• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Damaged New Comics- Is it the norm for LCS to sell these?

34 posts in this topic

I just got back into comics & have been going to a LCS (really the only one around, but it seems like it's a popular location being it has several branches)..Anyhow, I buy new comics off the wall and have noticed basically all of their new comics have spine damage (the top of the spine is dinged, as well as the bottom of the spine)- is this the norm? I literally glance through all of their new inventory every Tues/Wed & it is the same. I bought stuff from Ebay and it isn't like this, could this be the LCS cherry picking (or even "possibly" slightly damaging those they put out so as the graded/mint population in their area is effected)? I know that's a stretch but I really don't know why these could all have the same dinged/slightly torn edges on the top & bottom of the spine?

Any insight appreciated (& I won't name what shop this is as I have no proof they are doing anything wrong & wouldn't want to put that out there)...I just need to know if I should just buy direct &/or online from here on out (or if that's basically the norm)?

Thanks & take care, Dave :)

I just got back into comics & have been going to a LCS (really the only one around, but it seems like it's a popular location being it has several branches)..Anyhow, I buy new comics off the wall and have noticed basically all of their new comics have spine damage (the top of the spine is dinged, as well as the bottom of the spine)- is this the norm? I literally glance through all of their new inventory every Tues/Wed & it is the same. I bought stuff from Ebay and it isn't like this, could this be the LCS cherry picking (or even "possibly" slightly damaging those they put out so as the graded/mint population in their area is effected)? I know that's a stretch but I really don't know why these could all have the same dinged/slightly torn edges on the top & bottom of the spine?

Any insight appreciated (& I won't name what shop this is as I have no proof they are doing anything wrong & wouldn't want to put that out there)...I just need to know if I should just buy direct &/or online from here on out (or if that's basically the norm)?

They get them from diamond like that probably and maybe 2 people that buy from there care about the spine. Thats why he sells it anyway.

Right. He could try to deal with Diamond and declare it damaged, etc. (IIRC) but it's a hassle and if it's not too bad, I think most retailers will put them out as most of the customers (ie readers) don't care or notice much.

In the Berkeley area I've only had a few times where I just could not bring myself to buy the best copy on the rack, where even that one was too damaged for me. But if I feel it's at least NM- I probably still pick it up and that's almost always. But usually 9.4-9.8s on the rack.

They get them from diamond like that probably and maybe 2 people that buy from there care about the spine. Thats why he sells it anyway.

What I find odd though is as I was walking out one of the clerks was looking through some comics someone brought in to sell/trade & he had taken it out of the sleeve & was looking at the spine for damage (I wanted to ask if I could take off a % for the damage their new comics had). I doubt that would fly though ...& yes, I understand that no one held a gun to my head & made me buy them. lol:)

Right. He could try to deal with Diamond and declare it damaged, etc. (IIRC) but it's a hassle and if it's not too bad, I think most retailers will put them out as most of the customers (ie readers) don't care or notice much.

In the Berkeley area I've only had a few times where I just could not bring myself to buy the best copy on the rack, where even that one was too damaged for me. But if I feel it's at least NM- I probably still pick it up and that's almost always. But usually 9.4-9.8s on the rack.

I get that the casual reader doesn't care BUT I just don't grasp how the stuff they put out could all have that(?). Like I said, I bought new comics on Ebay & received these in better condition (the spine top/bttm ding/tears weren't there).

I guess it bugs me, the idea at least, that if I were to walk my 500 count box of comics into the store that 1 of, if not THE, first things the clerk would do is inspect the condition; while they seem to sell new issues that are worse off than some of my comics that I have from the 80's-90's.

Very common at the store I used to go to, up until 5 years ago. Lots of poorly-packed and damaged books from Diamond.

I recall a delivery of easily a dozen copies of a $40 X-Men hardcover, all of which had bottom corner, rippled spine crunches of at least an inch or so. The shop assistants weren’t bothered, and the books sold at full RRP. Personally, I wouldn’t pay that for a product that’s basically seconds quality, although Diamond did at one stage define their standard of service as supplying in saleable but not NM condition.

About 10 years ago, they started rejecting returns based on cosmetic damage. My old store had to "enhance" the damage on the worst books so they were returnable, but they got stuck keeping books with spine tics.

Prior to them doing that, there was still no guarantee of NM copies of anything. Case in point, my old store never got NM copies of early Ultimate Spider-Man. The stiff covers all had damage on the open edge of the front cover. They sent the worst ones back, and got more of the same.

