• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starting a CGC collection?

27 posts in this topic

I am slowly getting back into comics and have a much better focus this time around. I am debating if I should go the slab route or just continue collecting raw comics. I am thinking of getting some CA and Modern slabs. Right now I am just pricing out some on ebay to get a feel for the demand.

I know 9.8 is the most desirable. However, most of the books I want don't have a lot of graded copies. So I may be looking at going with an 9.4 or 9.6. So I am curious, is that still desirable for a modern book or is it 9.8 or the highway?

Then, my other question is since there aren't a lot of books graded, should I attempt to find raw copies and get them graded? I would like to hear so starting experiences with that if I may. Considering not too many are graded, I don't think I would be very upset for non-9.8 scores.

Thanks

If there isn't a lot of 9.8's graded, then the book likely isn't in very much of a demand. If you get a 9.4 of said book not in demand and in 3 years decide I need to trim down and this is one of them expect to lose your shirt on it (it will likely sell well under slabbing fees).

If you don't know what the difference is between a 9.4/9.6/9.8 find someone who can help you point out things that will drop books. Sending in a big batch and expecting 9.8's and getting 9.4's will hurt.

If you want to get a run or group of books and they don't exist in 9.8 either find someone who can get you them in 9.8 (expect to pay a good premium) or find some 9.8 candidates yourself (which can be daunting for certain books).

Best of luck!

I am slowly getting back into comics and have a much better focus this time around. I am debating if I should go the slab route or just continue collecting raw comics. I am thinking of getting some CA and Modern slabs. Right now I am just pricing out some on ebay to get a feel for the demand.

I know 9.8 is the most desirable. However, most of the books I want don't have a lot of graded copies. So I may be looking at going with an 9.4 or 9.6. So I am curious, is that still desirable for a modern book or is it 9.8 or the highway?

Then, my other question is since there aren't a lot of books graded, should I attempt to find raw copies and get them graded? I would like to hear so starting experiences with that if I may. Considering not too many are graded, I don't think I would be very upset for non-9.8 scores.

Thanks

.... you're slowly getting back into comics, so I would suggest slowly getting into slabs as well. Try a few of your very favorite covers..... or a key book. You can then decide if it's your cup of tea. Slabs can quickly begin to take up a lot of space. Me.... the Moderns that I have slabbed are mostly Signature Series books. A real pretty 9.6 will save you a bundle compared to 9.8..... and most people can't tell the difference. I agree with the previous posts.... start out with books already slabbed. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Slabbed books are cool if you just like cover art. But if you enjoy reading them it's an obvious problem. They are great as investments if you intend on reselling. When I pick up a high grade graded copy I usually end up selling it for profit and picking up a nice raw copy at a fraction of the price. As in previous post a key issue is great to pick up graded. Protects it much better. Then you can pick up a beat up copy to read. I always say I'm keeping my graded books but when profits are too good they go up for sale.

Personally, I only buy slabbed books on expensive purchases (restoration detection), but usually crack them out.

The only exception to that is if I only really want it for the cover. Then the slab is a nice display piece.

If you are doing modern books, I don't recommend it for profit. The scarcity really isn't there to hold value. Having been through one comics crash before I feel the market is way over-inflated, and you could lose the money you paid for the books, unless you hold onto them for years or decades.

For example are finally starting to see a climb again on the Death of Superman books and that's because Doomsday is in the new movie, but they'll go back down in about six months. In a year or two, you might even find them in the dollar bins again. Back in the 90s, there were people who thought they could retire on those books.

As I was told by a dealer years ago, "old comics are an investment, new comics are for reading."

As I was told by a dealer years ago, "old comics are an investment, new comics are for reading."

With a few exceptions here and there, this is gospel.

To help answer your question nocutename, 9.8 or the highway. There's just far too many, readily available modern books out there, the only way you'll gain any sort of traction in the future and set your book apart fromt the rest of the pack, is to have a 9.8 book, imho. That is, if you are going for maintaining/increasing value, which in itself is risky for modern books.

However, if you don't really mind not having 9.8's I'd just suggest keeping them raw and save yourself the added costs of buying a graded book, or the sometimes painful legwork of finding high grade books to sub. For modern books, I typically sub them because I hope for the 9.8, but thats just me, I'd like to hedge my bets against the cost of subbing books so if I do have to sell it, hopefully I'll at least break even on the deal.

