• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver age Marvel comics that went up in value?

38 posts in this topic

check out the sarge; great stuff, pretty cheap.

I'm sorry, but what's the sarge? I never heard of it. I searched online, and I just found Sad Sack comics and Sad Sack and the Sarge.

Sgt. Fury.

ah :roflmao:

I could have guessed it since Sarge is short for Sergeant.

My comic book collection began with silver age Fantastic Four. Contrary to the poor movie adaptations, the Fantastic Four comic books were actually a lot of fun to read and remain affordable in comparison to the other silver age Marvel heroes. Once you start to read FF you'll soon discover why Doctor Doom is Marvel's top super villain.

My comic book collection began with silver age Fantastic Four. Contrary to the poor movie adaptations, the Fantastic Four comic books were actually a lot of fun to read and remain affordable in comparison to the other silver age Marvel heroes. Once you start to read FF you'll soon discover why Doctor Doom is Marvel's top super villain.

Some great books in your sig line :applause:

I agree, Doom is Marvel's top villain and the Kirby / Lee FFs are a great read.

Superhero comics don't get any better than that.

While I'll always be an ASM guy first and foremost, in a lot of ways, putting together a SA FF run is the most rewarding thing for me personally. Just great stories and tremendous art. The Lee/Kirby/Sinnott books will always be a high water mark in my mind.

An addendum to an FF run is a nice run of the Human Torch in Strange Tales.

Really rewarding as well, and even the earliest issues can be found relatively cheap when compared to other early Marvel titles. The early run Kirby covers are KNOCKOUTS.

While I'll always be an ASM guy first and foremost, in a lot of ways, putting together a SA FF run is the most rewarding thing for me personally. Just great stories and tremendous art. The Lee/Kirby/Sinnott books will always be a high water mark in my mind.

An addendum to an FF run is a nice run of the Human Torch in Strange Tales.

Really rewarding as well, and even the earliest issues can be found relatively cheap when compared to other early Marvel titles. The early run Kirby covers are KNOCKOUTS.

I've always been an FF guy first and ASM guy second.

IMO for creativity, imagination, historical impact and just great story telling it doesn't get much better than SA FF.

An addendum to an FF run is a nice run of the Human Torch in Strange Tales. Really rewarding as well, and even the earliest issues can be found relatively cheap when compared to other early Marvel titles. The early run Kirby covers are KNOCKOUTS.

Absolutely. 101-109 are way under appreciated in that title. That will probably be my next pet project.

Jim is right about SA FF. Probably the most enjoyable books I've read even though I was a Spidey completionist. Holding a Lee-Kirby FF is like holding a real piece of history. Hard to explain, but it's on another level. And AFFORDABLE.

And, although not SA, the Byrne FF run came pretty darn close to the Lee-Kirby FF run in terms of workmanship.

An addendum to an FF run is a nice run of the Human Torch in Strange Tales. Really rewarding as well, and even the earliest issues can be found relatively cheap when compared to other early Marvel titles. The early run Kirby covers are KNOCKOUTS.

Absolutely. 101-109 are way under appreciated in that title. That will probably be my next pet project.

I have to admit it’s the range I am less affectioned to. I prefer these following #110…

I think the best bang for the buck would be Tales of Suspense and Avengers - both have good art and stories.

I'd agree with this - from a bang for your buck standpoint...

would your TOS run start at 39? hm

Not really at 39... :)

I have to admit it’s the range I am less affectioned to. I prefer these following #110…

The later books (111-134) that have the Torch (or Torch and Thing combo) stories sharing the book with Ditko Dr. Strange stories are a blast to collect as well. Just really cool books. When people ask about getting their kids involved in SA collecting, I always recommend Strange Tales. Cheap by comparison and just really cool stuff in there.

The later books (111-134) that have the Torch (or Torch and Thing combo) stories sharing the book with Ditko Dr. Strange stories are a blast to collect as well. Just really cool books. When people ask about getting their kids involved in SA collecting, I always recommend Strange Tales. Cheap by comparison and just really cool stuff in there.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I believe he was talking about Fantastic Four #101-109, not Strange Tales. :)

Sorry, I misunderstood. I believe he was talking about Fantastic Four #101-109, not Strange Tales. :)

Nope, definitely ST! I should have been more clear!

Nope, definitely ST! I should have been more clear!

First I misunderstood, then I mistyped: I meant "I believed", not "I believe" – it was clear – just me not paying enough attention! lol