• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's been 60 YEARS...show us your books from 1956!
1 1

273 posts in this topic

SUPSCGC_108.jpg

Beautiful copy, Dale. That's a great-looking F- copy. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Steve. It's one of my favorite Superman covers.

Yes, I can't imagine there were too many "girl cops" in Metropolis or any other large city in the US. And those that did join the force helped to pave the way.

Found a box of 1950s books--not all in HG but even the LG copies have nice colors and I enjoy reading them.

Anyway here's one cover dated Feb. 1956 with real nice PQ as well Purchased from a board member and good friend a few years back: House of Mystery 46:

HouseofMystery47-1_zps848578b5.jpg

Here's a tough issue. All eight issues of the title are listed as Scarce in the current OSPG. Bought this from one of the nicest board members out there: Sharon. She knows a great deal about color schemes, perspective and all those other artistic techniques of which I know nothing. Her prices are fair and reasonable at all times. She's one heck of a human being and I hope to meet her some day:

Legends of Daniel Boone 6 cover dated June of 1956 with Nick Cardy cover art:

004_8.jpg

Here's another toughie in grade: Sugar and Spike 5. It's cover dated December of 1956/January 1957 so I guess that still counts as a 1956 book. Bought it at Wonder-Con last year. Paid just a bit over guide but even though Harley charges a lot for his books he was more reasonable on this book. I attended the show on Sunday only and Harely had just gotten the book in and really hadn't had time to price or even grade the book so we spent some time together with a good collector friend of mine doing both. All I know it's got beautiful PQ.

002_13.jpg

Last one for today: Detective Comics 237 cover dated November of 1956. Includes great backup strips: Roy Raymond--TV Detective (TV shows were only about 7 or eight years old in 1956) and of course an early John Jones (J'onn J'onzz) Manhunter from Mars. Bought at Cherokee Books in Hollywood circa 1967 and don't even ask how the book after all these years is in great condition 'cause I have no idea.)

006_6.jpg

Edited by Stevenrams

Here's a tough issue. All eight issues of the title are listed as Scarce in the current OSPG. Bought this from one of the nicest board members out there: Sharon. She knows a great deal about color schemes, perspective and all those other artistic techniques of which I know nothing. Her prices are fair and reasonable at all times. She's one heck of a human being and I hope to meet her some day:

Legends of Daniel Boone 6 cover dated June of 1956 with Nick Cardy cover art:

004_8.jpg

Here's another toughie in grade: Sugar and Spike 5. It's cover dated December of 1956/January 1957 so I guess that still counts as a 1956 book. Bought it at Wonder-Con last year. Paid just a bit over guide but even though Harley charges a lot for his books he was more reasonable on this book. I attended the show on Sunday only and Harely had just gotten the book in and really hadn't had time to price or even grade the book so we spent some time together with a good collector friend of mine doing both. All I know it's got beautiful PQ.

002_13.jpg

Last one for today: Detective Comics 237 cover dated November of 1956. Includes great backup strips: Roy Raymond--TV Detective (TV shows were only about 7 or eight years old in 1956) and of course an early John Jones (J'onn J'onzz) Manhunter from Mars. Bought at Cherokee Books in Hollywood circa 1967 and don't even ask how the book after all these years is in great condition 'cause I have no idea.)

006_6.jpg

Super collection of books. :headbang: Those Legends of Daniel Boone books can grow on one. Have to agree, Sharon has to be one of the nicest board members & have bought several great books from her myself.