• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just a little ebay/paypal rant

51 posts in this topic

So I sell a Batman #232 CGC 8.5 to a guy in the UK. Use paypal shipping, so they have the customs number and form. The book is shipped in 2 days. When it gets there, the buyer is in the hospital, and can't pick up the book. After a couple of weeks, the book is sent back to customs. This guy opens a paypal complaint and even though I use paypal shipping and forwarded them the guys e-mail to me, stating that they did in fact try to deliver the book to him, and he was not able to pick it up, and today paypal rules against me. So I neither have the book or the money. :frustrated:

I blame it on the socialized medicine. In America he wouldn't have stayed in the hospital so long.

Sorry for your hassle, but it sounds like a scenario where you may eventually get the book back I hope? And by then it might be worth 2X what you sold it for!

Man, that sucks...I know stories like these are the minority, but they make me kinda glad I don't ship overseas. Not trying to say anything bad about customers in other countries, it has more to do with the way the system works and my fear of this kind of situation coming up.

Will Customs be returning the book to you? Hopefully you get the book back.

I can't imagine I will ever get it back. I will be thoroughly surprised if I do. Have heard nothing from them. The book was mailed in November.

Ugh, I was sure you would (it can take months at times) before this comment. You should be ranting, sorry this happened.

Another reason not to sell overseas on ebay. You can use the Global Shipping program but then the buyer gets screwed. I will sell overseas on the boards because this is a very small world that is well policed but not on the bay...

By the way, I wouldn't count on getting your book back. I recently had a problem with a book from a "no returns" seller who did a lousy job of describing a book. I contacted the seller and he stated again that "he did not take returns" so I filed on him. With a couple good photos and a good case, they returned my money and told me to keep the item. I didn't want it and would have been more than happy to return it but the guy was such a tool, I didn't feel so bad in the end.

I don't understand why an undelivered item would go back to Customs.

Customs had its way with it going into the UK, so why not "return to sender" if no one there accepts it? What's Customs got to do with it once it's cleared, but becomes un-deliverable?

Just curious why Customs is in the chain at all once they've ok'd it. Are they the official 'dead letter file' or something? What prevents the guy from going to Customs and claiming it (once he gets his money back)? ???

I have no idea how the customs system works. We don't have anything like that over here. Just repeating what he told me. This is the last thing I received from him, which was after he had filed the claim with paypal. He did not even contact me. I had to e-mail him about it.

i know none of is your fault but i was in the hospital by time came out they sent the item back before i could pay the charge i am sorry.

Have you emailed the buyer since this happened to let him know that because of how he handled it you are now out the money and the book?

I'd tell him to go down to customs and get your book back

Oh yes. I've e-mailed him several times. Very politely.

Another reason not to sell overseas on ebay. You can use the Global Shipping program but then the buyer gets screwed. I will sell overseas on the boards because this is a very small world that is well policed but not on the bay...

By the way, I wouldn't count on getting your book back. I recently had a problem with a book from a "no returns" seller who did a lousy job of describing a book. I contacted the seller and he stated again that "he did not take returns" so I filed on him. With a couple good photos and a good case, they returned my money and told me to keep the item. I didn't want it and would have been more than happy to return it but the guy was such a tool, I didn't feel so bad in the end.

You can opt out of eBay's Global Shipping Program.

There is absolutely no point to the GSP, it just makes international buyers have to pay about 200% of what you charge them for shipping, making them less likely to buy your book.

I sell to overseas buyers and so the buyers don't get screwed by eBay's GSP, I opted out as soon as I learned that ebay reams overseas buyers with excessive shipping surcharges.

Personally, I am glad that so many eBay sellers do NOT ship overseas.

That means the sellers that do, can get better prices....case in point:

Last 2 copies of NM 98 I had were both around VG/FN, raw.

I sold each book for $199.99 + 1st USPS class international airmail with e-con delivery confirmation......within less than a week of posting them via BIN.

Had a few US ebayers offer me $100-$150 or so on each listing, despite not having a BO option available.

Both of the buyers who bought and quickly paid for their books, lived in Belgium, and both paid the $199.99 + about $20-$25 for shipping for their raw mid grade copies.

Between this and the problems with signature confirmation, I think I'll just hand deliver all books I sell from now on. Shipping charges will just include gas used to drive to your home (airfare or boat ride substituted in case of foreign sales), food and hotel if it is farther than a 24 hour drive, and time lost at work for delivering it. On the plus side it will be personally handled by the seller the entire time!