• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original art image

23 posts in this topic

Good morning, I am about to put up for sale a couple of my cover's and some other original art and am having a hard time getting a "photo" without flash and to get the right clarity.

What is the best way to get a clear image for original art.

Thank you in advance. Ty

Good morning, I am about to put up for sale a couple of my cover's and some other original art and am having a hard time getting a "photo" without flash and to get the right clarity.

Thank you in advance. Ty

11x17 scanner is one way (as Mustek was suggested). A second, with the camera you already have, is take it outside on a clear (ideally sunny) day and shoot "no flash".

If you want to go further down the camera road, there is all sorts of good advice to set up cheap/simple indoor lighting too. But that's probably only if you're into learning new things and playing around; I'm thinking outdoors/sunny is what just fine.

Spend $200 on a Mustek scanner.

...for $150 on Amazon, I hear a lot of the professional artists use this Epson scanner with an 11 x 17 capability to submit their work for publication, so if it's good enough for the pro's it's good enough for most.

Epson WorkForce WF-7610 Wireless Color All-in-One Inkjet Printer with Scanner and Copier

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JXLGETI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

The upside is the quality and price. Also, it's an all-in-one multi purpose device.

The downside is it's bulky in size. Also, it's an all-in-one multi purpose device with an inkjet printer (so that could be expensive to refill the ink), so yet another component that could break down eventually.

Scanners are best. If that's not an option, just stick with photography and uploading the image on PhotoBucket.

Be sure to shoot the image in white light and not in yellow light as the yellow tends to distort the color of images you photograph.

Be sure the lens is not smudged.

Be sure that you are surrounded by white light. If not, better to have the light in front of you than behind as, from behind, it'll cast a shadow over the item you taking photos of.

Take as many photos as possible with as clear an image. When uploaded to the computer, you can determine which images present the subject in the best light and best clarity.

If you plan to take photos but don't want your apartment as the background, just get a clean white sheet or towel as your "staging area." You can lay it on the ground or over your sofa and take the photos. This allows for the art to be the only thing you, and the audience, is focused on.

Hope that helps.

Thank you in advance. Ty

I'm thinking outdoors/sunny is what just fine.

Yeah, that's your best option (without going the route of a scanner). If your camera has the flash kick-in when photographed indoors, taking pictures outside will eliminate this.

Thank you in advance. Ty

Take the picture outside, or in direct sunlight. Stand where you don't cast a shadow, and your picture will come out very nice

Take the picture outside, or in direct sunlight. Stand where you don't cast a shadow, and your picture will come out very nice

Follow this advice and your photos will come out great. All of my images are photos.

As for the Mustek scanner, is there a particular model that you all favor? I'm looking at a few on eBay. I'd need something that could run via USB connection, using either Windows Vista or Windows 7. Anyone have personal recommendations?

As for the Mustek scanner, is there a particular model that you all favor? I'm looking at a few on eBay. I'd need something that could run via USB connection, using either Windows Vista or Windows 7. Anyone have personal recommendations?

I had a Mustek 2400 and it was great. But I didn't have a permanent home for it, so after a while it just pooped out on me.

I now have a Cannon MFC-J6710dw and am very happy.

Scans are crystal clear, and prints color 11x17 as well.

I use a Mustek A3 scanner with Windows 7.

First, the online reviews for it are mixed at best, you either love it or hate it. And customer support seems to be non-existent. However, my personal experience seem to be much better. The TWAIN driver isn't great but it works good enough for me.

I will say I'm on my 3rd Mustek.

The first one had a SCSI interface (as they say, if you have to ask...). I abandoned it for a USB interface.

The second one got LOTS of usage. But it a weird flaw. The underside of the glass had some kind of hazy residue on it. Rubbing alcohol and Windex couldn't get it off. And there seemed to be something that looked like a hair that was burned into the glass. Neither of these problems seemed to affect my scans. One day it just stopped working.

Using my 3rd.

Not sure about other scanners (e.g. Epson Workforce) but one advantage of the Mustek is that the lid will lift off a little bit. That comes in handy if you're scanning a paperback cover or something.

And the lid will come off all the way. That allows you to scan really big pieces in parts. I used to take pictures of large comic art. I decided to start using the scanner. I'll scan large art in 3 parts which overlap. Then crop and put the pieces together. Still have a bunch of large art to scan. The Mustek has a lower profile than the Epson Workforce so it's easier to support the art that's not laying on the scanner.

This is last large art I scanned:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1292978

Note, the bottom of the scanner isn't sealed so dust can get in. I've never sealed it but maybe I should get some tape to cover up the openings.

Mustek's technical info says it works with Windows 7. Anyway, I went back and forth with the included drivers and downloaded drivers. It took a while but somehow I got it working. This problem is why I won't do the free upgrade to Windows 10.

If you get a Mustek, get it from Amazon. If it doesn't work, do a return.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Y8E1XC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Yep and I make sure the bluelines come thru on the copy-they do. Another thing I do is scan in two pieces and merely post em together. It has a line in the middle but people can see whats going on:

warjmx.jpg

6qv2ub.jpg

Yeah, I hear the MUSTEK is like a Hyundai, a reliable yet lesser brand name to the EPSON which is more like a Toyota or even a Lexus, where it's a much more reliable brand. A lot of casual amateurs use the Mustek, but the more choosy pros use the Epson.

The EPSON supposedly has a printer that has the same quality output as what some of the artists sell at conventions as prints, since many of the artists use it to print their prints they sell.

With the price being so low for the Epson, I'd go with that brand. Again, the biggest barrier could be the size of the actual machine, so check out the dimensions to ensure you have room for it.