The great thing about collecting comics is you can do whatever you want. Maybe try subbing some of your favorite high grade books, see what you get and see how you feel when (eventually - do fast track unles you want to wait 3 months) they arrive back. If part of you thinks you wanted them to be 9.8's, maybe buy graded 9.8's. Or if you are happy with what you got, keep it up. Or if you don't see any added benefit by owning a slabbed book, you can crack them open and keep your collection raw (thumbs u

Jerome

Personally, I only buy slabbed books on expensive purchases (restoration detection), but usually crack them out.

The only exception to that is if I only really want it for the cover. Then the slab is a nice display piece.

If you are doing modern books, I don't recommend it for profit. The scarcity really isn't there to hold value. Having been through one comics crash before I feel the market is way over-inflated, and you could loose the money you paid for the books, unless you hold onto them for years or decades.

For example are finally starting to see a climb again on the Death of Superman books and that's because Doomsday is in the new movie, but they'll go back down in about six months. In a year or two, you might even find them in the dollar bins again. Back in the 90s, there were people who thought they could retire on those books.

LOSE money. LOSE.

Loose is like 'my pants are loose'.

Sorry but I see more and more people using loose for lose. It's driving me crazy.

If you are doing modern books, I don't recommend it for profit. The scarcity really isn't there to hold value. Having been through one comics crash before I feel the market is way over-inflated, and you could loose the money you paid for the books, unless you hold onto them for years or decades.

LOSE money. LOSE.

Sorry but I see more and more people using loose for lose. It's driving me crazy.

It's been corrected. Didn't proof read this one.

9.4 and 9.6's are never a good investment for modern books. It also depends on whether you're keeping your books forever or you're buying and selling.

I do both. I have reader and beat up copies and I have graded copies that I keep but they aren't modern books.

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in" Comics always seem to do this to me...

Good luck and collect what you like (thumbs u

LOSE money. LOSE.

It's the new thang bro. I nvr need 2 spell properly cuz i can short form everything. But ya, poor spelling drives me nuts too. :ohnoez:

9.4 and 9.6's are never a good investment for modern books. It also depends on whether you're keeping your books forever or you're buying and selling.

I do both. I have reader and beat up copies and I have graded copies that I keep but they aren't modern books.

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in" Comics always seem to do this to me...

I respectfully disagree. Only on the 9.6 part. If a book is in demand, a 9.6 is way better than a 9.4. It may not fetch the same premiums as a 9.8, but you'll still do well on it with a 9.6. Completely depends on the book though. I only collect 9.6/9.8 books.

I respectfully disagree. Only on the 9.6 part. If a book is in demand, a 9.6 is way better than a 9.4. It may not fetch the same premiums as a 9.8, but you'll still do well on it with a 9.6. Completely depends on the book though. I only collect 9.6/9.8 books.

I agree that 9.6s can be good investments too, but only for Key issues. When I first started collecting slabs I would buy a lot of 9.6s because 9.8s were double the price in some cases, if not more. You couldn't tell the difference in some cases. Now most of those comics are worth well more than what I paid. The only caveat is that I purchased Key issues only, so it may be different if you are buying slabbed common books.

I think 9.6 keys are a good alternative for collectors who aren't willing to shell out big bucks for every nice comic. After all, NM+ also sounds better that NM.

I agree that 9.6s can be good investments too, but only for Key issues. When I first started collecting slabs I would buy a lot of 9.6s because 9.8s were double the price in some cases, if not more. You couldn't tell the difference in some cases. Now most of those comics are worth well more than what I paid. The only caveat is that I purchased Key issues only, so it may be different if you are buying slabbed common books.

I think 9.6 keys are a good alternative for collectors who aren't willing to shell out big bucks for every nice comic. After all, NM+ also sounds better that NM.

Agreed. For key issues 9.6 is fine. For the record I've bought a few 9.6's, 9.4's and 9.2 moderns but not to "invest" (whatever that means). I only buy and sell to buy myself the next book. Most modern will never make you money with very few exceptions.

Thanks for all the informative replies. A couple of years ago, I purchased a Nightwing covers I liked (I have all the trades and the uncollected issues of that run) and put them on a display isle on my desk. I ended up actually ruin a few because I kept the full stack on the isle and rotated them. :P One on the isle is fine and doesn't ruin them. I have been doing it for years. But it made me think about getting slabs.

There are a few keys I could get but slabbed keys in general don't interest me as much as certain covers. Actually in this case BoP 8 is a great cover and I would not mind to have a slabbed copy. I just usually find other things to spend money on.

