• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isn't The Overstreet Guide Out Soon ?????

131 posts in this topic

You know, they have medication for that at the pharmacy...

You've all accused me of whining because I found over four hundred DC comics and promos not listed in Overstreet.

Arnold said that it all had to be laid out with exact proof before they'd consider it.

WHY SHOULD I DO ALL THEIR WORK ???

But just to prove I'm not BSing.....

These comics, at a rough guess 400 or thereabouts are just things missing altogether from the Overstreet Guide.

Some of them are obscure, some glaringly obvious.

For instance, there are more than ten MAJOR Batman trade paperbacks and one-shots simply not mentioned in the guide AT ALL.. They never have been. And that's as mainstream as you can get. There are at least as many Superman ones too. There's a comic called Psycho that doesn't exist as far as the guide goes. Most of the DC imprint called Piranha are missing, not so much the longer running titles but virtually all the one-shots (Sparrow, Laziest Secretary In The World, What If This Were Heaven, Hiding Place, The Wasteland [Not to be confused with the other eighteen issue series). The Bionicle comics (22 so far plus variants and loads of giveaways and mini-comics) aren't even mentioned. The guide says there were three Comic Cavalcade giveaways but there are actually four. In the 1990s particularly, DC did tons of eight page previews. About a third of these are mentioned in the guide but most are missing. If ALL were missing I could understand, but there is no rhyme or reason to the ones missing. All the black and white previews are missing and I have at least two hundred of these. Many comics like The Ring, Jack Kirby's Fourth World, Pride And Joy, The Prisoner, have trade paperbacks which aren't listed. Some one off graphic novels (Viking Prince Viking Glory, Modesty Blaise, Mars On Earth, The Dome Ground Zero, Bugs Bunny And Friends) are just missed out altogether, but scandalously there are SEVERAL Star Trek trades and GNs that are totally unlisted.

Certain titles with several issues are omitted altogether, such as Nine Princes In Amber, Gregory, both Prince comics.

Others are listed as having five issues for example (Celebrate The Century Super Heroes) when there were ten. Or Batman Gordons Law as 3 when there were four.

All three very thick Batman Knightfall volumes don't exist as far as the guide.

Major superhero trades like Starman and Wonder Woman are missing too. They list a few but not all of them.

The entire set of 93 (I think off the top of my head) promotional comics called Direct Currents are left out, but they are genuine proper promo comics, and the early ones are full of reproductions of Golden Age covers as well.

The promo section is the worst, without doubt. Fabulous and sought after DC promo comics like The Dirt-Minator, The Vertigo Encyclopedia, all the Lionel Playworld comics, all three issues of Adventures With The DC Super Heroes, and so many more I gave up writing them down any more.

These few examples I've listed are just examples, and nowhere near the whole picture, sadly.

I started making a meticulous list but faced with such bureaucracy, I just thought "screw it" There are at least as many again that I haven't even scribbled down to remember in the future - I literally just gave up.

I did NOT want to start to make these omissions public, but at the end of the day I don't think any of you realise the sheer scale of the errors.

I did try but was met with apathy.

I shan't try a second time.

Not much for patience around these parts, huh? smile.gif

You take as much time as you need, Arnold. I'm not exactly holding my breath as the new OS invariably means higher prices and adjustments that have to be absorbed. Not to mention (and no disrespect to you here) a bunch of disingenuous market reports. Except for Doug Sulipa's annual 20 page dissertation.

I'll still be buying it the day it's available, of course.......... crazy.gif

A few more mainstream ones

BATMAN TEN NIGHTS OF THE BEAST

BATMAN OTHER REALITIES

BATMAN THE LAST ARKHAM

BATMAN FEATURING TWO FACE AND THE RIDDLER

BATMAN KNIGHTFALL VOLUME ONE

BATMAN KNIGHTFALL VOLUME TWO

BATMAN KNIGHTFALL VOLUME THREE

SUPERMAN ALIENS Trade Paperback

WORLD WITHOUT A SUPERMAN

SUPERMAN TARZAN Trade Paperback

SUPERMAN KRISIS OF THE KRIMSON KRYPTONITE

SUPERMAN PANIC IN THE SKY

SUPERMAN WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW

SON OF SUPERMAN

SUPERMAN BIZARRO'S WORLD (Not to be confused with the non-Superman title BIZARRO WORLD)

These are so obvious, that as a sheer point of principle, I refuse to scan them and provide measurements in centimeters. Let Bob Overstreet make an effort.

I would have gladly helped, but now I'm angry.

A few more mainstream ones

BATMAN TEN NIGHTS OF THE BEAST

BATMAN OTHER REALITIES

BATMAN THE LAST ARKHAM

BATMAN FEATURING TWO FACE AND THE RIDDLER

BATMAN KNIGHTFALL VOLUME ONE

BATMAN KNIGHTFALL VOLUME TWO

BATMAN KNIGHTFALL VOLUME THREE

SUPERMAN ALIENS Trade Paperback

WORLD WITHOUT A SUPERMAN

SUPERMAN TARZAN Trade Paperback

SUPERMAN KRISIS OF THE KRIMSON KRYPTONITE

SUPERMAN PANIC IN THE SKY

SUPERMAN WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW

SON OF SUPERMAN

SUPERMAN BIZARRO'S WORLD (Not to be confused with the non-Superman title BIZARRO WORLD)

These are so obvious, that as a sheer point of principle, I refuse to scan them and provide measurements in centimeters. Let Bob Overstreet make an effort.

I would have gladly helped, but now I'm angry.

You know, it wouldn't hurt ol' Bob to show contributors of such information some gratitude. Maybe a comp copy of the OPG and some other publications could be sent along as a tangible "thank you". Because you're right, making such corrections is the staff's job, even if some research is required to confirm an uncomfirmed report.

I've also spotted a few errors in the OPG (nothing on Ian's scale!) but after the thrill of seeing my name in the guide as a contributor wore off, didn't find much to motivate me to keep helping out... especially after sending documentation of errors and omissions and getting no acknowledgement at all on more than one occasion. confused-smiley-013.gif

It would be a bit prohibitive to send comp copies to every single person who ever sends in a correction or a suggestion.

"but after the thrill of seeing my name in the guide as a contributor wore off, didn't find much to motivate me to keep helping out"

Sorry you feel that way, but then again it's not our responsibility to "motivate" you either beyond offering our thanks, which is meant sincerely for everything people do to improve the Guide. Many collectors send in corrections every year, basically out of the goodness of their hearts, and we do our best to not only thank them for their contribution but to acknolwedge them in the Guide as well. We don't really claim to offer any other reward but our gratitude and the fact that you've helped contribute to making the Guide a better book. We really are glad that you want to help and that you make our jobs easier, but come on - what else are we supposed to do?

Did I mention we're grateful? Can someone tell me how many more times I have to state this on the record before people understand that we mean it?

And here's a Dancing Banana for you too:

yay.gif

smile.gif

OK Arnold...now that's we have the thanks out of the way...

Is there any way I can get a comp copy? I bought OSPG every year for the last 18. I'd say some real, tangible, gratitude is in order considering 80% of the guide is a reprint... 893crossfingers-thumb.gifgrin.gif

Jim

Just whisper it into the wind before you go to sleep and tomorrow the books will be there. It's an expensive process, but nothing's too good for our loyal readers. smile.gif

OK, now I'm just getting too goofy. I must need some food or something...

Don't worry, it will all be over soon.

......not soon enough! foreheadslap.gif

What about 2006's OS guide? When's that due, dammit??? sumo.gif

The Overstreet Guide is not tardy, Nor will it be early it will arrive precisely when it means to