• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay seller insisting on Sig confirmation, why???

109 posts in this topic

Even with Signature Confirmation, the delivery man can deliver to the wrong address and have any person sign for it and buyer still out of their book.

It happened to me. I sent a package to a member, the package was forwarded for some reason in error of USPS even though the member stated he didn't move. Package was delivered across town and was signed for by somebody that the package wasn't addressed to. Luckily I got it shipped back because requested the USPS pick it up because it was their error. End up costing me more as it was returned to me then I had to pay again to send it to the member.

There are many ways a seller can get burnt even if it's not their fault.

I agree with the seller. He's protecting himself and you.

From?

Have you read the thread?

Even been a victim of theft?

Ever have someone claim they didn't get the item?

Ever have someone claim the item was taken from their porch?

If not, doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others.

It's protection so it ensures the item gets into the hands of the party you send it to. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

From?

It's protection so it ensures the item gets into the hands of the party you send it to. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Not that it matters but yes to all your questions.

So better protection for the comic. The cut and dry part is not so cut and dry when it comes to business and the bottom line. (thumbs u

It's an extra unnecessary expense. The comic may be "safer" at the PO but the both parties are covered financially without it.

With the USPS I have filled out a signature waiver, which allows them to leave any sig required package in my mail box or on my doorstep. A copy of it is taped inside my mail box by my postman. I live in a safe area, and I have a large mailbox, and have never had a problem. Fed Ex will deliver a direct sig required if I print out the tracking info and sign it and leave it on my door. UPS will either sign for me, or bring it to my work, which is about 2 miles from home, but I know the guy.

Sorry, but this is bad advice. Assuming the seller has private insurance which requires anything over 200.00 to have a sig confirmation, and you have arranged to waive the signature with the USPS, you would be bypassing his insurance = the book is not insured. Interesting arrangement you have with FedEx, though I would assume it's not standard operating procedure. This may work with the private insurance because, at least, you do have a signature. Perhaps if you offered to pay the seller for USPS insurance he would ship it without the sig. However, as others have stated, dealing with insured items through the USPS is a challenge.

First of all, delivery confirmation benefits both the seller and buyer, so having those costs passed on to the buyer I can understand.

Signature confirmation? That completely benefits the seller, and if he/she wishes to add it, they should eat the cost. They shouldn't make it more inconvenient for you to get your book and have you pay for the privilege.

All that being said here's the simple solution. When the notice of a missed delivery is left on your door, you'll be able to sign that notice and leave a note that says "authorized to leave on door step, please". The postal worker will collect the note the next day and deliver your package the following day. At the latest.

In some cases your note will say that "redelivery will be attempted tomorrow" in which case you sign the notice and leave the attached note as I suggested.

If you're comfortable with that, it works fine.

From?

So better protection for the comic. The cut and dry part is not so cut and dry when it comes to business and the bottom line. (thumbs u

It's an extra unnecessary expense. The comic may be "safer" at the PO but the both parties are covered financially without it.

I think like one person said before....to have protection for your own insurance, they require signature confirmation. I use Collect Insure. If I send a book out to someone who bought it from me, then I use a sig confirmation so if it gets lost somehow, my insurance company will reimburse me for the book.

That's why I do it. But I wouldnt charge the buyer a separate insurance charge. Just sig confirmation.

Might be annoying to the seller and slight extra cost but it protects us.

From?

I think like one person said before....to have protection for your own insurance, they require signature confirmation. I use Collect Insure. If I send a book out to someone who bought it from me, then I use a sig confirmation so if it gets lost somehow, my insurance company will reimburse me for the book.

That's why I do it. But I wouldnt charge the buyer a separate insurance charge. Just sig confirmation.

Might be annoying to the seller and slight extra cost but it protects us.

As a stipulation of insurance. Makes sense. I assume the majority of people use USPS insurance and PayPal protection. In that scenario it doesn't add any level of protection.

When I ship something that is of a dollar amount that I start to get a little uneasy, I use it.

It's not about whether it's going to help me in the event of a claim. It's more of a preventative measure. I would much rather the package sits at the post office waiting for the buyer to pick it up, than it sit out on someone's doorstep.

Having said that, I make sure the buyer knows what their in for before they agree to a purchase.

It's so the seller has "Seller Protection" through eBay.

It's simple, why are so many people having trouble with this.

As a seller.

If the item is under $249.99 or less then you only need to send with delivery confirmation.

If the item is $250.00 and higher then it requires delivery confirmation and signature to be protected under eBay Seller Protection.

If you're not selling on eBay and still use PayPal then

$749.99 and less requires only delivery confirmation.

If it's $750.00 or more then you require delivery confirmation and signature to be

protected with PayPal Seller Protection.

When I ship something that is of a dollar amount that I start to get a little uneasy, I use it.

It's not about whether it's going to help me in the event of a claim. It's more of a preventative measure. I would much rather the package sits at the post office waiting for the buyer to pick it up, than it sit out on someone's doorstep.

Having said that, I make sure the buyer knows what their in for before they agree to a purchase.

This is an excellent point. Even if it does absolutely nothing from a claim perspective it may prevent a claim being needed in the first place.

This is an excellent point. Even if it does absolutely nothing from a claim perspective it may prevent a claim being needed in the first place.

Some will never be comfortable using the postal system.

It's so the seller has "Seller Protection" through eBay.

It's simple, why are so many people having trouble with this.

As a seller.

If the item is under $249.99 or less then you only need to send with delivery confirmation.

If the item is $250.00 and higher then it requires delivery confirmation and signature to be protected under eBay Seller Protection.

If you're not selling on eBay and still use PayPal then

$749.99 and less requires only delivery confirmation.

If it's $750.00 or more then you require delivery confirmation and signature to be

protected with PayPal Seller Protection.

Just use PayPal protection and you're covered under $750 regardless of the selling venue.

Every time I start to get comfortable with the idea of something I shipped sitting out on someone's porch for an extended period of time, Christmas rolls around and I'm bombarded with stories on the news about people just walking up and taking things that don't belong to them.

I blame my angst on the media.

I think taking precautions and not being comfortable are different.

The buyer knows their mail situation better than the seller. If a seller wants to take "precautions" then that is up to them. They make themselves less competitive as a seller. In today's seller's climate that may not mean much. That will not always be the case.

The buyer knows their mail situation better than the seller. If a seller wants to take "precautions" then that is up to them. They make themselves less competitive as a seller. In today's seller's climate that may not mean much. That will not always be the case.

I'm sure that depends on the price of the book. If we are talking at least a few hundred dollars on the low end its hard to imagine adding in the price of sig confirmation is going to make any difference. On a low dollar book, sure.