• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restoration Reversal?

28 posts in this topic

Personally, no, but I know quite a few books that have been successfully operated on. My friends Action 1 went from a 5.5 Purple to a 4.0 Blue.

What was the restoration that had been done, and who was the miracle worker on that case?

Personally, no, but I know quite a few books that have been successfully operated on. My friends Action 1 went from a 5.5 Purple to a 4.0 Blue.

Do you know what restoration was removed? I am curious if amateur or professional restoration makes a difference in the ability for a professional to remove it.

I would think that cover bleaching, cleaning, re-glossing or trimming would be impossible to remove.

Do you know what restoration was removed? I am curious if amateur or professional restoration makes a difference in the ability for a professional to remove it.

I would think that cover bleaching, cleaning, re-glossing or trimming would be impossible to remove.

Your best shot is with ct that hasn't bled through (if it's bled through, you can probably forget about it) or stuff that was done professionally, such as reversible tear seals or a professionally reattached cover.

And, yes, none of the stuff you list is reversible.

What was the restoration that had been done, and who was the miracle worker on that case?

I believe it was mostly glue removal. I have no idea who removed it. The book ended up at Metropolis but I don't know if they did the work or if it was even their book. Might have been a consignment. It was the early days when CGC was still in Jersey.

A GA collection walked into my friends shop ( Best Comics) and he took a few over for walk thru grading.

I believe it was mostly glue removal. I have no idea who removed it. The book ended up at Metropolis but I don't know if they did the work or if it was even their book. Might have been a consignment. It was the early days when CGC was still in Jersey.

A GA collection walked into my friends shop ( Best Comics) and he took a few over for walk thru grading.

Tommy at Best Comics is great! A few nice collections have walked through his door! (thumbs u

I had Matt Nelson work on 2 different AF15s of mine.

The first was a 7.0 with slight CT. He removed the slight CT which turned out to be just one spot (thank God) and it came back as a 7.0 Blue label WOO HOO!!!!!!! No down grade.

The second was a 5.0 with "very slight" CT. This time the "very slight CT" turned out to be a lot of CT all over the cover (not just the spine", so when the CT removal was done it looked horrible in my opinion. It came back as a 3.0 Blue label. I hated the look of the comic so much that I traded it for an Xmen 1 7.0 blue label plus some cash. I got the worst of that trade since AF15 sky rocketed in price after I made the trade. My x-men 7.0 has virtually stayed the same value.

What I leaned from these two comics... "Small amount of CT" can sometimes mean 1 dot. However, when it says "very small amount", it may be way more than you think. When I bought the 2nd comic I made an assumption that it would be 1 dot.... boy was I wrong.

I also learned to never trade away an AF15.

Anyone have any luck trying restoration reversal from a professional and get upgraded to a blue label (but maybe downgraded in grade) ??

To answer your question i had a Hlk #181 CGC9.4 with slight colour touch sent to Matt. With the colour touch removed it came back a 9.0.

I sent an Avengers 1, purple label 5.0, with glue on the spine to Matt Nelson. The glue was removed, had it pressed, and it came back a blue label 5.5.

Assuming the glue was applied to fix a flaw, it is puzzling to think the book went up in grade. I once had a similar situation, also an Avengers 1 with glue, also worked on by Matt. In my case the glue was holding a chip in place that came off with removal. The book was pressed but went down from a 7.5 to a 7.0 . It goes to show that all situations are different.

I sent an Avengers 1, purple label 5.0, with glue on the spine to Matt Nelson. The glue was removed, had it pressed, and it came back a blue label 5.5.

Assuming the glue was applied to fix a flaw, it is puzzling to think the book went up in grade. I once had a similar situation, also an Avengers 1 with glue, also worked on by Matt. In my case the glue was holding a chip in place that came off with removal. The book was pressed but went down from a 7.5 to a 7.0 . It goes to show that all situations are different.

Good point. I suspect glue used to hold a spine split together would have an even more devastating effect when removed. Something to definitely consider...

Leaving aside a certain randomness in grading, maybe the book was really in need of a press and the pressing raised the grade more than the spine split lowered it? hm

I had Matt Nelson work on 2 different AF15s of mine.

The first was a 7.0 with slight CT. He removed the slight CT which turned out to be just one spot (thank God) and it came back as a 7.0 Blue label WOO HOO!!!!!!! No down grade.

The second was a 5.0 with "very slight" CT. This time the "very slight CT" turned out to be a lot of CT all over the cover (not just the spine", so when the CT removal was done it looked horrible in my opinion. It came back as a 3.0 Blue label. I hated the look of the comic so much that I traded it for an Xmen 1 7.0 blue label plus some cash. I got the worst of that trade since AF15 sky rocketed in price after I made the trade. My x-men 7.0 has virtually stayed the same value.

What I leaned from these two comics... "Small amount of CT" can sometimes mean 1 dot. However, when it says "very small amount", it may be way more than you think. When I bought the 2nd comic I made an assumption that it would be 1 dot.... boy was I wrong.

I also learned to never trade away an AF15.

:shy: don't talk about my baby being ugly. Nicest 3.0 I've got