• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay X-men 94 from CGC 4.5 to raw 9.0

66 posts in this topic

What a douchebag.

Cracked this 4.5 out:

s-l1600.jpg

and failed to mention the light water stains on both front and rear covers in this listing

No offence intended, but surely he's entitled to disagree with CGC ?

Freedom of speech and thought and all that - have you never disagreed with someone else's opinion ?

What a douchebag.

Cracked this 4.5 out:

s-l1600.jpg

and failed to mention the light water stains on both front and rear covers in this listing

Freedom of speech and thought and all that - have you never disagreed with someone else's opinion ?

yep he gets to disagree.... but are you saying you agree with his assessment of that book as a VF/NM copy?

I know he makes a point to say "in my opinion" which is always an eBay red flag to me, but when your opinion is that far out of line with a reputable grader, do you think its just a difference of opinion, or an attempt to deceive the buyer about the condition (and therefor the value) of the book?

Anybody send him a message asking how he thinks it went from 4.5 to 9.0 just by being cracked out?

I'd be curious to hear his response

Crickets is pretty much what you'd hear, I'd imagine.

If that were my book, I'd probably crack it, press it and call it a FN+.

(saying this while I'm only going only by the FC pic and talk of light stains)

Or I'd leave it slabbed, set it at the highest EVER BIN ale on GPA for a 4.5/5.0....post up the graders' notes so potential buyers would see it had room for improvement.

With either approach, it should be good for about 300.

What I wouldn't do is call a book that *looks* like it could be a HG at first glance, but has hidden stains and rippling, a VF/NM.

That is straight up deceitful.

If it sells, odds are the buyer will return it.Or the buyer may only have a transient grasp on grading and be suckered.Which actually may prove to be the case here.

But to think that somehow you "can only trust boardies, never an eBay seller" is on a paralell with buying a softly graded book from Joe Blow Overstreet Advisor and acceping a GD , graded at VG.

No matter who/where you buy from, it boils down to your persomal ability to look at FC/BC scans....read the description and get a feel for what sort of character you're dealing with.

I trust my ability to grade (honed skill) and all the moreso...my ability to read between the lines(instinct) much more than anyones assigned grade.Skill and instinctively being able to spot d-baggery in various forms is about as solid of a punch as you can get.

I'd like to see a link to the original eBay BIN listing that Timmay listed the book while it was slabbed and the listing by Timmay's buyer, who left out the water stains and graded it as VF/NM.

Compare and contrast that soiciological study....

Oh look. He ended the auction... I asked him why, he said this.

I ended the auction on the Xmen 94 not because it was the same item in the case as mentioned in the CGC forum but because I received several threatening messages and some one asking me where I lived. I am very disappointed but after talking to my wife and son (whom we do as a hobby/fun/ try to earn him some college money) and reading the hateful and wrong things on the CGC forum decided to end the item, send it in to get graded and move on.

Thanks

Mark

So if anyone wants to follow this seller you can watch and see what the book comes back as after he sends it in .

Unless he just relists it again in a few weeks .

Despite gripes people may have with CGC at times, the grading is fairly consistent. If you send that book back to them, based on the info we have, it is going to get a 4.5 or chance of moving to a 5.0. As has been discussed in other threads, CGC seems to be very hard on staining when it come to grading books. If the new owner intends to press and clean the book, it will move up in grading. Personally with all those spine ticks and color breaks, I can not imagine the book would be graded higher than about a 7.5.

This is when I buy high value books of eBay, I do usually go for slabbed books. It is not a perfect system, and you pay a premium that way, but you do know what you are getting. On books under about $100, I will take a chance on raw copies, but really scrutinize the pictures, and very frequently ask the seller questions. I have returned books that were misrepresented.

I ended the auction on the Xmen 94 not because it was the same item in the case as mentioned in the CGC forum but because I received several threatening messages and some one asking me where I lived.

So...is he denying it's the same book you sold him....or just stating that's not the reason he pulled the book? He talks about sending it in for grading now, so it seems like it's the former.

And If he's saying it's not the same book, then he's a liar as well as a dirtbag. The color breaking marks on the book match exactly and are a dead giveaway that it's the same book.

Oh look. He ended the auction... I asked him why, he said this.

I ended the auction on the Xmen 94 not because it was the same item in the case as mentioned in the CGC forum but because I received several threatening messages and some one asking me where I lived. I am very disappointed but after talking to my wife and son (whom we do as a hobby/fun/ try to earn him some college money) and reading the hateful and wrong things on the CGC forum decided to end the item, send it in to get graded and move on.

Thanks

Mark

So if anyone wants to follow this seller you can watch and see what the book comes back as after he sends it in .

Unless he just relists it again in a few weeks .

Nice to know he involves his family in his scams. The family that scams together rots in hell together. :cloud9:

What a douchebag.

Cracked this 4.5 out:

s-l1600.jpg

I have no issues with him disagreeing with CGC. However when he uses CGC terminology (9.0) he is not in the right in my opinion. If he left it at VF/NM he would at least have had some wriggle room.

The part most people seem to forget is that lower grade books are actually easier to identify by distinguishing marks. If somebody cracked open a 9+ book, I highly doubt I could identify individual copies.

We've identified CGC 9.6 books that have been cracked, pressed and regradded as 9.8. The wonders of high res scans.

The part most people seem to forget is that lower grade books are actually easier to identify by distinguishing marks. If somebody cracked open a 9+ book, I highly doubt I could identify individual copies.

We've identified CGC 9.6 books that have been cracked, pressed and regradded as 9.8. The wonders of high res scans.

:o OldGuy appearance? What is this? 2004? Can we get an obligatory "go fist yourself" somewhere in the thread even if it's not strictly necessary for someone to fist themselves?