• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All Time Favorite Comic Story

70 posts in this topic

Rocketeer

Hitman

Just a Pilgrim

Sin City

Badger (First Comics)

Jon Sable 1-56

Swamp Thing 20-87

Swamp Thing Annual 2 deserves it's own line

Batman: Year One & Son of the Demon

Fables

Hellblazer

Sandman

Mister X

Grendel: War Child

Aliens from Dark Horse (the first 3 series are absolutely great)

X-Men Inferno

Not necessarily in that order, just some of the stories I remember being very anticipatory about for the entire run.

Too many fantastic stories to list! I will go with a few groups what I think is most affected on me. This is just my personal opinion in what I had read when I was a boy to teen years. As DC/Superman was a favourite of mine...

1) "Superman's Return to Krypton" Superman # 143. I happen to find this story in one of DC digests. With Wayne Boring's art gave a charm of science-fiction and a kind of "what-if" story theme.

2) Watchmen #1-12 storyline, this series was when I brought straight from LCS for a year. It was great to read that one.

Tied also for The Dark Knight Returns #1-4, as above

My personal favourite one issue stories:

Action Comics #507 "The Miraculous Return of Jonathan Kent"

Superman #400 - two stories in this book were fantastic.

Action #554 "If Superman Didn't Exist?"

And Superman Annual #11

MARVEL:

Daredevil - "Born Again"

X-Men #129-137 - "The Dark Phoenix Saga"

Marvels # 1-4

Personal favourite:

Fantastic Four #11 and 15. One issue had taught me a valuable lesson. ;-)

Too many more so that's enough.

Archie stories:

The funny thing about the stories are that they both are based in supernatural theme. By all rights it should be about comedy, but for weird reason, the two stories sticked in my mind.

The early Life with Archie stories are among my favourites, especially issue #11. Issue #125 was of a different beast, this one did give me the shivers up my back as I read the story "Nightmare Nursey" about the evil teddy bear. Wow. I did not expect Archie to put out this one in print.

Another one by Archie was "The Last Christmas" in Archie Giant series #218. A bittersweet story.

Independent comic stories:

Elfquest Quest saga ( a fantastic story epic!)

Maus, A Survivor's Tale (not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but I knew one survivor personally years ago).

"Judgement Day" in EC Science Fantasy series. A very beautiful story with a unquie view of human beings. That made me think. Many of these EC stories also impacted me.

And last one for manga .... Still ongoing as I am reading. One Piece!

I think I mentioned Hitman before, but wanted to highlight Hitman #34. Growing up DC was decisively not the hot company, Marvel was king and even VALIANT and IMAGE seemed to have more chatter around them until Death of Superman/Knightfall/Emerald Dawn, and Superman was very much a symbol of what was not cool, so much like with the later All Star series, this issues with Superman being in a totaly mdoern writer, Garth Ennis, book, it's one of the few examples that I've said, "oh yeah, this deserved the Eisner"

Stealing from Harvey's set up:

Single Issue:

Avengers #4 - as a kid and still as an adult this was one freakin cool book

Story Arc:

The Galactus Trilogy. FF 48-50

Mini Series:

DKR

Monthly:

Walking Dead

Sandman

Invincible

Crossover Event:

FF 25 and 26 FF, Hulk and Avengers. Nuff Said!

In order of appearance;

Flash 123

Fantastic Four 4

Avengers 4

I suppose the connection is obvious but as a youngster in the late 50's/early 60's these three books had an immediate impact when first viewed on the shelves. The revival of Famous Comic Heroes from the past was thrilling... :cloud9: