• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books that need more love

62 posts in this topic

What about GL#141, the 1st appearance of the Omega Men?

Yark! Their 80's series was awful. I'll see your Omega Men and raise you a Strange Tales annual 2.

It's true! After all the anticipation, the series quickly fizzled out. Still, they were awesome in GL and NTT, but more importantly, as a concept, I think they are great. The writers just need to pull up their boot straps and work for their pay check.

Is the 1st Spidey cross-over such a big deal?

John Byrne's Fantastic Four run needs some love fellas! Great stories and art!

YES! I will never sell my Byrne FF’s unless someone offers enough money to upgrade to a 9.8 set. Feel free to submit offers... :wishluck:

All of Curt Swan's SA stuff.

Massively under appreciated.

His run on World's Finest and Adventure is simply incredible.

People meh that stuff!!!!!!!

Curt Swan and George Klein ; a superb penciller / inker combination.

Kurt Schaffenberger was great, as well.

I'd like to submit Adventure Comics #346. Written and drawn by a 14 year old kid named Jim Shooter. Who gets to do that at 14 years old? Not only that, he was allowed to create and introduce 5 new characters (3 heroes and 2 villains) in this book.

g9Gd60s.jpg

Big SA Legion fan myself. (thumbs u

Issues 352 and 353 for me; the Fatal Five, Death of Ferro Lad and The Sun Eater.

John Byrne's Fantastic Four run needs some love fellas! Great stories and art!

Great pick!

As RMA said, a lot of the books from the 80's.

While the Sandman title is "popular", only 1 & 8 get any love. 13 is my personal favorite and one of the best single issues of any comic, IMO.

gl141.jpg

There was some speculation that Warner was looking at the Legion as DC’s version of GOTG... but instead, I think the Omega Men fit the bill better.

1. Was highly popular back in the day, so this franchise should have an established fan base.

2. New Omega Men title was recently relaunched.

3. Where the Legion represents the future, the Omega Men is in the present so they could easily fit within the upcoming GL movie... or stand on their own.

4. Could be the vehicle for DC’s cosmic expansion.

5. Plenty of interesting characters gives the franchise legs.

6. Great read!

This book has been slowly rising on eBay but still dirt cheap out in the wild. You may even stumble across these in the cheapy bins and pick them up for under $10. I first discovered the Omega Men as a kid in the pages of the New Teen Titans, which is also worth reading. Wolfman and Perez firing on all cylinders...

Buy 'em whenever I see 'em (when prices right)

gl141.jpg

There was some speculation that Warner was looking at the Legion as DC’s version of GOTG... but instead, I think the Omega Men fit the bill better.

1. Was highly popular back in the day, so this franchise should have an established fan base.

2. New Omega Men title was recently relaunched.

3. Where the Legion represents the future, the Omega Men is in the present so they could easily fit within the upcoming GL movie... or stand on their own.

4. Could be the vehicle for DC’s cosmic expansion.

5. Plenty of interesting characters gives the franchise legs.

6. Great read!

This book has been slowly rising on eBay but still dirt cheap out in the wild. You may even stumble across these in the cheapy bins and pick them up for under $10. I first discovered the Omega Men as a kid in the pages of the New Teen Titans, which is also worth reading. Wolfman and Perez firing on all cylinders...

Yes, I can see the progression in the movies, Justice League to Green Lantern to Omega Men to LOBO, yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!

I personally love the first 38 issue run of the Moon Knight from the 80's. Great stories and I really like the art from Bill Sienkiewicz from a lot of the run.

You can pick these up for next to nothing except maybe #1 in which a reader copy still goes very cheap. They are great reading to me.

The most underappreciated genre of comics is the horror magazine.

A Creepy 1 or Vampirella 1 are so cheap in high grade it's not funny,as is the whole run in high grade.

Totally agree. First comic of any kind I ever purchased was Vampirella #7, blown away by the stories and art and never missed buying a Warren comic for the next 6 years. Surprising is that my parents were liberal enough to let me read them given the level of gore and sexuality in these book , I was only 9 in 1969!

I personally love the first 38 issue run of the Moon Knight from the 80's. Great stories and I really like the art from Bill Sienkiewicz from a lot of the run.

You can pick these up for next to nothing except maybe #1 in which a reader copy still goes very cheap. They are great reading to me.

Sienkiewicz on Moon Knight is the stuff of legend. Interestingly... creators tend to own the characters they create. I like Millers Elektra very much, but to me it's Sienkiewicz who owns this character. I bought the Elektra books just for Sienkiewicz’s covers. Here he is in action. Scroll past Buscema to the 4:20 mark:

Crazy good!

Very interesting to watch Sienkiewicz's art style evolve throughout that particular run.

I would also recommend the overlooked Andrew Helfer / Kyle Baker run on The Shadow.

I'd like to submit Adventure Comics #346. Written and drawn by a 14 year old kid named Jim Shooter. Who gets to do that at 14 years old? Not only that, he was allowed to create and introduce 5 new characters (3 heroes and 2 villains) in this book.

g9Gd60s.jpg

Here, here! I love this book. Again, full disclosure: I own 2 mid grade copies. Whenever I pull these out of the bins to show them off, my collector friends are indifferent. Again, in addition to being key, it's a great read. Lots of undervalued books within the Legion series.

I'll 4th or 5th this one. (thumbs u

It turns 50 years old this year.

Here's another in the Adventure Comics line that needs more love:

1211380006_1200.jpg

Adventure Comics #283

1st Phantom Zone.

1st General Zod.

It would be a great book just for having Zod (even if we only had the Terrance Stamp version),

but it's also the first Phantom Zone, which is key to the current Supergirl tv-series.

Plus, it's older than AF #15 (which always surprises me when overlooked "household name" first appearance comics are older than Spider-man).

Kneel. Before. Zod.

Sienkiewicz on Moon Knight is the stuff of legend. Interestingly... creators tend to own the characters they create. I like Millers Elektra very much, but to me it's Sienkiewicz who owns this character. I bought the Elektra books just for Sienkiewicz’s covers. Here he is in action. Scroll past Buscema to the 4:20 mark:

Crazy good!

Love watching people draw thx