• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay seller insisting on Sig confirmation, why???

109 posts in this topic

Because your seller has been burned in the past and doesn't want to be burned again.

:idea: That was my first thought. All it takes is one time.

My thought as well. It might not be a lot of money to you, but it could be to the seller. If it gets lost, they're out the original purchase, AND the book.

There are some sellers that do the same with me through ebay, and sometimes even on the boards. If it's that much of an inconvenience to you, just make a note to make this the last purchase from them. Just as a note, I've never had the post office lose something that was being held for signature confirmation.

:wishluck:

The buyer paid for insurance. If the package is lost then the seller is covered. Signature adds no extra level of insurance. It does appear to add a level of confidence for some.

If what you're saying is true, then the post office can deliver the package (no sig. from buyer). If the buyer gets the book and claims it never came or if it gets taken from somebody else because it's sitting in the open, how would you prove an insurance claim to get the money back? If sig. confirmation is included, every party (including the P.O. who decides on insurance claims) will know the package was signed for, which cancels out both scenarios I mentioned above.

What I'm saying is true. There is not even a debate. There is always something else to fear and increase costs. The debate here 5 years ago was just like this thread except insert "tracking" for "signature". Just another fad to play on the fear of buyers/sellers to increase costs. The answer is education.

For items under $750 you already have 2 forms of insurance so long as you track the item. You followed paypal's policy and are protected from chargebacks. You also have postal insurance to protect from loss. You are covered.

To answer your question, there is no money to get back. If the parcel is stolen from a front porch then the seller has already been paid for the item via PayPal and is protected from a chargeback.

How would you know eBay wouldn't side with the buyer and automatically take your money back for a refund?

Just read their terms or give them a call. I know from experience but for anyone else they simply need to research a little. It's just easier to add the extra cost and believe it is money well spent.

I just did some quick searching online and found some places where people had packages stolen. Almost all of the posters said that as long at it was under $250 (soon to be $750), then all you need is a delivery confirmation and you would win the case the majority of the time. I guess sig. confirmation just makes me feel safer, but I see what you're saying.

Because your seller has been burned in the past and doesn't want to be burned again.

My thought as well. It might not be a lot of money to you, but it could be to the seller. If it gets lost, they're out the original purchase, AND the book.

There are some sellers that do the same with me through ebay, and sometimes even on the boards. If it's that much of an inconvenience to you, just make a note to make this the last purchase from them. Just as a note, I've never had the post office lose something that was being held for signature confirmation.

The buyer paid for insurance. If the package is lost then the seller is covered. Signature adds no extra level of insurance. It does appear to add a level of confidence for some.

If what you're saying is true, then the post office can deliver the package (no sig. from buyer). If the buyer gets the book and claims it never came or if it gets taken from somebody else because it's sitting in the open, how would you prove an insurance claim to get the money back? If sig. confirmation is included, every party (including the P.O. who decides on insurance claims) will know the package was signed for, which cancels out both scenarios I mentioned above.

What I'm saying is true. There is not even a debate. There is always something else to fear and increase costs. The debate here 5 years ago was just like this thread except insert "tracking" for "signature". Just another fad to play on the fear of buyers/sellers to increase costs. The answer is education.

For items under $750 you already have 2 forms of insurance so long as you track the item. You followed paypal's policy and are protected from chargebacks. You also have postal insurance to protect from loss. You are covered.

To answer your question, there is no money to get back. If the parcel is stolen from a front porch then the seller has already been paid for the item via PayPal and is protected from a chargeback.

How would you know eBay wouldn't side with the buyer and automatically take your money back for a refund?

Just read their terms or give them a call. I know from experience but for anyone else they simply need to research a little. It's just easier to add the extra cost and believe it is money well spent.

I just did some quick searching online and found some places where people had packages stolen. Almost all of the posters said that as long at it was under $250 (soon to be $750), then all you need is a delivery confirmation and you would win the case the majority of the time. I guess sig. confirmation just makes me feel safer, but I see what you're saying.

And that's completely up to you. :) If it reduces the stress level then great. Money well spent. The sig confirmation just doesn't add anything else.

I'm sure there are things I do simply because I want to. Probably more than I'm willing to admit. Anyone in the business of selling comics would be wise to keep their costs under control and this is an unnecessary increase. It makes a seller less competitive from a costing pov but at the end of the day it's their business.

Was Meeklo's thread about losing a book sig confirmation? Because if it was that shouldn't give anyone confidence it does anything

I don't think I've seen that thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9002464&fpart=1

In this case, Meeklo was the buyer. My comments about sig. confirmation were referring to seller protection. If the seller shipped to Meeklo (whether he was the actual person to sign for it or not), I feel like the seller was off the hook. The rest was on the USPS.

And that's completely up to you. :) If it reduces the stress level then great. Money well spent. The sig confirmation just doesn't add anything else.

I'm sure there are things I do simply because I want to. Probably more than I'm willing to admit. Anyone in the business of selling comics would be wise to keep their costs under control and this is an unnecessary increase. It makes a seller less competitive from a costing pov but at the end of the day it's their business.

