• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inside pages taped together

14 posts in this topic

After going through tens of thousands of comics in the last 14 years, I came across a first (for me anyway) today.

I opened up a Black Panther #3 from 1977 and started page counting when I noticed a small piece of tape on the right side of page 3. When I continued, the next 2 pages came with pages 3/4. Whoever owned this book previously had placed a piece of tape over pages 3 and 6 so when he read the comic he wouldn't have to look at all of the ads on pages 4 and 5. And he did this throughout the book in 6 different places. He even taped page 31 to the back cover so he wouldn't have to look at the ads on page 32.

The owner was either very lazy or very efficient. Have you guys ever seen any comics like this before?

That's a new one on me. It sounds like something a compulsively "neatnik"-type of kid would have done for who knows what reason.

I had an FF #1 once that had every image of the Human Torch neatly clipped from every page on which the character appeared. I'd like to think that out there, somewhere, is a 5th grade textbook cover made out of a brown paper grocery bag and festooned with tiny newsprint images of Johnny Storm...

This sort of "abuse" seems strange to us today, but it's also a nice reminder that, once upon a time, comic books were cheap, disposable entertainment which were enjoyed in all sorts of ways by a mostly young, creative, and carefree audience...

I have 8 early issues of Marvel Collector Item Classics where some kid carefully outlined characters in non bleed felt pen. For some reason it doesn't bother me.

Around 1967, when those cheesy Marvel cartoons were airing, my Cousin Tom went thru his comics and carefully cut out numerous figures. He then uses paste to attach them to cardboard, and trimmed that ,as well. Then he attached ice cream stick to cardboard and created his own Marvel cartoons/puppet shows.

He then did the same with his Batman cards. Kool stuff when we were in third grade.

Weirdest one I ever got was in a batch-purchase from a LCS. Beautiful book, NM.

When I finally got around to pulling it out of the bag some jerkwad had glued all the pages together. A pretty paper brick.

I had to laugh. Thinking about how long it may've been in the aftermarket, how many hands it may've gone through. Nobody ever bothering to slip it from its bag. Good one. Joke's on me you glue sniffin' pube, wherever you are.

When I finally got around to pulling it out of the bag some jerkwad had glued all the pages together. A pretty paper brick.

I had to laugh. Thinking about how long it may've been in the aftermarket, how many hands it may've gone through. Nobody ever bothering to slip it from its bag. Good one. Joke's on me you glue sniffin' pube, wherever you are.

lol

I opened up a Black Panther #3 from 1977 and started page counting when I noticed a small piece of tape on the right side of page 3. When I continued, the next 2 pages came with pages 3/4. Whoever owned this book previously had placed a piece of tape over pages 3 and 6 so when he read the comic he wouldn't have to look at all of the ads on pages 4 and 5. And he did this throughout the book in 6 different places. He even taped page 31 to the back cover so he wouldn't have to look at the ads on page 32.

Let's see a picture!

lol

:D

After going through tens of thousands of comics in the last 14 years, I came across a first (for me anyway) today.

The owner was either very lazy or very efficient. Have you guys ever seen any comics like this before?

No ads makes it eligible for media mail.

I had a copy of Iron Fist #14 that was like this. Except the guy used glue :facepalm:

OO had a real hard on for ads, clearly.

Still sold for $50 :cool: