• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comments on CAF?

95 posts in this topic

My dilemma is whether to respond to comments made on some of my art. It seems polite to thank those who take the time to comment.

Ah, so this is what I was hoping would come up. I have heard similar comments in the past about when it is right/wrong to post comments. I personally don't see any issue with it at all.

But, I know comments directly correlates to one of the categories on CAF front page and I think some people have preconceived notions about how comments should be left, etc. I do not.

Some people clearly do this to pump up the numbers for that reason. I'll usually only reply to comments if their is a question or to clarify something a comment mentions.

I've thanked people who've commented on my art in my CAF. :sorry:

I never thought about it being used to pump up the numbers. I guess I won't do it anymore.

Not that my entrees get a ton of comments, anyways.

My dilemma is whether to respond to comments made on some of my art. It seems polite to thank those who take the time to comment.

Ah, so this is what I was hoping would come up. I have heard similar comments in the past about when it is right/wrong to post comments. I personally don't see any issue with it at all.

But, I know comments directly correlates to one of the categories on CAF front page and I think some people have preconceived notions about how comments should be left, etc. I do not.

Some people clearly do this to pump up the numbers for that reason. I'll usually only reply to comments if their is a question or to clarify something a comment mentions.

I never thought about it being used to pump up the numbers. I guess I won't do it anymore.

I wouldn't say that I just did a quick scroll through your gallery, and saw a lot of cool things even left a comment on one piece I really liked.

I have not had as much time as I would like to peruse CAF as I used to.

But I like to leave comments on the stuff I'd wish I could add to my collection, and even stuff I see that I think is unique or cool, even if it's not exactly something I'd go after.

I also like to try to check out the galleries of the people that leave me comments and if I see something that I really like in their gallery I'll leave a comment. Most of the time, if there's several I'll leave a comment on something that I feel is nice but doesn't have a ton of comments on it already.

I think it's a great way to let people know that you like the art if they ever decide to sell, and it's a good way to connect to people and give them positive feedback for taking the time to share their collections as well.

Want to read a good Description? Check this one out by Tim Finney on his Jim Lee Multiversity page:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1292971&GSub=0&GCat=14816&UCat=14816

Excellent example Alex

I prefer to leave comments on a) pieces I envy or b) when the collector shows genuine enthusiasm for the art

I know collectors that NEVER leave comments, and also don't add descriptions to their gallery pieces. I am less inclined to comment there, as it appears (right or wrong) that the collector

a) doesn't value comments and

b) the art holds no personal meaning to them

please don't stop.

I think we need to start interacting more via CAF comments, not go in the other direction.

Yeah, it makes me sad to see art without Descriptions - image, description, comments. That's the CAF doing its job.

If a piece really means something to me I will definitely do a description on the piece. Sometimes though I don't have anything to say outside of I really like this artist and he draws purty pictures so I bought another piece from him.

Also I am in the club where I need to comment more. If a piece really is something that grabs me I will definitely comment. I also get weird when I see like 50 comments on a piece, I start thinking well they really don't need me to add to this. I'm very guilty of that.

Yeah, it makes me sad to see art without Descriptions - image, description, comments. That's the CAF doing its job.

I feel a lot of that, too. To me, a complete lack of description shows a lack of passion about, or for, the piece. I always give descriptions on mine (mostly for my own enjoyment, but I know a few others who like it, too). Makes me wonder why they even bothered to get it, since they have nothing to say about it. I think there is a lack of passion in this hobby, outside of the passion for monetary value/status. Very little passion for the actual art itself anymore. A sad state of events, which lack of descriptions is merely a symptom of.

I get that as well and find myself wondering why there isn't a description but I don't make the leap to assume a lack of passion. I am sure that is sometimes true, but there could be plenty of other reasons as well. I don't let it keep me from commenting if I have a thought to share but I do comment sometimes due to a well written description.

Thinking about this and the other thread about putting art on CAF, I will take the no description artwork all day long if it would mean more art being posted.

If some read short-and-sweet descriptions as a lack of passion in the art, then perhaps wordy and verbose descriptions may reflect TOO much passion. Maybe that's why some have become enraged in the past at not receiving enough votes at Best Of, because they're overly invested in their pieces, emotionally speaking.

Short description or long description, I'm just grateful when people share their art.

If some read short-and-sweet descriptions as a lack of passion in the art, then perhaps wordy and verbose descriptions may reflect TOO much passion. Maybe that's why some have become enraged in the past at not receiving enough votes at Best Of, because they're overly invested in their pieces, emotionally speaking.

And perhaps some people need to read what is written, as I said "no description." At all. Maybe those who take issue with another's opinion, only have passion for being a jerk. And the hobby certainly has more than its quota full of those.

And perhaps some people need to read what is written, as I said "no description." At all. Maybe those who take issue with another's opinion, only have passion for being a jerk. And the hobby certainly has more than its quota full of those.

OK, then replace "short-and-sweet" with "zero".

Ironic since you appear to be taking an issue with...my opinion.

Except your opinion wasn't a general one, as mine was, but one directed at someone specific. Makes a difference and you know it.

Except your opinion wasn't a general one, as mine was, but one directed at someone specific. Makes a difference and you know it.

General or specific, judgmental is judgmental.

Both opinions are jerky.

Both opinions are jerky.

To paraphrase Orwell: "All opinions are jerky. Some opinions are more jerky than others."

Both opinions are jerky.

To paraphrase Orwell: "All opinions are jerky. Some opinions are more jerky than others."

I don't know that quote, but I'm OK with letting readers make that call here.

It's my opinion that you are now tired of your Aliens piece and should consider selling it to me.

After all these years, that's still a favorite movie. Took my kid to see it on the big screen last summer in a sold-out theater. An awesome experience. She is now a fan, too, so I'll be giving it to her. Sorry!