Knowing this, I probably won't do sig. confirmation anymore because I've never sold anything over $750. Thanks for the info! I never would've known...

Knowing this, I probably won't do sig. confirmation anymore because I've never sold anything over $750. Thanks for the info! I never would've known...

My pleasure. :)

Every package I send over $200 gets sig confirmation, whether the buyer likes it or not. My insurance company requires it in order for the shipment to be covered.

Two weeks ago the PO decided to use my Nova 1 9.8 as a pinata. Without that sig confirmation I would have been out of pocket $500+.

Bought a book on Ebay yesterday through best offer.

On top of the $10.50 or so already charged for shipping, they want another $7.05 for insurance and signature confirmation, whatever, I paid it in a separate invoice they sent me.

After paying the seller messages me that it will be sent out well packed first thing Monday, and should arrive Wednesday or Thursday, great.

That all sounds good to me, except one thing, no one will be there to sign for it during the week, and going to the PO to pick it up is a huge P.I.T.A. for me to the point of almost being impossible with my schedule, so I message them back asking if they can just send it delivery confirmation, like the 1000 plus other books I've bought on ebay, so they can just leave it on my porch where I can easy get it when I get home.

Seller messages back "No Andrew, it will be going out monday sig confirmation, you will have to pick it up at the PO, or wait till saturday for it to be delivered.

My fear is that it will sit around the PO for days since I can't pick it up, and get lost.

Or they will put it on the truck for delivery day after day during the week since there is no one home to sign for it during the week, and it will get lost in all that on the truck off the truck shuffling each day.

My question is, why would the seller not send it delivery confirmation like I'm asking, and instead insist on sig confirmation?

It's a $260 dollar book, so not cheap, but not some massive sum of money either.

I don't sell on Ebay, only buy, but I do a TON of buying, and this is the first time I've run into something like this.

Any thoughts from people on this?

Recently had a signature package sit at the PO for a week before I picked it up.

Your fears are unfounded. Just pick up your book on Saturday. (shrug)

This is the kind of reassurance I'm looking for.

I have moderate to severe obsessive compulsive disorder, which as many of you already know, is characterized by irrational fears and worries, and in this case, my fear is that the post office will lose my book if I'm not there to sign for it on the first delivery attempt.

I will just hope for the best and wait to see what happens, my rational side believes that everything will be fine, but my OCD side is creating one mental worst case scenario after another in my brain.

Thanks for all the responses, I feel slightly more at ease now.

Every package I send over $200 gets sig confirmation, whether the buyer likes it or not. My insurance company requires it in order for the shipment to be covered.

Two weeks ago the PO decided to use my Nova 1 9.8 as a pinata. Without that sig confirmation I would have been out of pocket $500+.

I'm sure there are many benefits to your private insurance. Neither PayPal or USPS have piñata insurance. ;)

Was Meeklo's thread about losing a book sig confirmation? Because if it was that shouldn't give anyone confidence it does anything

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9002464&fpart=1

In this case, Meeklo was the buyer. My comments about sig. confirmation were referring to seller protection. If the seller shipped to Meeklo (whether he was the actual person to sign for it or not), I feel like the seller was off the hook. The rest was on the USPS.

Correct, in my situation, the seller did everything correct. He even added signature confirmation and insurance even though I didn't ask for it. It was completely the fault of the delivery driver Daniel who did sign for the package himself. I'm currently working with the Inspector General on this still.

I can understand that the seller is requiring the signature confirmation as they were probably burned in the past. But it is still not 100% flawless. There is a way of "pre-signing" for the package though. Basically you are waving your right to complain about it missing or damaged and they will leave it at the doorstep. It is usually on the right side of the Tracking screen on USPS.com

My PO sticks in a cabinet for a month after they try to deliver it once. You have to stop by that PO to pick it up.

Over $200 I usually require Signature Confirm as well.

Which is why costs keep going up. :)

It isnt why it costs me more to ship to Canada I can tell u that. :)

You don't require a signature cross border?

Nah not to Canada. Its a shoot internationally. If its a high dollar item

I may change to a higher postage. Signature tracking is really not useful for international packages.

Canadian buyers want their shipping cheap, but when I explain the limits of 1st class and what it offer they usually use Flat Rate. Ive only use the higher equivalent maybe 5 times. International shipping has come a long way in the last few years.

Correct, in my situation, the seller did everything correct. He even added signature confirmation and insurance even though I didn't ask for it. It was completely the fault of the delivery driver Daniel who did sign for the package himself. I'm currently working with the Inspector General on this still.

I can understand that the seller is requiring the signature confirmation as they were probably burned in the past. But it is still not 100% flawless. There is a way of "pre-signing" for the package though. Basically you are waving your right to complain about it missing or damaged and they will leave it at the doorstep. It is usually on the right side of the Tracking screen on USPS.com

Really?

