• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reholder serivice question (smashed CGC case)

18 posts in this topic

Just got a 9.0 CGC Preacher #1 from an eBay seller who decided to send it via Media Mail rather than Expedited, as his listing stated. It was thrown in a bubble envelope, not a box, and so of course it arrived to me damaged.

CGC says the reholding service "is for chipped, scratched or cracked holder that has not been opened or had its seals broken."

Well, a triangular piece (with half of the seal on it) has totally chipped out of the case. Does that matter?

I've looked at a few other threads and it seems that people are saying that as long as there's no evidence of tampering, then CGC will do a reholder for almost anything.

Still, wanted to get a fresh take based on my actual case and picture below. Any help/reassurance would be much appreciated.

P1280491.jpg

Yeah, I contacted him. Haven't heard back. The past few days we've been in contact since the package disappeared and its tracking wasn't updated in a week before now.

I'm basically requesting a partial refund, then I'll use that money to get it reholdered. (I'm planning on submitting some comics to CGC soon anyway, so I could just send this along with them for reholdering, I guess?)

In lieu of that, I'd go for a return.

I paid $177.77 with free "expedited" shipping for it. That was my maximum bid.

Can't see the photo.

hm, it's supposed to be uploaded here: http://s11.postimg.org/q9qm5cyle/P1280491.jpg

If others can't see it, let me know.

Yeah, I contacted him. Haven't heard back. The past few days we've been in contact since the package disappeared and its tracking wasn't updated in a week before now.

I'm basically requesting a partial refund, then I'll use that money to get it reholdered. (I'm planning on submitting some comics to CGC soon anyway, so I could just send this along with them for reholdering, I guess?)

In lieu of that, I'd go for a return.

I paid $177.77 with free "expedited" shipping for it. That was my maximum bid.

Can't see the photo.

hm, it's supposed to be uploaded here: http://s11.postimg.org/q9qm5cyle/P1280491.jpg

If others can't see it, let me know.

I've had a much worse case reholdered. So you should be good to go based on that photo PROVIDING no damage to the book.

Remember that its not just the reholdering fee to consider on your refund:

Shipping to CGC (you plan to ship some books but now you have an extra 3/4lb of weight or so)

Separate invoice fee ($5)

Reholder Fee

Separate return shipping (from like 10-20$ depending on method used)

+ any insurance each way that may be required.

Even better. If the comic isn't damaged it could be your lucky day...

get your partial refund and crack the comic totally open if the book looks better than the grade.

Get it pressed and resub that puppy...

I did this for a bit of books that came back grades higher.

Gotta love old labels!

:banana:

I wish I had this photo to send a recent ebay buyer who complained that I didn't ship media mail in a envelope with two pieces of cardboard.

This is exactly why I don't ship that way.

bob

doh!

Can you tell us what the book was?

I've had a much worse case reholdered. So you should be good to go based on that photo PROVIDING no damage to the book.

Remember that its not just the reholdering fee to consider on your refund:

Shipping to CGC (you plan to ship some books but now you have an extra 3/4lb of weight or so)

Separate invoice fee ($5)

Reholder Fee

Separate return shipping (from like 10-20$ depending on method used)

+ any insurance each way that may be required.

Thanks for this. Yeah, I realized that there'd be extra costs and I've been thinking that I'd need about $50, all told, maybe a bit more. My only question right now is how much the insurance might cost. But I'm not going to try to figure that stuff out until I get my other comics together for grading.

If the guy offers $50 or more as a partial refund, I'll take it. If I can get $75 back from him, I'll consider it a win.

If he won't give me even $50, then it's going to have to be a return for a full refund.

If I can "make" a net of $15 on this, I'll be cool with it. I don't feel I overpaid exactly, but it wasn't exactly a super deal either, and it was my absolute maximum bid that won.

Thanks for all the responses.

There was no damage to the actual comic, btw.

Unfortunately, CGC will see fit to re-grade that book. That case is horrifically damaged at two corners with cracks extending down to the book.

Better to just to return it to the seller or crack it and send it in for a press/grade as a fresh book like someone else suggested.

-J.

Unfortunately, CGC will see fit to re-grade that book. That case is horrifically damaged at two corners with cracks extending down to the book.

Better to just to return it to the seller or crack it and send it in for a press/grade as a fresh book like someone else suggested.

-J.

+1 Totally agree. Don't mess around with partial refunds as it will be difficult to estimate CGC costs. I concur that CGC will need to regrade that book. It could work in your favor it the grade goes up but the risk is not worth the reward. Send it back.

-J.

It isn't an auto regrade. Here is just one of the many I have sent down that had worse cracks than that one, all of which were left as just a reholder.

5tylvc.jpg

I wish I had this photo to send a recent ebay buyer who complained that I didn't ship media mail in a envelope with two pieces of cardboard.

This is exactly why I don't ship that way.

bob

...and I'm very happy you don't! My books from you always arrive quite safely! (thumbs u:applause:

I'm looking at the reholder order form and it looks like I'd pay:

$5.00 invoice

$12.00 ReHolder

$10.00 Return shipping via UPS

So it'd be $27 to try this(?), minus whatever slight extra shipping cost it'd take to add this to my box of comics when I send them in to CGC.

What happens if the ReHolder service gets this and decide that they'd need to regrade it? They contact me and tell me that I'd need to pay extra on top of the $27, right? If that's the case, then if I'm going to send it out at all I may as well just break it out of the case and send it in raw. That way I could just put this on an invoice with other comics I'm sending in (save $5 there) and I wouldn't have to hedge my bets. It'd cost $18 just to get it regraded, vs. $12 for a ReHolder. May as well just get it regraded if I'm going to send it in at all(?).

The seller just got back to me and offered a full refund on return, but won't go for any sort of partial refund. (I think, probably, obviously, he realizes that later this year a 9.0 Preacher #1 will go for more than $177.77 shipped.)

The comic is in nice shape. It might grade higher than 9.0 (not much higher, but very possibly 9.2, maybe 9.4; definitely not 9.6, though; I am far from an expert, but to me it sure seems like older CGCs are graded more strictly than recent ones... Honestly I HAVE seen a few recent 9.8 and 9.6 CGCs that look in comparable condition to this, but that's another story...).

I'm going to take this in to a dealer friend of mine tomorrow and see what he thinks.

I could go either way and honestly I don't care that much what happens, as long as I'm not out $177.77 total, which I won't be.

That one crack does go all the way across the back of the case, but I don't think it looks anywhere easy enough to get the book out as it is. :-/

From the image, it doesn't look like the inner seal was damaged, so I doubt they'd bother regarding it.

While getting it re-graded might bump it up, the reverse is also possible, especially if it gets damaged while you're cracking it out.

-J.

It isn't an auto regrade. Here is just one of the many I have sent down that had worse cracks than that one, all of which were left as just a reholder.

5tylvc.jpg

That book not being re-graded was either fluke, an oversight , or CGC did in fact informally verify the "integrity of the (given) grade" and decided to simply re-holder it in the end. There's no way that book was just thrown into a new slab.

Furthermore , my response to the OP's question was within the broader context of whether or not he should just return the book or re-holder It. By CGC's own published guidelines on the matter they would be very much within their rights to call for a re-grade given the condition of that slab.

-J.