I work in a comic shop, and the majority of the books have damage to them from either Diamond's lazy packing jobs, or the UPS handler's inability to either hold onto the boxes, or resisting the urge to manhandle them.

We can report the damage to Diamond ... and Diamond rarely wants to damaged books returned, unless it's a HUGE number of books. So, small spine ticks and slightly blunted corners tend to get put on the shelf, regardless.

And, like people above said, for the most part, readers ignore the little damage. I very much doubt anything on the shelves at any of the 3 local shops are worse than a 9.0, but few would be better than a 9.2/9.4.

I work in a comic shop, and the majority of the books have damage to them from either Diamond's lazy packing jobs, or the UPS handler's inability to either hold onto the boxes, or resisting the urge to manhandle them.

We can report the damage to Diamond ... and Diamond rarely wants to damaged books returned, unless it's a HUGE number of books. So, small spine ticks and slightly blunted corners tend to get put on the shelf, regardless.

And, like people above said, for the most part, readers ignore the little damage. I very much doubt anything on the shelves at any of the 3 local shops are worse than a 9.0, but few would be better than a 9.2/9.4.

So "could" this be a bigger issue, like there is something going on to not allow too many true-mint to gem-mint copies land into circulation...as the comic industry knows grading is more than just a niche now and they've been schooled in the art of "scarcity sells".. (I mean I know anything is possible & "could" happen but is this at all likely)?

So "could" this be a bigger issue, like there is something going on to not allow too many true-mint to gem-mint copies land into circulation...as the comic industry knows grading is more than just a niche now and they've been schooled in the art of "scarcity sells".. (I mean I know anything is possible & "could" happen but is this at all likely)?

yn2q1.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

If it's a popular store, you're probably going to see damage from the on-the-rack comics just from browsers/kids that rough handle them. It only takes one person indiscriminately stuffing his meaty paw into a display rack to crease or ding several comics at once. I can't tell you the number of times, I've seen people pull the comics down (folding them in half while they are still in the rack) to see if the comics behind are same as the one showing. And then repeating that process on EVERY SINGLE facing of comics in the spinner.

Even the comic book store owners tend to be a bit rough handling when loading the comic book racks.

Some stores have "subscriptions" where you rent a cubby (usually just an initial fee), and you provide them with a pull list. When those comics come in, they tend to be very gentle taking those comics and putting them in the subscription boxes. Since these are consistent customers, it behooves them to take the better condition ones and give them to their subscribers.

But if you want them immaculate, my suggestion is getting an online subscription or purchase from one of the bigger vendors like TFAW, MyComicShop or Midtown that grades their comics and invest in the upcharge for bags and boards. They are often the best condition comics I can find.

That's my 2 cents.

-T

Since 99.999% of modern comics are destined to be drek, does it really matter whether they are 9.4 or 9.8?

The dealer you are buying from has a subscription service, take advantage of

it. There are quite a few perks. And stand in front of that rack on Saturday

morning. :whistle:

No.

The publisher's and the distributor's see no benefit from the number of high grade copies not on the market

The LCS I had a pull list with used to handle the books very careful. They were the only comic store that actually cared about condition from my experience compared to other LCS in my area.

Last year, I was looking for Tec 37 Darwyn Cooke cover. I finally found one copy at Forbidden Planet. When I asked the guy if I can bag and board it to continue shopping he thought I was crazy.

could it? I guess, but in the land of reasonable and rationale, where there are no aluminum foil beanies I'd say no.

the most likely explanation (Occam's razor!) is that the books get damaged during Diamond packing or shipping... I've seen plenty of books pulled straight from the distributor box with tics, bends, tears...

The second most likely cause of damage is production damage from when the book is produced which can be a uniform bit of damage across a wide part of the print run.

The third most likely is that as others have said. raw floppies on the shelf get pawed by everyone, they aren't made of Kevlar. They take damage, they get a nicked corner when slid back into their slot on the wall, they get multiple spine tics when someone flexes open the book to see the content...

way down at like #397 is global conspiracy by a shadow organization to manipulate the physical condition of high grade comic books in an effort for WORLD DOMINATION!!!!

whew, got a little carried away there...

No.

The publisher's and the distributor's see no benefit from the number of high grade copies not on the market

hm Sounds good, but I'm going with Fingh's explanation.