• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To post or not to post on CAF

116 posts in this topic

With all of the recent activity on the shilling scandal, it was brought up on one of the posts about the legitimacy of whether one should bother with putting their collection up on CAF or not. It got me to thinking about it and I was wondering how other members felt when it came to putting pieces of their collection on the internet.

I currently have about 2/3rd's of my collection up on CAF and to be honest the only reason the rest haven't made it up is I've either been too lazy to get them scanned and uploaded (I know first world problems) or I deem them questionable for public display.

I've seen a lot of fellow collectors who just do not want them up due to either they can't stand being constantly bothered by people if they will sell the piece or they consider that it will remove the "freshness" of the piece for when they go to sell.

One of my main reasons for putting the artwork up on CAF is that I am currently in a transition state (trying to sell house, possibly moving out of area, looking for new avenues of work) and I will possibly be this way for a few years, so that means items are packed away. CAF has given me a great way to go on and see my virtual gallery so that I don't have to dig the pieces out all the time. Of course one could argue that I could just scan them to my computer and view it that way as well, but I do enjoy the camaraderie of meeting fellow collectors, even if it is virtually. In fact I have made a few friends off of CAF just from displaying artwork and also some decent deals with fellow collectors.

For those who put NFS on the work, but are emailed anyway about selling it, can't this simply be rectified by just ignoring the email request? What about just doing a Greg Capullo and listing an astronomically high price on the piece to help deter people or does that not even stop it?. I know "tire-kickers" are always going to be out there, I did it a few times and stopped because I don't like it being done to me, so why continue to do it to others. I've had a few who ran away when I told them what I would sell a piece for. One in fact told me that it the price was too high for what I was asking and it was only $50 over what I paid for the piece which was purchased direct from the artist. Another favorite of mine was I put a price on it, then was asked how low would I go and then I countered with what price do you have in mind.....and crickets. About as much fun as dealing with Ebay some days. (that is sarcasm by the way)

I will say that it does always take me back a bit when I see a piece of mine floating on other sites like Tumblr or so, but ultimately I think it's cool that other people want to share it.

Chris (yes just what we needed was another Chris on the boards)

Personally, I like seeing people's art on CAF. It's a great way to share. While it does open you up to requests to purchase, it's sort of like being a celebrity. If you put yourself out there, it is an invitation. But like you said, you can choose to ignore or politely decline or throw out a crazy price for which you would let something go.

All that said, I dig that JRJR DD page and would be happy to take it off your hands. :baiting:

It doesn't bother me, personally, to receive enquiries on CAF art I've deemed NFS. I've been known to cave-in if made worthwhile offers, so it has worked to my advantage numerous times. And I've sometimes gotten back to such requests when, later on, I decided to release art for sale.

If your art really is NFS, just learn to say no, or ignore the e-mails you receive.

Bit like all the spam mails I receive on my (supposedly) private e-mail accounts, I just hit the delete button and instantly forget about it.

Seems a bit lame to me when collectors say they don't want to share on CAF for fear of being hassled by would-be buyers. (shrug)

It doesn't bother me, personally, to receive enquiries on CAF art I've deemed NFS. I've been known to cave-in if made worthwhile offers, so it has worked to my advantage numerous times.

See, this is why I don't list a few of my pieces. I don't want to sell them and I don't trust myself to be able to decline a silly offer. I have a bad track record of weakness when confronted by too many dollar signs lol

I don't mind the "is it for sale" requests. It might take me a while to respond, but I usually do, and it's usually not for sale. CAF has revived the hobby for me -- I love sharing my collection and seeing others'.

I get the "fresh to market" idea, but pieces that I've had in my possession for 30 years are not on "the market" anyway, so if or when they ever do go up for sale, they will be "fresh."

I once had Keif Fromm (a mutually disliked name between myself and Mitch Itkowitz . . . and probably others) approach me over wanting to buy my Ditko Captain Atom 80 cover. Told him (at the time) it wasn't for sale, but his e-mail enquiry was still attached to the thumbnail on my CAF. Some years later, I was toying with the idea of releasing it, so I reminded Keif of his enquiry and told him I might now consider selling it. Response I received went into a long spiel of why I shouldn't expect too high an offer on the cover . . . at which point I told Keif to forget it.

