On 9/23/2021 at 11:30 AM, Sam T said:

I don't know who this show is for. The demographics its aimed at kinda don't exist. No one old enough to care about the property would watch the slower, less mature version of the story they already read. BKV writes stories for kids and anyone who remembers this book from the shelves is very much an adult.

actually i only read the comic in the last few years. i wasn't into collecting comics when this originally came out, but i probably would have been into it. you're right though; your age when you originally read the source material plays a role in how you interpret it. 20 years ago comic book movies were very different in their adaptations. 

On 9/23/2021 at 5:30 PM, Sam T said:

This is a really good point.

BKV is only 45 years old.

In his prime (say, 2005) - when he was writing Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina, Runaways and Ultimate X-Men, he was only 29, and writing largely for the college crowd (17-25 year-old comic book collectors who 15 years earlier would have proudly been immersed in such "adult" comics as Sandman, Hellblazer and Animal Man).

A 21 year-old is going to view Yorick very differently than a 45 year-old.

I said they should'nt do it, and having watched eps #1 + #2 - I'm sad to say personally I think this is garbage.

Comics like Preacher and this just won't fly on TV.

If you are going to do a show like Y-The Last Man, then be faithful to the original concept. 

If we wanted a show that exists purely to virtue signal, there are plenty of others to watch.

Such a shame, as the comic was superb.

Ugh - I think I started selling my couple sets a tad slow.  I've not found time to watch any of the episodes but I thought it had such promise.  I didn't pay much for the two sets so I should still do ok but I was hoping for another The Boys hit.