• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHITE Pages....................................................A Poll

Do White pages affect your purchasing decisions ?  

876 members have voted

1. 1. Do White pages affect your purchasing decisions ?

416 posts in this topic

White pages could be cream to off white pages on any given day.

The chances of that happening are very rare.

True, but it could easily go to OW/W and "poof" goes the premium you paid for white pages.

The exact opposite is also possible, but ultimately people are trusting what is on the label.

Things to remember when deciding to pay a "premium" for a label that says "white pages":

1) CGC is notoriously random with their "PQ" designations - "white pages " today could be "off white" tomorrow and vice versa

2) It's "page quality" not "page colour". If someone remarks on how "white" pages "look" in a slab they are demonstrating a fundamental lack of understanding of how CGC assesses the "PQ" that they place on a label. "White pages" can be dirty and "brittle pages" can be bleached white, and none of it has anything to do with tanning

3) The "PQ" on the label is but a snap shot in time when the book is graded. Unless you know how the book was subsequently stored or cared for, or slabbed it yourself ,you don't even know what kind of "PQ" the book really has inside the slab by the time you purchase it

4) Slabs do not prevent deterioration of "PQ", even if stored in the most optimal of conditions and environments

5) Just because you decided to pay a "premium" for a book with "white pages " on the label doesn't mean the next person will as well should you decide to sell.

-J.

1. Page quality grading wobbles no more than numerical grading, and the latter has far, far more influence on sale prices.

2. I've never seen a white paged comic with 'dirty' pages, or a brittle paged comic with 'white' pages, and so I don't believe this to be true. My understanding of how CGC grades page quality is probably not complete, but good enough to have won the page quality portion of the grading contest that Matt Nelson ran at the Philly Comic Con some years ago.

3. Agreed, but the same holds true for the numerical grade. There are lots of comics that suffer from shaken comic syndrome and sport damage that occurred only after they were graded and slabbed.

4. Agreed, although the microchamber paper should help slow any deterioration post-slabbing. Buying white paged comics that were either graded recently or come from a collection well-established to sport consistent snow white page quality are work-arounds.

5. Since white paged comics overall command a small premium in the marketplace, they're likely to continue to do so when an owner decides to sell. That has most assuredly been my experience in selling my slabbed Marvel SA collection, in which white paged examples overall sold not only for more than neighboring examples with lower page quality designations, but they also sold faster overall.

Things to remember when deciding to pay a "premium" for a label that says "white pages":

1) CGC is notoriously random with their "PQ" designations - "white pages " today could be "off white" tomorrow and vice versa

That is not true. They are not 'notoriously random'. This is just your own inexperience talking. There is some grey area as there would be in anything, but you make it sound like a crapshoot. They are more consistent than they are not. Otherwise people wouldn't be paying them money to do what they do

2) It's "page quality" not "page colour". If someone remarks on how "white" pages "look" in a slab they are demonstrating a fundamental lack of understanding of how CGC assesses the "PQ" that they place on a label. "White pages" can be dirty and "brittle pages" can be bleached white, and none of it has anything to do with tanning

You're crossing over discussions again in an effort to obfuscate the point. We're assuming that white pages are better than brown pages. Not whether they were bleached or not.

3) The "PQ" on the label is but a snap shot in time when the book is graded. Unless you know how the book was subsequently stored or cared for, or slabbed it yourself ,you don't even know what kind of "PQ" the book really has inside the slab by the time you purchase it

4) Slabs do not prevent deterioration of "PQ", even if stored in the most optimal of conditions and environments

Most people don't buy slabbed books and then store them out on top of the roof of their house in a cardboard box. I would venture to say that most people who are taking the time to spend money on collectibles take care of them in a reasonable manner. We are talking about the majority - not everyone.

5) Just because you decided to pay a "premium" for a book with "white pages " on the label doesn't mean the next person will as well should you decide to sell.

Nobody is saying that. We're on a collecting site. This site has some of the most seasoned collectors in the world joining in discussion. Most people are saying that white pages are more desirable on the open market. I take this to mean that most seasoned collectors would prefer a book with better page quality over worse page quality, all other things being equal. And yes, many will bid more for a better page quality book.

And that goes for any page quality improvement from Light Tan to White.

Light Tan does not fetch as much as Cream. Cream does not fetch as much as Off White. Off White does not fetch as much as White...with shades of grey in between.

Obviously things like age, rarity and other quality factors can also affect the price.

True, but it could easily go to OW/W and "poof" goes the premium you paid for white pages.

The exact opposite is also possible, but ultimately people are trusting what is on the label.

Which is a major, major, major problem to the stability of the market, and ought to be far more aggressively addressed than it is.

We've reached lunacy when a single color breaking 1/8" spine tic can literally mean a $50,000 difference in "value."

Of course, the coin market's been doing this for 30 years now, so stuffing Pandora back into her box is probably impossible.

I believe that white pages and pages of color are exactly the same.

I disagree. I think blue paged books are inferior, and ought to be shunned.

:whistle:

I'm telling James Cameron on you. (tsk)

Now now, how would HulksMomma feel about a tattle-tale?

:taptaptap:

From my limited experience the prices achieved are virtually the same until you get to Off-White / Cream. Prices do seem to take a dip when Cream is shown as PQ.

I believe that white pages and pages of color are exactly the same.

I disagree. I think blue paged books are inferior, and ought to be shunned.

:whistle:

That may be true, but PINK paged books are pretty cool.

JOJO017_70_P1.jpg

True, but it could easily go to OW/W one numerical grading unit lower and "poof" goes the premium you paid for white pagesthe higher numerical grade.

The modified part, too.

And, since the premium for the example with the higher numerical grade is a lot more than 10-15% above when graded lower, the variability in numerical grading is far more significant than that of page quality grading. Sure, you can see the cover features that went into the numerical grading somewhat from a scan or photo, but there have been too many times to count when a comic in hand looks to have been overgraded or undergraded by a unit.

Finally, it's important to remember that there are comics with snow white pages. These would grade each and every time as w and not ow/w, no matter how many times resubmitted. My lament is that CGC didn't (and still doesn't) denote these exceptional like-new pages from other examples that, on a given day or with a tired pair of eyes, might drop to ow/w.

Still not satisfied by the occasional wobble in page quality grading? Then find collections that sport white pages universally. That way, the 'white' designation on the label of a particular example from the collection gives confidence that the page quality is indeed exceptional.

(thumbs u

Suckers