• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's up with X-Force #1?
1 1

255 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

While I have a tough time believing that there are not oodles of these in 9.8 out there and the relatively low number in the census may have more to do with lack of submissions, there have been 400+ submitted and there are "only" 40something 9.8s of the first print in 9.8 (and about the same of the second print, which I assume is a less "common" book), so, maybe, just maybe, those polybagged books are a bit more prone to a spine ding because they don't fit in a standard modern bag and board so well? This may be the odd incredibly common book that is, in fact, tough in 9.8+. go figure.

On 2/1/2018 at 6:24 PM, the blob said:

While I have a tough time believing that there are not oodles of these in 9.8 out there and the relatively low number in the census may have more to do with lack of submissions, there have been 400+ submitted and there are "only" 40something 9.8s of the first print in 9.8 (and about the same of the second print, which I assume is a less "common" book), so, maybe, just maybe, those polybagged books are a bit more prone to a spine ding because they don't fit in a standard modern bag and board so well? This may be the odd incredibly common book that is, in fact, tough in 9.8+. go figure.

If someone just debags this book and sends it in, either thinking it will de facto be mint, or not observing the creases from the bag seam and/or the card, they are going to get a 9.2 or a 9.4.  At this point, pressing is the only solution for books that have stayed in the polybags since distribution.

On 2/5/2018 at 5:07 PM, seanfingh said:

If someone just debags this book and sends it in, either thinking it will de facto be mint, or not observing the creases from the bag seam and/or the card, they are going to get a 9.2 or a 9.4.  At this point, pressing is the only solution for books that have stayed in the polybags since distribution.

Yeah, I've never unbagged one that didn't have the horizontal crease/roller mark/whatever it is down the middle of the cover. Like, ever.

22 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Didn't someone say that there was a print error with most of them which produced that line? Ive never seen a copy without one and they are most color breaking lines. Beyond pressable. 

I was talking about the seam line from the polybag - but yes, there has been a ton of talk about the CB line as well. Nothing can be done about the CB line - and since there are copies without it, all copies that have it should be screwed from a technical grade standpoint.

1 hour ago, seanfingh said:

I was talking about the seam line from the polybag - but yes, there has been a ton of talk about the CB line as well. Nothing can be done about the CB line - and since there are copies without it, all copies that have it should be screwed from a technical grade standpoint.

From what I've seen in the past 6 months, there can be a line on the front and / or back. Take that along with most having spine stressing because it is already "bagged" and you have a lot of reasons why they are hard to find in 9.8.

14 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

The math works, but I would want to see it in hand.
So, that's pretty crazy.

The craziest thing is that up until 2 years ago I would come across people on craigslist who would contact me about such finds "Hey I have a box full of X-Force #1" or a box full of Spawn #1 and they would ask for 300 bucks for them not knowing back then that they were worthless. All gone now.

46 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

The math works, but I would want to see it in hand.
So, that's pretty crazy.

I'm...I'm not sure I want to live in a $50 X-Force 1 raw world. 

The craziest thing is that up until 2 years ago I would come across people on craigslist who would contact me about such finds "Hey I have a box full of X-Force #1" or a box full of Spawn #1 and they would ask for 300 bucks for them not knowing back then that they were worthless. All gone now.

Yea, still don't know I would do that for X-Force #1, ha, but more than likely for Spawn now.

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I'm...I'm not sure I want to live in a $50 X-Force 1 raw world. 

Did you see the stills for the new Deadpool trailer? Hold on to your hat!

32 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yea, still don't know I would do that for X-Force #1, ha, but more than likely for Spawn now.

Seriously? If I had that same box of 300 x force 1s and inspected them carefully and determined there's no linear seam crease on the majority of them.. I would've in a heart beat. 

I like those 2 examples; Spawn is a quick flip raw. X-force 1 brings more money slabbed @ 9.8   

Seriously? If I had that same box of 300 x force 1s and inspected them carefully and determined there's no linear seam crease on the majority of them.. I would've in a heart beat. 

I like those 2 examples; Spawn is a quick flip raw. X-force 1 brings more money slabbed @ 9.8   

Yes, but how many have you found since you discovered this? I know how many I've found, 0.

15 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Ugh, guess I'll be digging into the longboxes this weekend. A few years ago I bought several dozen sets of X-Force 1 for about 30 cents a book. I think I may have a couple left, somewhere. 

4 minutes ago, sirwesker said:

Is a 9.6 even worth what it costs to slab? That's the thing. Is this one of those books where only the 9.8's are worth anything? And everything else is garbage?

According to GPA, 90 day average on a 9.6 is $48, last recorded sale is $60. So I guess if you're doing a modern sub of several books, a 9.6 would make you a little bit of cash, especially if you're only paying a buck for the book itself.

2 hours ago, sirwesker said:

Is a 9.6 even worth what it costs to slab? That's the thing. Is this one of those books where only the 9.8's are worth anything? And everything else is garbage?

I would pre-screen any potential 9.8s as such and not worry about anything else for now