• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about 9.8 Moderns

20 posts in this topic

I've only sent off a few modern books so I don't have much experience on the matter. I have read the Overstreet guide to grading comics, but I'm still new to the grading process. In your opinions, what is the most a book can get away with and still be a considered a 9.8 by CGC in Modern? Seems they have been really harsh on Moderns as of late. Is it something that you guys can easily tell or is it just a 50/50 shot? besides time and experience is there any thing you guys suggest to help me in grading comics? Maybe a Black Light?

Thanks

If you can see anything at all, it is not a 9.8. If you can't find any issues, then it may be a 9.8. The grading company is better than we are at finding flaws, so always assume you are missing some. WTTB!

If you can see anything at all, it is not a 9.8. If you can't find any issues, then it may be a 9.8. The grading company is better than we are at finding flaws, so always assume you are missing some. WTTB!

they're also better at missing flaws.

Here's something I did - if you have an experienced and trustworthy LCS or collector who is very familiar with subbing CGC books, bring a dozen or so of your best raw modern books (especially multiple copies of the same book) and ask them to go through them to show you what miniscule defects look like that could keep a book out of 9.8Land. (but don't do this on a Wednesday). :cool:

Also, look at many slabbed books closely especially 9.8 vs 9.6 vs 9.4 to start seeing if you can pick out the defects. If you can't get access to many of them in-hand, go online and look for hi-res pics of HG books.

And as you said, use Overstreet but be aware that CGC uses their own super-secret grading criteria, but it's probably very similar to OPG.

Always remember to move the book under the light. You may see something at an angle that you normally would have missed. Mostly NCB creases which can be pressed out. I sub mostly moderns and my cut off is 9.6 so if that's your concern, you could always prescreen.

Thanks for the pointers guys. What I usually do is take the book and with a flash light go up and down the spine and around the rest of the book at different angles. Then turn the book upside down and do the same thing again. I've noticed I've found tiny creases that I didn't see until I flipped the book upside down.

That's not true at all...a 9.8 modern can have a visible spine tic.

Jim

I've seen some pretty shady 9.8s

+4

I'm not a "Professional grader" (I stole that one from eBay) but I've subbed books that were immaculate, and gotten 9.6 returns. Then bought graded 9.8 books which... Just suprised the hell out of me with the spine ticks or corner blinding I found. So, check all you want. Your books future is in the hands of a "Professional grader".

That's not true at all...a 9.8 modern can have a visible spine tic.

Jim

Unfortunately, this is true. IMO, a 9.8 spine should be flawless. If it has that one allowable spine tic, your eyes will see nothing else other than that tic.

When books that I've looked (and hoping for a 9.8) comes back lower, I always assume that they found something inside the book.

As normally, I don't open the book and look inside of it...... It'll be a long day just looking at flaws, especially for a thick book (annual any one)

+4

I'm not a "Professional grader" (I stole that one from eBay) but I've subbed books that were immaculate, and gotten 9.6 returns.

I've subbed the same book twice and have gotten completely different reasons why my book graded 9.6 each time.

+4

I'm not a "Professional grader" (I stole that one from eBay) but I've subbed books that were immaculate, and gotten 9.6 returns.

I've subbed the same book twice and have gotten completely different reasons why my book graded 9.6 each time.

I've subbed books as a 9.6 prescreen it fail and then sent in just to get it graded and it come back 9.8.