• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomorrow's Treasures slabs now?

108 posts in this topic

Sigh. I do know his site, and I am familiar with his terminology. I'm sorry he was rude to you, it's just never been my experience - in 25 years. I had a long conversation with him at a con about why he started having books certified. When you have a couple hours to kill, ask him about it.

I believe you, don't get me wrong.....and over the years, I've met lots of people that like Richie, it's not a rarity. There are just well more that had the experience like mine (not one, not two, but four or five separate occasions) where he just took douchbaggery to levels I hadn't before contemplated.

Like the time he wrote me (in response to a grievance of books he sold me as unrestored - no conservation, no resto, no nothing) getting PLODs at CGC. I was polite and professional, and his email response was seven miles long and said explicitly that he didn't have the time to read my answer.

My view is that people tolerate Richie because of things they like about him....and excuse his behavior as "just being Richie". I have to hand it to the guy, it's pretty impressive how he's managed to do that. Plus, let's face it - there are people who tolerate him because he finds obscure books that others don't (wish he wouldn't "step on them" like he does...but still)

Bottom line.....had he treated everyone with a modicum of respect (if only to those who showed it to him), he would probably be the #2,3,4 dealer in the Country.

If someone steps forward and shares an experience where Ritchie actually acted like a stand up guy, it would definitely be of interest. However, to simply say he's never done any wrong by you therefore he must be a stand up guy doesn't validate much.

I badly needed a Walt Disney Comics and Stories #1 for a customer. Richie called me up and sold me one for well below guide. The grade was perfect and my customer was very happy. Richie could have made more money selling it elsewhere. Very stand-up. I will always appreciate it.

I guess all I could say to that is that I've done several deals with him over 20+ years and I've been satisfied. The last book I bought from him was a Strange Tales 29, last summer. He called it a Fine Minus. I could tell it had been pressed and I asked him if he'd done anything else to it. He said no. The price was fair, and I agreed with the grade so I bought it. CGC graded it 5.5 Universal. Fair enough.

I don't disagree that he's turned a lot of people off. I do think it's right though, to stand up for people you like, no?

I remember once years ago at a con I mentioned to him that my dog was hungry. He reached under the table and handed me a bone.

Would Chuck do that? Would Fishler do that? Would Harley do that? Would Storms do that? Would Dale do that? Would Ted do that? Would Ritter do that? Would they? Would they? I think not, sir. I think not! :taptaptap:

I remember once years ago at a con I mentioned to him that my dog was hungry. He reached under the table and handed me a bone.

Would Chuck do that? Would Fishler do that? Would Harley do that? Would Storms do that? Would Dale do that? Would Ted do that? Would Ritter do that? Would they? Would they? I think not, sir. I think not! :taptaptap:

Was it laced with cyanide?

Was it laced with cyanide?

So that explains it! :cry:

If someone steps forward and shares an experience where Ritchie actually acted like a stand up guy, it would definitely be of interest. However, to simply say he's never done any wrong by you therefore he must be a stand up guy doesn't validate much.

I badly needed a Walt Disney Comics and Stories #1 for a customer. Richie called me up and sold me one for well below guide. The grade was perfect and my customer was very happy. Richie could have made more money selling it elsewhere. Very stand-up. I will always appreciate it.

Sounds like he gave you a professional courtesy. Always a good thing. I now remember discussing Richie with a dealer friend and he also commented positively about Richie. I know he sells a lot of his inventory to dealers (he told me so). Obviously his reputation is, minimally, controversial. Since Beerbohm left, I think he is the most discussed dealer on the Boards.

He reached under the table and handed me a bone.

Would Chuck do that? Would Fishler do that? Would Harley do that? Would Storms do that? Would Dale do that? Would Ted do that? Would Ritter do that? Would they? Would they?

They each might, depending on what kind of bone you are talking about...

Would Chuck do that? Would Fishler do that? Would Harley do that? Would Storms do that? Would Dale do that? Would Ted do that? Would Ritter do that? Would they? Would they?

:o

Obviously his reputation is, minimally, controversial. Since Beerbohm left, I think he is the most discussed dealer on the Boards.

I would pay a significant amount of money for the privilege of watching someone...anyone... tell Richie that they think he compares with Bob Beerbohm.

Obviously his reputation is, minimally, controversial. Since Beerbohm left, I think he is the most discussed dealer on the Boards.

I would pay a significant amount of money for the privilege of watching someone...anyone... tell Richie that they think he compares with Bob Beerbohm.

...that would be awesome.

Basically this thread is about a dealer who has a lot of golden age rarities who has a tendency to overgrade raw comics and also, in NY style, talks down to the customer.

I feel like I have heard that all before.

Brilliant! :golfclap:

I've said it before about Richard, but here I go again for the newbs:

He always is willing to deal, and sells for fair prices. He pays better than nearly every other dealer out there for items he wants or needs.

He's a friend, and a fixture in the hobby

In terms of ink on the boards in relation to gross sales, Richie has always punched way above his weight. And pretty vocal defenders, in light of many undisputed bad outcomes. A survivor in a very difficult business. And through it all, a one man show - it's always just Richie. No help, right? And if he's talking to you, a sale could be standing by waiting to get closed on a big book and Richie won't dump you, they'll just have to wait. How different is that?

The two camps of opinions track perfectly with my experience with him. It's clear that if you're a big dealer or spend big money with him, you're much more likely to get the charming-eccentric-song-and-dance-routine side of his public persona.

In my case... this was at a convention many years ago... he literally mocked me to my face for his buddy's benefit, making sure that I understood I was small fry, unworthy of his time and of the book he was selling me. In my decades of buying comics, I can't think of a worse or more humiliating interaction with a dealer.

It's a bit disappointing as always to read the rave reviews and rationalizations from people here I well respect, but I get it. What can ya do.

The two camps of opinions track perfectly with my experience with him. It's clear that if you're a big dealer or spend big money with him, you're much more likely to get the charming-eccentric-song-and-dance-routine side of his public persona.

In my case... this was at a convention many years ago... he literally mocked me to my face for his buddy's benefit, making sure that I understood I was small fry, unworthy of his time and of the book he was selling me. In my decades of buying comics, I can't think of a worse or more humiliating interaction with a dealer.

It's a bit disappointing as always to read the rave reviews and rationalizations from people here I well respect, but I get it. What can ya do.

I think it's fair to say that, over 30 years (gulp) I've gotten off on the wrong foot with a few significant comics dealers. And thought they were complete douchebags at the time. Today I can say that they are pretty much all, if not friends, certainly guys I look forward to seeing at shows. And I'm quite certain there were one or two that would say the same :/ about me.

I've said it before about Richard, but here I go again for the newbs:

He always is willing to deal, and sells for fair prices. He pays better than nearly every other dealer out there for items he wants or needs.

He's a friend, and a fixture in the hobby

+1

Known Richie for over 30 years. He is unique, extremely knowledgeable.

Never a problem with him.

+1

The good experiences of some don't negate the bad experiences of others, and it's a bit of a slap in the face to be told "well, I've never had a problem with him, he's a great guy!", with the (perhaps unintentional, perhaps not) implication being "...so maybe the problem is you."

All Muchin would have to do, in my case, and I expect many others' cases, is say "I'm sorry. I behaved poorly. How can I fix it?"

But I can hear the laughter from here, and none of his friends are going to be willing to stick their necks out and say anything to rock the boat (if they even acknowledge that Muchin did anything wrong in the first place.)

We are great respecters of persons in this hobby.