• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you value a NM 98 CGC 9.8 with OW to W pages compared to WP?

95 posts in this topic

There is literally 0 dollars difference between copies with "white pages" on the label versus those with "off white white" so don't lose any sleep over it. (thumbs u

-J.

I am actually quite surprised about this, especially considering how board members seem to focus so much on PQ with the newer more common books like NM 98. :o

Good to know that it is basically a wash when it comes to white pages vs OW/W. (thumbs u

No reason to be surprised, as the Jaydogs post is absolutely inaccurate in every facet.

Jim

...so then feel free to post some recent sales links, like I did, to prove me wrong.

Oh wait... :eyeroll:

And, yes, while few copies of NM 98 seem to have "ow/w" pages on the label, there is absolutely no substantive or consistent difference in final prices realized either way. Any casual perusal of ebay sales bears this out, in spite of your needlessly snarky and unsupported assertions. (thumbs u

-J.

.... using past sales of OW/W versus White copies may be misleading. Unfortunately, it is the only "data" related comparison available if one wishes to focus on that aspect. While many collectors do care for the best PQ that they can get at the time, there are also other considerations, such as QP (Quality of Production) and venue loyalty (.... or avoidance) that can also have a significant impact on the final price. An ugly or overgraded book may sell for less no matter what the PQ is.... and at present, there is no way to quantify those other aspects of a books desirability. I love books that truly have white pages and will pay a bit more..... providing the rest of the book is also adequate. To rely strictly on data can be disingenuous when so much of the item's appeal is aesthetic, and can vary from person to person. Other factors will also affect pricing data, such as time of year, current economic conditions, number of interested parties, and of course, scarcity of the book with top PQ. Trying to simplify or generalize based on pricing data can be dangerous.... as each copy is different and it's desirability should be assessed in a cumulative manner. 2c GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Exactly....the only way to truly measure it would be to auction off two copies of the exact same book, with the exact QP, and one being white pages, and the other being ow/w. 99 times out of a hundred the white pager will sell for more.

Jim

Using your own now narrowed and highly qualified criteria, it still only took exactly three minutes to prove you wrong (again):

"OW/W"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-NEW-MUTANTS-98-CGC-9-8-1ST-DEADPOOL-/262281327671?hash=item3d112f7437%3Ag%3AQXEAAOSwu4BV0C1k&nma=true&si=4x1dlkWqkw018nq9YkZPEroyRHA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"W"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-98-CGC-9-8-/172094535192?hash=item2811a23618%3Ag%3A6fIAAOSwezVWuQew&nma=true&si=4x1dlkWqkw018nq9YkZPEroyRHA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"OW/W"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-New-Mutants-98-CGC-9-8-First-Appearance-of-Deadpool-/331774526527?hash=item4d3f4d843f%3Am%3Am0X-kuxB574jAUQsM_d_rAA&nma=true&si=4x1dlkWqkw018nq9YkZPEroyRHA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"W"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-New-Mutants-98-9-8-CGC-White-Pages-First-Appearance-of-Deadpool-/331774527546?hash=item4d3f4d883a%3Am%3AmA4Ggz28FRfewFKccUk_iIw&nma=true&si=4x1dlkWqkw018nq9YkZPEroyRHA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

As is plainly visible from the examples provided, in four auctions, that closed proximate to each other, the books finished within $15 dollars of each other either way, all well within the normal, typical closing price range of the book over the last two weeks.

In other words, no difference in price based on the so-called "PQ" on the label. At all. (thumbs u

-J.

I'm not sure how showing an OWW that sold for $810 and a W that sold for $820 (same seller, 15 minutes apart), or a single-bid, high starting price "auction" helps the point you're trying to make, but whatever.

Regardless, the comics market is far too inefficient to be able to quantify how specific factors influence prices. There are even multiple examples of people auctioning two of the same item with different grades at the exact same time through the same venue and the lower grade copy selling for more. But I don't think that's going to cause anybody to claim that grade doesn't influence prices.