So, yeah, you'll also get the low-ball offers, but you quickly learn to develop a thick-skin.

I once had Keif Fromm (a mutually disliked name between myself and Mitch Itkowitz . . . and probably others) approach me over wanting to buy my Ditko Captain Atom 80 cover. Told him (at the time) it wasn't for sale, but his e-mail enquiry was still attached to the thumbnail on my CAF. Some years later, I was toying with the idea of releasing it, so I reminded Keif of his enquiry and told him I might now consider selling it. Response I received went into a long spiel of why I shouldn't expect too high an offer on the cover . . . at which point I told Keiff to forget it.

So, yeah, you'll also get the low-ball offers, but you quickly learn to develop a thick-skin.

Man, but ask KF for a price on something from his collection and you get a number resembling the national debt.

I get more irked when I put up a pencil piece and then I see multiple inked versions appear on line. They don't need my permission of course, and in the annals of comic book behavior this is a way minor sin, but I think I'd either ask permission from the person whose image I wanted to use, or even tell them I was doing it, instead of just taking it. Then again I'm 51 and my sense of what belongs to whom is probably antique. (That last sentence might read as snark; it's not.)

I like being able to view my collection no mater where I am and it's fun to see other peoples' work. I receive offers now and then, but just ignore. Once I did actually sell a piece based on an offer and the price was fair. I've also gotten back to people 1-2 years after their request, although those deals have never worked out.

I'd like to make offers on certain NFS pieces I see on CAF, but have been shy to do so because I don't want to bother people. From what I've heard here maybe I should try. Often you can guess from the write up the owner has included whether or not the piece is really important to them.

Mike

I once had Keif Fromm (a mutually disliked name between myself and Mitch Itkowitz . . . and probably others) approach me over wanting to buy my Ditko Captain Atom 80 cover. Told him (at the time) it wasn't for sale, but his e-mail enquiry was still attached to the thumbnail on my CAF. Some years later, I was toying with the idea of releasing it, so I reminded Keif of his enquiry and told him I might now consider selling it. Response I received went into a long spiel of why I shouldn't expect too high an offer on the cover . . . at which point I told Keiff to forget it.

Man, but ask KF for a price on something from his collection and you get a number resembling the national debt.

I know. Doc Joe had his own KF story along those lines.

I get more irked when I put up a pencil piece and then I see multiple inked versions appear on line. They don't need my permission of course, and in the annals of comic book behavior this is a way minor sin, but I think I'd either ask permission from the person whose image I wanted to use, or even tell them I was doing it, instead of just taking it. Then again I'm 51 and my sense of what belongs to whom is probably antique. (That last sentence might read as snark; it's not.)

Let's not re-visit the Richard Rae thread, Glen . . . :(

I once had Keif Fromm (a mutually disliked name between myself and Mitch Itkowitz . . . and probably others)

Probably?

lol

I would think art selling publicly 5 or 6 times in a row would affect a pieces value more than art posted on CAF NFS. CAF can act as sort of a catalog raisonne, which don't affect values down in other art forms except affirming that they are in fact by the artist in question; the comics themselves do that to a degree in our hobby. I like Seeing what's out there on CAF :)

I once had Keif Fromm (a mutually disliked name between myself and Mitch Itkowitz . . . and probably others)

Probably?

lol

Okay, many others!

Rumour has it, ol' Keif isn't too popular with shop-owners, either. :gossip:

The tend to not like it when customers determine when there's a "buy none, get one free" promotion.

Probably?

lol

Okay, many others!

Rumour has it, ol' Keif isn't too popular with shop-owners, either. :gossip:

The tend to not like it when customers determine when there's a "buy none, get one free" promotion.

You guys are going to have to point me to some of these Keif Fromm "deals". Nothing like getting a request and then told it's not worth what you think it should be.... :facepalm: