• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What in the world is this??????

42 posts in this topic

This is a great book with a great cover and super high grade but what in the world is Mile High II?

I almost bid on it but as you can see no one else bid either! lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Comics-JUSTICE-LEAGUE-OF-AMERICA-138-CGC-9-6-NM-Mile-High-II-Pedigree-Adams-/161943329348?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=0J7ulBe9SWY%252F8alW8gVtJSE%252FUgI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Mile High II was a warehouse find by Chuck back in '85.

CGC slabbed some of the original submissions (maybe just the ones Chuck submitted?) and tagged them with the "pedigree" but eventually discontinued its designation as a pedigree (probably since it was a warehouse/distribution find rather than a collector find)

as far as I recall these days they go for 0% more than their non-pedigree counterparts.

Mile High II is the name given to the massive warehouse "collection" that Chuck R purchased in the 80's. They came with embossed COAs. I submitted a couple of them to CGC early in my slabbing. They noted it on the cover and returned the COA. CGC stopped noting the collection at some point (I'm thinking 2006-2007). There is an interesting and sordid back story to Chuck's securing of the books.

This is a great book with a great cover and super high grade but what in the world is Mile High II?

I almost bid on it but as you can see no one else bid either! lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Comics-JUSTICE-LEAGUE-OF-AMERICA-138-CGC-9-6-NM-Mile-High-II-Pedigree-Adams-/161943329348?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=0J7ulBe9SWY%252F8alW8gVtJSE%252FUgI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Chuck R's massive warehouse purchase which he introduced in 1985. I recall seeing his booth at the SDCC that year with his wall filled with Hulk 181's. Unfortunately, with my poor foresight, didn't buy a single one doh!

In the late 90s/early 200s, Chuck repeatedly stated that any remaining MH2s had long since been mixed with his regular stock and he couldn't say if a book was or wasn't from the hoard.

Then CGC started recognizing the MH2 books as being a pedigree and Chuck "found" an untouched pallet of them.

Too slow.

Here's the scoop, from Chuck's angle

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg65.html

That was fascinating and thoroughly enjoyable reading. $240,000 for 1.5-1.7m comics which he eventually turned into $15,000,000! Having to sell runs from his prized Edgar Church collection along the way to do it. Just incredible... He's a good writer too. If he ever writes his autobiography I'd buy it in an instant.

Interesting Mile High II read from Chuck. He's a pretty solid writer and it was intriguing.

I'm sure it's bolstered with hyperbole but quite impressive to say the least.

I own a few MH II books in my collection. Now I'll look at them differently than before.

No way? What makes you think that? I think he did.

Why write it if it wasn't true? What's he got to prove?... To anyone. The man is a huge success and I see a lot of undeserved hate towards him around here...

I saw the books before he was offered them, as did numerous NY dealers. The vast majority of them were filler books. In 1985, there was little demand for most of the stuff he had. Books like Tales of Suspense and Tales to Astonish were fifty cent books except for a very few keys.

There is simply no way he averaged $10 a book for them . None.

Most of the good stuff was picked over. There were next to no X-Men, and not all that many number ones. There were tens of thousands of Thor comics, one of the deadest of the various slow moving BA Marvels.

He spent a fortune buying double page spreads in Marvel Comics to sell these books for forty cents each. I believe his ads read one for 50 cent, a hundred books for $40.

Another store owner and myself bought about a 1,000 books from a CGC ad. I forget what we paid, but I remember putting most out for $2.

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/jvZHKIs33X7LxgNGbBix0g--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9NTA3O3E9OTU7dz01NzY-/http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0896/milehighcomics.gif

No way? What makes you think that? I think he did.

Why write it if it wasn't true? What's he got to prove?... To anyone. The man is a huge success and I see a lot of undeserved hate towards him around here...

I have a lot of respect for Chuck. Perhaps more than he deserves. Its not everyone who will freely admit to committing bank fraud in pursuit of a comic collection.

But the math simply doesn't add up. Assuming the Marvel ads were successful, we can assume he sold many books at fifty cents a pop or less. To average $10 a book for the collection, that would mean for every book sold at fifty cents, he'd have to sell another book for twenty dollars.

In 1985-1987, there were not many books that retailed for $20, especially BA books that weren't X-Men.

He didn't sell them all immediately. Obviously... From then til now he's talking (and he states he does still have a lot of them today) doesn't seem impossible.

He bought them for 14 cents a pop! So selling for even 40 cents each back in the day he's in the money.

It was all squared off in 2 years. Wonder how many he had to sell to pay off the initial purchase. After that... free money! :banana: