• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicArtFans Art Archive - No one uses it?

13 posts in this topic

For several year nowCAF, has had the art archive, a feature that I really like, and think it is implemented really well. But it seems to me that hardly anyone uses it.

For instance, a search for Fables interior pages gives you several hundred results, while the number of pages in the archive is far fewer. Same with 100 bullets and I am sure much else.

I think that putting a piece on the archive does not require much effort. Especially as most modern pages have the issue # and page written on the art itself.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

I've entered mine. However, while it's easy to search for and enter the information:

• If you want to enter a new comic, you have to wait about 6 months to ensure that the GCD data in the CAF will have it.
  • And if you are a user with lots of pages already on the CAF, it's a lot of work to update them.

Yeah, but realistically, how many people buy comic art for a comic that was published in the last 6 months?

And I know it is a lot of work, but you need only do it once, and how long can it take? I mean, most people are not Stephen Donelly. :)

I think I assign artwork sometimes but I am not really sure what the purpose is. Maybe that's why I just forget about it. Anyone care to explain it better?

Additionally, If I add a piece and then sell/deactivate the pice and remove it from my CAF (as opposed to putting it in my "gone but not forgotten" folder :facepalm: ) does the page get removed?

Or does it stay, thereby the system is just used to account for a pages existence (more of an older page necessity)

I think I assign artwork sometimes but I am not really sure what the purpose is. Maybe that's why I just forget about it. Anyone care to explain it better?

Additionally, If I add a piece and then sell/deactivate the pice and remove it from my CAF (as opposed to putting it in my "gone but not forgotten" folder :facepalm: ) does the page get removed?

Or does it stay, thereby the system is just used to account for a pages existence (more of an older page necessity)

I think, being an archive, it stays.

I haven't removed a piece from my CAF yet, so I'm not positive about this.

Someone must have archived a piece that was later removed, it'd be great to hear what they say.

I assigned my pieces to the archive as I first entered them.

An update for those who care:

I just visited CAF and viewed the archive.

I found that if you go to a particular issue (like Fantastic Four #63), the list says "1 page" under the "assigned" column.

I clicked on the issue number (63) and there are thumbnails of 2 separate pages, not one, that can be seen.

When I clicked on one of the thumbnails, the message "We're Sorry! The item you are looking has been removed by the Owner." is displayed.

The other thumbnail takes you to the member's gallery where the piece resides.

So: if a piece is archived but removed from the CAF, only the thumbnail remains in the archive and the page is no longer included in the number of pages assigned to a particular issue under the Series Title.

I suppose if only 1 page has been assigned to a particular issue and that page is removed, then the issue # doesn't even show up in the Series Title list any more.

When I was hoarding Starman art I enjoyed using it to locate pages or just look at all the pages from one issue and picture the day when they were all mine.

:insane:

It is cool to look at your pages and see them sitting next to other pages from the same issue. I do like that.

Yeah, that is precisely the reason why the archive is good; you can see art from an issue you like in an easier way. Instead of searching for it via keywords, which doesn't always produce the best results.