Just because something is difficult - or even impossible - to quantify, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

There is literally 0 dollars difference between copies with "white pages" on the label versus those with "off white white" so don't lose any sleep over it. (thumbs u

-J.

I am actually quite surprised about this, especially considering how board members seem to focus so much on PQ with the newer more common books like NM 98. :o

Good to know that it is basically a wash when it comes to white pages vs OW/W. (thumbs u

No reason to be surprised, as the Jaydogs post is absolutely inaccurate in every facet.

Jim

...so then feel free to post some recent sales links, like I did, to prove me wrong.

And, yes, while few copies of NM 98 seem to have "ow/w" pages on the label, there is absolutely no substantive or consistent difference in final prices realized either way. Any casual perusal of ebay sales bears this out, in spite of your needlessly snarky and unsupported assertions. (thumbs u

-J.

.... using past sales of OW/W versus White copies may be misleading. Unfortunately, it is the only "data" related comparison available if one wishes to focus on that aspect. While many collectors do care for the best PQ that they can get at the time, there are also other considerations, such as QP (Quality of Production) and venue loyalty (.... or avoidance) that can also have a significant impact on the final price. An ugly or overgraded book may sell for less no matter what the PQ is.... and at present, there is no way to quantify those other aspects of a books desirability. I love books that truly have white pages and will pay a bit more..... providing the rest of the book is also adequate. To rely strictly on data can be disingenuous when so much of the item's appeal is aesthetic, and can vary from person to person. Other factors will also affect pricing data, such as time of year, current economic conditions, number of interested parties, and of course, scarcity of the book with top PQ. Trying to simplify or generalize based on pricing data can be dangerous.... as each copy is different and it's desirability should be assessed in a cumulative manner. 2c GOD BLESS...

Exactly....the only way to truly measure it would be to auction off two copies of the exact same book, with the exact QP, and one being white pages, and the other being ow/w. 99 times out of a hundred the white pager will sell for more.

Jim

Using your own now narrowed and highly qualified criteria, it still only took exactly three minutes to prove you wrong (again):

"OW/W"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-NEW-MUTANTS-98-CGC-9-8-1ST-DEADPOOL-/262281327671?hash=item3d112f7437%3Ag%3AQXEAAOSwu4BV0C1k&nma=true&si=4x1dlkWqkw018nq9YkZPEroyRHA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"W"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-98-CGC-9-8-/172094535192?hash=item2811a23618%3Ag%3A6fIAAOSwezVWuQew&nma=true&si=4x1dlkWqkw018nq9YkZPEroyRHA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"OW/W"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-New-Mutants-98-CGC-9-8-First-Appearance-of-Deadpool-/331774526527?hash=item4d3f4d843f%3Am%3Am0X-kuxB574jAUQsM_d_rAA&nma=true&si=4x1dlkWqkw018nq9YkZPEroyRHA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"W"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-New-Mutants-98-9-8-CGC-White-Pages-First-Appearance-of-Deadpool-/331774527546?hash=item4d3f4d883a%3Am%3AmA4Ggz28FRfewFKccUk_iIw&nma=true&si=4x1dlkWqkw018nq9YkZPEroyRHA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

As is plainly visible from the examples provided, in four auctions, that closed proximate to each other, the books finished within $15 dollars of each other either way, all well within the normal, typical closing price range of the book over the last two weeks.

In other words, no difference in price based on the so-called "PQ" on the label. At all. (thumbs u

-J.

I'm not sure how showing an OWW that sold for $810 and a W that sold for $820 (same seller, 15 minutes apart), or a single-bid, high starting price "auction" helps the point you're trying to make, but whatever.

Regardless, the comics market is far too inefficient to be able to quantify how specific factors influence prices. There are even multiple examples of people auctioning two of the same item with different grades at the exact same time through the same venue and the lower grade copy selling for more. But I don't think that's going to cause anybody to claim that grade doesn't influence prices.

Just because something is difficult - or even impossible - to quantify, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I'm not sure unsupported, blanket statments are more persuasive than actual, multiple hard data points that not only suggest but actually prove the exact opposite, but whatever. No matter how many overlays or conditions anyone tries to put on the analysis they will never be able to demonstrate that the alleged "PQ" on the label affects prices one whit either way. Why? Because it doesn't. Not one single iota. Period.

And if something cannot be proven to exist it usually means it does not. Science. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

Jim

-J.

Jim

"OW/W"

"W"

"OW/W"

"W"

-J.

I'm not sure unsupported, blanket statments are more persuasive than actual, multiple hard data points that not only suggest but actually prove the exact opposite, but whatever. No matter how many overlays or conditions anyone tries to put on the analysis they will never be able to demonstrate that the alleged "PQ" on the label affects prices one whit either way. Why? Because it doesn't. Not one single iota. Period.

And if something cannot be proven to exist it usually means it does not. Science. (thumbs u

-J.

1. You realize the WHITE copy sold for $820, which is MORE than the OWW copy at $810, right? Same seller, same venue, same time (within 15 minutes), which removes from the equation many variable factors which can influence prices.

2. You place far too much importance on (very limited) "hard data points" while obviously lacking any understanding of statistics or logic.

-J.

Jim

-J.

Jim

"OW/W"

"W"

"OW/W"

"W"

-J.

-J.

1. You realize the WHITE copy sold for $820, which is MORE than the OWW copy at $810, right? Same seller, same venue, same time (within 15 minutes), which removes from the equation many variable factors which can influence prices.

2. You place far too much importance on (very limited) "hard data points" while obviously lacking any understanding of statistics or logic.

1. You realize the "OW/W" pages copy sold for $850 which is $40 MORE than the "W" copy did that same day for $810, right ? And that all of those sales prices are well within the same typical price range fluctuations that the book has been selling in for weeks REGARDLESS of the so-called meaningless "PQ" on the label, right ?

Oh Look! Here's a copy with "white pages" on the label that "only" sold for $800, and at the height of movie hype: lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-New-Mutants-98-CGC-9-8-1st-Appearance-of-DEADPOOL-/182027728116?hash=item2a61b2b4f4%3Ag%3AShwAAOSwQYZWxRao&nma=true&si=xbID1M6Roi55pQZ3XgzvrSjCRBk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

2. You place far too much importance on your own speculation and opinions without any understanding and in total disregard of reality and facts. "Very limited" data points beats the "no data points" that you are attempting to use.

3. You're more interesting when you post under your other username(s). ;)

-J.

-J.

Jim

-J.

Jim

"OW/W"

"W"

"OW/W"

"W"

-J.

-J.

Um exactly...the two books that are represented and shared the exact same characteristics, similar centering, same seller, etc etc The white page book out performed the OW-W page book. That's actually a near perfect litmus test and I was correct.

And in real world practices, by real world dealers, if he's got these exact same two books, he is pricing the white pager at a premium to the OW/W pager. That's just how it works in the real world.

Jim

So this was my exact wording and hypothesis "the only way to truly measure it would be to auction off two copies of the exact same book, with the exact QP, and one being white pages, and the other being ow/w. 99 times out of a hundred the white pager will sell for more."

And then you provided the findings/proof for me.

"OW/W"

"W"

Same seller, same pics, same centering...the white pages sells for more :news:

Game, set and match...can we now move on? :wishuck:

Jim

So this was my exact wording and hypothesis "the only way to truly measure it would be to auction off two copies of the exact same book, with the exact QP, and one being white pages, and the other being ow/w. 99 times out of a hundred the white pager will sell for more."

And then you provided the findings/proof for me.

"OW/W"

"W"

Same seller, same pics, same centering...the white pages sells for more :news:

Game, set and match...can we now move on? :wishuck:

Jim

Seriously Jim you're not even trying.

As has already been pointed out, that is a negligible difference in price that is well within the range the book has been selling regardless of the alleged "PQ" on the label. If a ten dollar difference in price either way to you is a) significant and b) definitive evidence that the buyer "must have" paid that extra $10 because the label says "white pages", then yes we can move on, because this "debate" has truly descended into the ridiculous.

:gossip: We won't even mention the other cited data point that you conveniently and tellingly ignored where the "OW/W" book sold for more than the so-called "white pages" copy.

Oh yeah and then there's also this :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-New-Mutants-98-Feb-1991-Marvel-CGC-9-6-Off-White-to-White-Pages-/201528494281?hash=item2eec08c8c9%3Ag%3AK-0AAOSw%7EOVWx3QA&nma=true&si=xbID1M6Roi55pQZ3XgzvrSjCRBk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-98-1991-Marvel-CGC-9-6-NM-1st-Deadpool-/152000323112?hash=item2363ecde28%3Ag%3Al1IAAOSwKtVW1ay2&nma=true&si=xbID1M6Roi55pQZ3XgzvrSjCRBk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

What was the point again ?

Oh right, that there is absolutely no discernible , significant , or consistent differences in prices based on the so-called "PQ" on the label.

Game, set, match indeed.

-J.

Oh right, that there is absolutely no discernible , significant , or consistent differences in prices based on the so-called "PQ" on the label.

I'm curious why you continue to share this tidbit of information multiple times in multiple threads. Are you doing it as some kind of public service announcement?

I'm curious why you continue to share this tidbit of information multiple times in multiple threads. Are you doing it as some kind of public service announcement?

Yes. (thumbs u

I can perform the analysis on virtually any book from any age and reach the same conclusion.

I heart myth busting. :cloud9:

-J.

Yes. (thumbs uI can perform the analysis on virtually any book from any age and reach the same conclusion. I heart myth busting. :cloud9:-J.

Has Jaydog actually convinced anyone that the PQ does not factor in to the price ? If so, show yourself.

I'm still waiting for someone to actually show that it consistently does, or to any meaningful extent whatsoever (and no, just saying that it does, doesn't count). :tonofbricks:

-J.

Has Jaydog actually convinced anyone that the PQ does not factor in to the price ? If so, show yourself.

I tend to agree with Jay, that sales data support the assertion that PQ on average does not drive increased value on a book on the whole.

However, I think the reason it is so heatedly discussed is that this is primarily (first and foremost) a Collector's Society and we hold a higher standard to our hobby versus the general public. When I'm dealing with people outside the boards I see more people buy the "grade and not the book" while the exact opposite happens here (or at the very least is preached). Because so many (remember we here make up very little of the total buying market) are willing to accept multiple flaws as long as a grade is high enough then it logically follows that the data honestly supports that buying behavior doesn't show PQ preferences in the general market.

If you separate the Collectors here from the rest of the speculating, flipping, trend following, band-wagon joining general public - it is fairly clear why Jay's data is accurate and also counterintuitive to people's personal opinions/preferences here. In a way everyone is right on this one to a extent.

:shrug:

Personally I would never pay a premium for WP unless statically they are rare AND the book itself presented extremely well. I however only collect Silver and Golden age books. That being said I bought my brother a NM 98 9.2 for his birthday two years ago and I chose one with WP because it presented better, but the price wasn't any different than a copy with OW-W pages. :grin:

Again,

However, there are many examples of CGC's PQ inconsistencies as well, so that is something to consider.

Yes. (thumbs u

I can perform the analysis on virtually any book from any age and reach the same conclusion.

I heart myth busting. :cloud9:

-J.

I know you always reach the same conclusion. That's pretty evident from your posts.

Though anyone with a basic understanding of statistics would think what you're being generous with the word analysis.