I do have one slabbed comics, Batman 89. That is only because after getting two incomplete copies of this book, I snagged a cheap slab so I knew it was complete. That book finished my Batman Unmasked Cover collection. I am still afraid to open the slab. :( I have seen the video on how to do it but I am clumsy.

I don't collect comics for investment but I do want to spend my money wisely too. I already purchased my two needed Nightwing runs I was missing for reading, well I need to repurchase one. So I guess that leaves my other passion is to look for World's Finest raw because slabbed are too crazy.

Thanks for all the informative replies. A couple of years ago, I purchased a Nightwing covers I liked (I have all the trades and the uncollected issues of that run) and put them on a display isle on my desk. I ended up actually ruin a few because I kept the full stack on the isle and rotated them. :P One on the isle is fine and doesn't ruin them. I have been doing it for years. But it made me think about getting slabs.

There are a few keys I could get but slabbed keys in general don't interest me as much as certain covers. Actually in this case BoP 8 is a great cover and I would not mind to have a slabbed copy. I just usually find other things to spend money on.

I do have one slabbed comics, Batman 89. That is only because after getting two incomplete copies of this book, I snagged a cheap slab so I knew it was complete. That book finished my Batman Unmasked Cover collection. I am still afraid to open the slab. :( I have seen the video on how to do it but I am clumsy.

I don't collect comics for investment but I do want to spend my money wisely too. I already purchased my two needed Nightwing runs I was missing for reading, well I need to repurchase one. So I guess that leaves my other passion is to look for World's Finest raw because slabbed are too crazy.

Key phrase IMO. Regardless of whats hot always collect what you like! I've got some books i'm sure no one would want, but I want them and that's all that matters. And ya, a 9.6 IH #181 is totally acceptable if you can't afford a 9.8. I can't afford anything above a 2.5 so, really, go nuts.

All depends on what you're goals are.

If you're buying with sole intention to resell, 9.8's are probably the way to go.

If you're buying for your collection, 9.6 is just as good for half the price.

I've bought some CA 9.6's of books I really like as opposed to 9.8's because I don't feel that one barely noticeable ncb tick or two warrant (close to) double the price.

Just my 2c

- any book 9.4 or better is awesome. Unless its near and dear to you, nm or better is good enough.

- if you are a collector, Mylites2/Fullback or prettier and easier to store over a case

- modern slabs mean more in 9.8, 9.6 much less, and below that not much at all unless in high demand (ba 12) for investment

- if you're starting up again, keep your focus and stick to a budget

I would even argue modern Keys can be as low as 9.4. For minor keys 9.6 can work, and for things like cool variant covers you need the 9.8. Obviously, the higher grade will go up faster in all areas, but lower should show appreciation. There is also some more leeway when in comes to Signature Series. I know that some people do not like these books, but overall they seem to demand a small premium of around 10% to 20%, and may make some slightly lower grade books more desirable. Examples, and certainly not exhaustive.....

ok in 9.4 or higher this is a short list

1. BA 12 (arguable in most grades, and arguable copper age)

2. NM 98 (again arguably copper age)

9.6 and higher

1. Batman Harley Quinn

3. NYX 3 (I debated putting this in the 9.4 area due to small print run and hardish over)

3. Y the Last Man (hard cover for high grade)

9.8 and higher only

1. Hughs variant cover

2. Cambell variant covers

3. Batman 1 Snyder (hurts me a little since my SS came back 9.4)

Obviously, there are many books that you may want and will likely cost 75 to 125 graded in the 9.6 area. For people that bought these off the rack and have gotten them slabbed (roughly a $20 to $25 investment on average), there is money to be made. But buying them now to flip in two or three years is not going to see much change, and stands a good chance to go down.

Really though, If you are buying for pleasure buy what you like and do not get caught up on grade. Like others have said most 9.4 or higher in any age look great. Above 9.6 the graders are really splitting hairs, and actually seem inconsistent at times. You will also find that as you start to get older than Bronze age, some books getting anything that looks nice becomes an accomplishment.

Just my 2c

- any book 9.4 or better is awesome. Unless its near and dear to you, nm or better is good enough.

- if you are a collector, Mylites2/Fullback or prettier and easier to store over a case

- modern slabs mean more in 9.8, 9.6 much less, and below that not much at all unless in high demand (ba 12) for investment

- if you're starting up again, keep your focus and stick to a budget

Good. Concise.