• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman a Death in The Family : Movie :CGC

11 posts in this topic

With recent news of a movie adapted for screen based on A Death in the Family and Under the Red Hood it may be a good time to pick up high grade copies. Death in the family has always been a popular story line, if a movie comes to fruition high grade CGC copies could get pricey? We all know how our hobby is effected by Hollywood... Any thoughts? I've picked up two of the four and they're aren't as many high grade copies out there as one might think...

With recent news of a movie adapted for screen based on A Death in the Family and Under the Red Hood it may be a good time to pick up high grade copies. Death in the family has always been a popular story line, if a movie comes to fruition high grade CGC copies could get pricey? We all know how our hobby is effected by Hollywood goings on... Any thoughts? I've picked up two of the four and they're aren't as many high grade copies out there as one might think...

The first three parts of DITF are still rather tough to get in 9.8.

hm

With recent news of a movie adapted for screen based on A Death in the Family and Under the Red Hood it may be a good time to pick up high grade copies. Death in the family has always been a popular story line, if a movie comes to fruition high grade CGC copies could get pricey? We all know how our hobby is effected by Hollywood goings on... Any thoughts? I've picked up two of the four and they're aren't as many high grade copies out there as one might think...

The first three parts of DITF are still rather tough to get in 9.8.

hm

That's exactly what I found out. I was able to pick up #429 in 9.8... Took a little longer but I located #428 in 9.6 and I still haven't seen #426-427 in 9.6/9.8... Never would have guessed these books are so tough to find in high grades...?

That's exactly what I found out. I was able to pick up #429 in 9.8... Took a little longer but I located #428 in 9.6 and I still haven't seen #426-427 in 9.6/9.8... Never would have guessed these books are so tough to find in high grades...?

They used to be waaaayyy tougher. I seem to remember a time when 428 was around $450 in 9.8. The first two were a little bit behind that but still pricey. Those iconic black covers were murder (haha). After selling my books a few years ago, I've reacquired the first three parts in 9.8 within the last year and I was really surprised how easy they were to find (and how much cheaper). It'd be nice to see them pick back up again as this arc is what got me into Batman comics back in high school. Not a great story, really, but still a very sentimental favorite of mine.

The Under the Hood arc is one of my favorite Batman stories, period. I wanted to hate it, but just loved it. I think the cartoon kind of loses the pathos by trying to cover the gap between Death and Hood in one installment and I don't know that a movie wouldn't be the same. The two arcs were published nearly 20 years apart and more Robins had come along since then, so Jason really ascended to a saint-like martyr status: Probably Batman's greatest failure and a powerful motivator on the level of his parents' deaths. I think the emotional impact and shock of his return is really diminished if you don't have that time to move on and accept the finality of his tragedy.

These books were awesome - loved the covers, gimmick/story.

I agree. The covers are really cool. The DITF story line was my first venture into the world of Batman comics. I remember the covers getting my attention when they were new and buying them off the rack... :)