• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sell or hold?

252 posts in this topic

Collect and enjoy having.

If everyone "sells or holds", and comics are traded like stocks, the whole thing fails.

Why can't someone do both?

He's saying there would be no buyers since everyone is selling or holding. Everyone that reads, collects, trades or sells comics is on these boards.

That's not remotely what I said at all. Not even close. In fact, what you just said doesn't make any sense. You can't sell if there are no buyers, obviously. You should let me speak for myself, as I let you speak for yourself.

What I said is that if comics are treated like commodities, eventually the whole thing fails, because there will be no foundational interest in the artform.

If everyone "sells or holds", and comics are traded like stocks, the whole thing fails.

He's saying there would be no buyers since everyone is selling or holding. Everyone that reads, collects, trades or sells comics is on these boards.

I'm sure RMA will be along shortly to tell you that isn't what he meant at all.

You're good.

I can't tell, though, if you mean that sarcastically, or because you know that's really not what I said.

hm

And no, not everyone that reads, collects, trades or sells comics is on these boards. That is beyond absurd.

Yes. It is self-evidently false.

I do find it sad that people need to be reminded that comics is an artform, and if people don't treat it as an artform, but rather just a way to make money, it will eventually go away altogether.

I find that sad, and I find the (occasionally hostile) resistance to be very sad. Expected, of course, but incredibly sad, especially on a "comic book message board."

This is the exact same perspective that filled the industry in the early to mid 90's.

:popcorn:

And no, not everyone that reads, collects, trades or sells comics is on these boards. That is beyond absurd.

Really? Because that is definitely the way that people act sometimes.

I do find it sad that people need to be reminded that comics is an artform, and if people don't treat it as an artform, but rather just a way to make money.

I find that sad, and I find the (occasionally hostile) resistance to be very sad. Expected, of course, but incredibly sad, especially on a "comic book message board."

This is the exact same perspective that filled the industry in the early to mid 90's.

"comic book message board."....of a comic book grading company

People are asking about certain key issues and you are replying like everyone is dumping a whole collection because they don't like or read comics. There are plenty of threads that pay homage and contain discussion specifically about a series's story and art.

Really? Because that is definitely the way that people act sometimes.

I do find it sad that people need to be reminded that comics is an artform, and if people don't treat it as an artform, but rather just a way to make money.

"comic book message board."....of a comic book grading company

People are asking about certain key issues and you are replying like everyone is dumping a whole collection because they don't like or read comics.

You need to look at the bigger picture, ygogolak.

It's not one thread. It's not even one sub-forum.

The amount of "how much $$$ is this worth??" has markedly increased in the last 2-3 years.

Reminding people to buy what they enjoy, that there is an artform beyond the money that can be made, isn't a bad thing at all.

But, to those ONLY interested in making money...it is, of course, anathema to say that.

You need to look at the bigger picture, ygogolak.

It's not one thread. It's not even one sub-forum.

The amount of "how much $$$ is this worth??" has markedly increased in the last 2-3 years.

Reminding people to buy what they enjoy, that there is an artform beyond the money that can be made, isn't a bad thing at all.

But, to those ONLY interested in making money...it is, of course, anathema to say that.

I can't disagree with that. You need to have a knowledge of what is good/bad. If you go blindly following the guy next to you, you will lose out in the long run.

But that's not what this thread is about....

I do find it sad that people need to be reminded that comics is an artform, and if people don't treat it as an artform, but rather just a way to make money, it will eventually go away altogether.

History has a strange way of repeating itself.

That's not remotely what I said at all. Not even close. In fact, what you just said doesn't make any sense. You can't sell if there are no buyers, obviously. You should let me speak for myself, as I let you speak for yourself.

What I said is that if comics are treated like commodities, eventually the whole thing fails, because there will be no foundational interest in the artform.

Why does every speculative thread require a tip of the cap to collecting? It's not an anti- collecting thread. It would seem the purpose was to discuss one aspect of modern comics.

I hope not. Being brown hasn't always worked out for us in the past... (:

You already call me Master so it has begun.

I was referring to the 90's comment.

In the simplest terms, I buy and sell. I hope to sell high so I can then take that cash and go buy other comic related items that are higher on my wish list than some items I already have. Few people have enough spare cash to spend on comics with abandon. My budget is limited. So occasionally, I need to liquidate some items in order to acquire new ones.

Then it becomes just as important for me to know when to let go of some books, for profit, as a collector on a budget, as the person who speculates or sells as a business.

Wow is the guy who consistently drops in to threadkrap various books' and artists' "appreciation threads" the same guy who is now telling people they should be allowed to collect what they enjoy and admire the "artform" of comics books? :ohnoez:

-J.

:signfunny: