• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage and Comiclink - bidding from overseas

23 posts in this topic

Queries for those living in an inconvenient time zone for these auction houses, do you:

- have a way of proxy sniping

- stay up super late to snipe live

- get up super early to snipe live

- bid your max bid early and let the Canucks and Yankies walk you calmly to your maximum

The older I get the less likely I am to want to lose sleep for funny books... and dreaming of a better solution :P

Nope... Im in the same boat as you (in Belgium). Missed on a book last year because I miscalculated the time to set my alarm for, and woke up 5 minutes after the lot had closed on CLink.

Looks like something called Gavelsnipe worked for heritage.

Queries for those living in an inconvenient time zone for these auction houses, do you:

That would be me.

Always very tempting, but when there are three consecutive sessions closing all during weekdays, I am more likely to miss out altogether.

- bid your max bid early and let the Canucks and Yankies walk you calmly to your maximum

The older I get the less likely I am to want to lose sleep for funny books... and dreaming of a better solution :P

I've never been willing to stay up late to bid live or snipe. For highly sought after books, the benefit of sniping is completely illusory, because if you're sniping, odds are other people are sniping too and everyone's going to end up putting in their best bid. Your bid is either good enough or it's not.

I just put in my max bid shortly before internet bidding ends, and then go to sleep and check out the results when I wake up.

Again, for highly sought after books, this idea of the awake bidders walking you up to your maximum is illusory. They either want it or they don't, and they have their own ideas of the max bids they're willing to put in.

Think about it. If there's a book that's been sitting at $50, and lots of people want and everyone thinks it's worth at least $100, and I don't submit my $51 bid until the last nano-second, does anyone think that I'm going to win it at $51 because I waited until the last second? Or if I wait until the last second to put in my bid of $100, that I'm going to get it for significantly less than $100, because no one has time to walk me up? Of course not. Some other guys are putting in their bids of $100 and will either win it at that price or push me up.

And, of course, with Heritage you can't snipe anyway because it's a live auction.

As was recently brought up in another thread, there's something to be said for putting in your max bid on Heritage and ignoring the live bidding, lest you get carried away and spend more than you should. Spoken from sad experience!

- watch it and bid while at work

:whistle:

Is there a reason that Clink auctions end on Tuesday's? If they ended on the weekend then surely that would attract more overseas bidders.

probably to not compete with HA.

They're probably afraid that should they be ending same time they'll lose eyes and dollars.

Is there a reason that Clink auctions end on Tuesday's? If they ended on the weekend then surely that would attract more overseas bidders.

For sure! Even when I lived in Canada, I was often stuck at work whilst the bidding closed :P

- watch it and bid while at work

:whistle:

I'm telling.

Clink auction end times are spread out over several days, often Tues-Thurs, sometimes Tues-Friday.

That 19.5% fee for winning an ha auction really seems a bit greedy

I think it's been shown repeatedly that the net affect on prices for the winning bidder is nil.

(in otherwords bidders factor the fee into their bid, and HA even does it at the time of bid so you can see it) If there was no fee (like in CLink) the bids would just be that much higher.

That 19.5% fee for winning an ha auction really seems a bit greedy

I think it's been shown repeatedly that the net affect on prices for the winning bidder is nil.

(in otherwords bidders factor the fee into their bid, and HA even does it at the time of bid so you can see it) If there was no fee (like in CLink) the bids would just be that much higher.

True, it is made clear to the bidder what their high bid will be including the buyer's premium. Auctions have also been conducted that way for centuries. It really only hurts the seller - unless a special arrangement has been made in advance with the auction house.

But in any event, I demand auction close at a convenient time of day/week for ME (!)

Clink auction end times are spread out over several days, often Tues-Thurs, sometimes Tues-Friday.

....yeah, but the only books worth having are in the first half of the alphabet! lol