• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay seller insisting on Sig confirmation, why???

109 posts in this topic

Protects a seller from a successful buyer claim that he didn't receive the book :shrug:

A claim to PayPal?

If so then the sig does not add any extra protection.

Because your seller has been burned in the past and doesn't want to be burned again.

:idea: That was my first thought. All it takes is one time.

My thought as well. It might not be a lot of money to you, but it could be to the seller. If it gets lost, they're out the original purchase, AND the book.

There are some sellers that do the same with me through ebay, and sometimes even on the boards. If it's that much of an inconvenience to you, just make a note to make this the last purchase from them. Just as a note, I've never had the post office lose something that was being held for signature confirmation.

:wishluck:

The buyer paid for insurance. If the package is lost then the seller is covered. Signature adds no extra level of insurance. It does appear to add a level of confidence for some.

If what you're saying is true, then the post office can deliver the package (no sig. from buyer). If the buyer gets the book and claims it never came or if it gets taken from somebody else because it's sitting in the open, how would you prove an insurance claim to get the money back? If sig. confirmation is included, every party (including the P.O. who decides on insurance claims) will know the package was signed for, which cancels out both scenarios I mentioned above.

Because your seller has been burned in the past and doesn't want to be burned again.

My thought as well. It might not be a lot of money to you, but it could be to the seller. If it gets lost, they're out the original purchase, AND the book.

There are some sellers that do the same with me through ebay, and sometimes even on the boards. If it's that much of an inconvenience to you, just make a note to make this the last purchase from them. Just as a note, I've never had the post office lose something that was being held for signature confirmation.

The buyer paid for insurance. If the package is lost then the seller is covered. Signature adds no extra level of insurance. It does appear to add a level of confidence for some.

If what you're saying is true, then the post office can deliver the package (no sig. from buyer). If the buyer gets the book and claims it never came or if it gets taken from somebody else because it's sitting in the open, how would you prove an insurance claim to get the money back? If sig. confirmation is included, every party (including the P.O. who decides on insurance claims) will know the package was signed for, which cancels out both scenarios I mentioned above.

What I'm saying is true. There is not even a debate. There is always something else to fear and increase costs. The debate here 5 years ago was just like this thread except insert "tracking" for "signature". Just another fad to play on the fear of buyers/sellers to increase costs. The answer is education.

For items under $750 you already have 2 forms of insurance so long as you track the item. You followed paypal's policy and are protected from chargebacks. You also have postal insurance to protect from loss. You are covered.

To answer your question, there is no money to get back. If the parcel is stolen from a front porch then the seller has already been paid for the item via PayPal and is protected from a chargeback.

When I sell an item on Ebay over $200, and purchase my shipping label there, they do recommend getting signature confirmation. I usually do that for my protection, and certainly on comics over $500. But I don't do a separate charge for it.

They are advertising for sales and you buy it. It's your money. It just doesn't add any extra level of protection.

What I'm saying is true. There is not even a debate. There is always something else to fear and increase costs. The debate here 5 years ago was just like this thread except insert "tracking" for "signature". Just another fad to play on the fear of buyers/sellers to increase costs. The answer is education.

For items under $750 you already have 2 forms of insurance so long as you track the item. You followed paypal's policy and are protected from chargebacks. You also have postal insurance to protect from loss. You are covered.

To answer your question, there is no money to get back. If the parcel is stolen from a front porch then the seller has already been paid for the item via PayPal and is protected from a chargeback.

How would you know eBay wouldn't side with the buyer and automatically take your money back for a refund?

Bought a book on Ebay yesterday through best offer.

On top of the $10.50 or so already charged for shipping, they want another $7.05 for insurance and signature confirmation, whatever, I paid it in a separate invoice they sent me.

After paying the seller messages me that it will be sent out well packed first thing Monday, and should arrive Wednesday or Thursday, great.

That all sounds good to me, except one thing, no one will be there to sign for it during the week, and going to the PO to pick it up is a huge P.I.T.A. for me to the point of almost being impossible with my schedule, so I message them back asking if they can just send it delivery confirmation, like the 1000 plus other books I've bought on ebay, so they can just leave it on my porch where I can easy get it when I get home.

Seller messages back "No Andrew, it will be going out monday sig confirmation, you will have to pick it up at the PO, or wait till saturday for it to be delivered.

My fear is that it will sit around the PO for days since I can't pick it up, and get lost.

Or they will put it on the truck for delivery day after day during the week since there is no one home to sign for it during the week, and it will get lost in all that on the truck off the truck shuffling each day.

My question is, why would the seller not send it delivery confirmation like I'm asking, and instead insist on sig confirmation?

It's a $260 dollar book, so not cheap, but not some massive sum of money either.

I don't sell on Ebay, only buy, but I do a TON of buying, and this is the first time I've run into something like this.

Any thoughts from people on this?

Recently had a signature package sit at the PO for a week before I picked it up.

Your fears are unfounded. Just pick up your book on Saturday. (shrug)

How would you know eBay wouldn't side with the buyer and automatically take your money back for a refund?

Just read their terms or give them a call. I know from experience but for anyone else they simply need to research a little. It's just easier to add the extra cost and believe it is money well spent.

My PO sticks in a cabinet for a month after they try to deliver it once. You have to stop by that PO to pick it up.

Over $200 I usually require Signature Confirm as well.

Which is why costs keep going up. :)

My PO sticks in a cabinet for a month after they try to deliver it once. You have to stop by that PO to pick it up.

Over $200 I usually require Signature Confirm as well.

Which is why costs keep going up. :)

It isnt why it costs me more to ship to Canada I can tell u that. :)

You don't require a signature cross border?