I didn't know that

Once it enters the system I will try to do that

Thanks

I'm sure there are many benefits to your private insurance. Neither PayPal or USPS have piñata insurance. ;)

My collection is insured. I'd rather pay $3 for sig confirmation and have it covered by the insurance I already have than pay more for USPS to cover it themselves.

USPS insurance sucks anyway. I felt bad enough that the buyer got a destroyed slab, now I am going to make him save the box, packing materials and shattered slab and schlep it to the post office to prove to the clerk that it was wrecked? Pictures weren't good enough according to the letter I got. Not impressed at all with how they handle claims.

The majority of USPS workers are honest and fulfill the obligations of their jobs. The outliers are often the ones we read about here. While there are drivers that sign for the packages themselves so they can just drop it off themselves, that rarely happens in comparison to the number of packages that utilize signature confirmation that we do not post nor read about.

I agree with a previous response that it is better off at the post office than your doorstep.

However, this should have been fully explained in the listing prior to purchase. If the seller wanted to use signature confirmation after the fact then they should have not charged you for it and eaten the $2 fee themselves.

Bought a book on Ebay yesterday through best offer.

On top of the $10.50 or so already charged for shipping, they want another $7.05 for insurance and signature confirmation, whatever, I paid it in a separate invoice they sent me.

After paying the seller messages me that it will be sent out well packed first thing Monday, and should arrive Wednesday or Thursday, great.

That all sounds good to me, except one thing, no one will be there to sign for it during the week, and going to the PO to pick it up is a huge P.I.T.A. for me to the point of almost being impossible with my schedule, so I message them back asking if they can just send it delivery confirmation, like the 1000 plus other books I've bought on ebay, so they can just leave it on my porch where I can easy get it when I get home.

Seller messages back "No Andrew, it will be going out monday sig confirmation, you will have to pick it up at the PO, or wait till saturday for it to be delivered.

My fear is that it will sit around the PO for days since I can't pick it up, and get lost.

Or they will put it on the truck for delivery day after day during the week since there is no one home to sign for it during the week, and it will get lost in all that on the truck off the truck shuffling each day.

My question is, why would the seller not send it delivery confirmation like I'm asking, and instead insist on sig confirmation?

It's a $260 dollar book, so not cheap, but not some massive sum of money either.

I don't sell on Ebay, only buy, but I do a TON of buying, and this is the first time I've run into something like this.

Any thoughts from people on this?

Recently had a signature package sit at the PO for a week before I picked it up.

Your fears are unfounded. Just pick up your book on Saturday. (shrug)

This is the kind of reassurance I'm looking for.

I have moderate to severe obsessive compulsive disorder, which as many of you already know, is characterized by irrational fears and worries, and in this case, my fear is that the post office will lose my book if I'm not there to sign for it on the first delivery attempt.

I will just hope for the best and wait to see what happens, my rational side believes that everything will be fine, but my OCD side is creating one mental worst case scenario after another in my brain.

Thanks for all the responses, I feel slightly more at ease now.

The postman will leave a notice on your door or in your mail box telling you that he attempted to deliver a package requiring a signature. You can sign the notice and put it back on your door or in your mailbox and he will leave the package at your residence during his next delivery attempt.

With the USPS I have filled out a signature waiver, which allows them to leave any sig required package in my mail box or on my doorstep. A copy of it is taped inside my mail box by my postman. I live in a safe area, and I have a large mailbox, and have never had a problem. Fed Ex will deliver a direct sig required if I print out the tracking info and sign it and leave it on my door. UPS will either sign for me, or bring it to my work, which is about 2 miles from home, but I know the guy.

The majority of USPS workers are honest and fulfill the obligations of their jobs. The outliers are often the ones we read about here. While there are drivers that sign for the packages themselves so they can just drop it off themselves, that rarely happens in comparison to the number of packages that utilize signature confirmation that we do not post nor read about.

I agree with a previous response that it is better off at the post office than your doorstep.

However, this should have been fully explained in the listing prior to purchase. If the seller wanted to use signature confirmation after the fact then they should have not charged you for it and eaten the $2 fee themselves.

It was apparently.

Yes it was in the listing to wait for her invoice and ignore the ebay one because she would be adding a charge for insurance and sig con.

I don't understand why you paid the separate invoice that contained a charge for sig confirmation and then talked to the seller about it. Seems like that should have happened before. And was it in the original listing that you had to pay for it?

Yes it was in the listing to wait for her invoice and ignore the ebay one because she would be adding a charge for insurance and sig con.

I paid for the counter offer she sent me right away thinking it was already included in it, it wasn't, that was why she sent the second invoice for $7.05

I went ahead and paid it.

After thinking about the hassle that sig con was going to cause me, I messaged her and asked could it just be delivery con, to which she said flat out no.

I didn't care about already being charged for sig con, whatever, she can keep the measly couple extra dollars.

The quote from me in the post above mine is out of context, here's the whole thing in case people didn't read it, and get confused from the out of context quote as to why I paid for the sig con in the first place.