• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS Price increase, WOW!!!

180 posts in this topic

wait'll you read the other thread and see that maybe regional rate boxes have gone bye bye. i priced out a box to So Cal from No Cal and without regional rate it's close to 40% more.

I shipped five Regional Rate Box A boxes this morning.

New rates are higher. However, one plus I see is the First Class weight cutoff is now 1 lb (was 13 oz.) so to ship 1 comic (maybe 2 thin ones) you can still do it for relatively cheap and fast with First Class.

Overall USPS is still a very good value.

U.S. Postal Service Reports $586 Million Net Loss in Third Quarter; Double-Digit Package Growth

WAY overpaid for what is being done. Moving a package from point A to B.

Last year for the same time period they lost over 2 BILLION I believe.

Elektra101

The USPS employers make upwards $60,000 a year.Plus their benefits are some of the best in the country. That might be a problem. Most usps mailman and cashiers make more than cops and firefighters.

is there still a discount on ebay? most of my packages are 12-13 ounces first class and have been under $4 with the discount.

if 1st class now goes up to 16 oz that might save me some money on stuff i would have otherwise shoved in a flat rate priority envelope

shouldn't dropping gas prices have offset some of this? i do understand they have a pension implosion waiting to happen as all those baby boomer mail carriers are set to retire soon.

U.S. Postal Service Reports $586 Million Net Loss in Third Quarter; Double-Digit Package Growth

WAY overpaid for what is being done. Moving a package from point A to B.

Last year for the same time period they lost over 2 BILLION I believe.

Elektra101

The USPS employers make upwards $60,000 a year.Plus their benefits are some of the best in the country. That might be a problem. Most usps mailman and cashiers make more than cops and firefighters.

The problem the USPS has with money has NOTHING TO DO with current salaries or benefits. NOTHING. To say it does is to show your ignorance

We aren't paying to move our packages.

We are paying to support bureaucratic mismanagement for decades.

No we aren't . We are paying to support forward payment of benefits that NO OTHER COMPANY in the history of the world has had to pay. This ruling was made by Congress, and the two leaders of the Congressional committee who pushed this through represent Memphis and Louisville, homes of the shipping hubs of Federal Express and UPS. Such a coincidence.

When Congress kills the USPS, and rates to ship things quadruple - and they will - I do hope that everyone who about the USPS remembers what they had.

Edited by FlyingDonut

will that parcel that I always get tracking and always get insurance for that I now have to pay 20% more to send ACTUALLY be delivered to the proper person?

Or will they deliver it to whoever they want and the parcel is lost (sorry I meant to say "successfully delivered") and nothing can be done about it?

I printed out some international labels this morning, and WOW, they have really made that whole system much worse!

An 8 oz. package to Canada is about $7.60 (about a 10% increase), no big deal.

But a 9 oz. package to Canada is $12.65 ($5 more for one ounce!). And it is the same price for anything between 9 ounces and 2 lbs., which makes no sense to me. Before, it would go up slightly with every additional 4 ounces. Now, a light 9 oz. package is treated the same as a bulkier 2 lb. package.

Still the cheapest and easiest option for shipping out of the country, but I'll definitely miss the old prices!

We aren't paying to move our packages.

We are paying to support bureaucratic mismanagement for decades.

No we aren't . We are paying to support forward payment of benefits that NO OTHER COMPANY in the history of the world has had to pay. This ruling was made by Congress, and the two leaders of the Congressional committee who pushed this through represent Memphis and Louisville, homes of the shipping hubs of Federal Express and UPS. Such a coincidence.

When Congress kills the USPS, and rates to ship things quadruple - and they will - I do hope that everyone who about the USPS remembers what they had.

Yes. A thousand times yes.

USPS was doing fine until Congress and W started making ridiculous demands. But yeah, blame the Post Office.