• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max Landis' BRIGHT on Netflix
1 1

61 posts in this topic

I watched it.

If there is something that distracts from the average person watching this without any preconceived notions, it is David Ayer doing yet another LA gang-influenced movie. And that would be a shame, as there is enough here to make it something more.

The movie feels like a mix of Alien Nation (definitely influenced this heavily), Training Day and End of Watch mixed with multiple fantasy movies. But with that Alien Nation feel, this can help you see the better parts of the movie where humans are dealing with a world containing elves, fairies and orcs. So all the fables and mythology turns out to be true. Man had just turned its back on the stories to forget about these creatures.

There is so much action going on, at times the scenes can feel a little challenging to follow completely. But still, a decent story if you like works like this where humans have to live alongside such differing creatures. And again, like Alien Nation, the Orcs assume roles they lean towards like being police officers, government service workers or even gang members. So the theme has been done before.

Overall, 6.0/10.0 for me. Entertaining for one viewing. But not something I would rush out to purchase for multiple viewings.

SCREENRANT: Netflix’s Bright is Seriously Underrated

Netflix’s new urban fantasy movie Bright, starring Will Smith and Joel Edgerton, has been savaged by critics and described as the “worst movie of 2017,” but Netflix viewers who give it a chance might find themselves pleasantly surprised.

Smith and Edgerton play cop partners Daryl Ward and Nick Jakoby, respectively. Jakoby, as the first orc officer to join the LAPD, is an outcast and derided as a “diversity hire” (if you’ve seen Zootopia, you know the drill). Ward was recently shot in the chest by an orc while on duty, and the movie begins with the two officers being uncomfortably reunited following Ward’s convalescence. He doesn’t have much time to ease back into things, however, as Ward and Jakoby soon find themselves embroiled in a deadly game of capture the flag, after finding a catastrophically powerful magic wand that has dirty cops, the FBI, multiple gang leaders and a band of elven terrorists chasing after it.

Like Ayer’s previous film, Suicide Squad, Bright suffers from occasional dodgy dialogue, a forgettable villain, and end-of-the-world stakes that feel kind of forced. But it’s by no means the worst movie of 2017, and while the reception has been mixed on both sides of the critic/general audience divide, some people are finding a lot to love about it.

7 hours ago, Rip said:

Very underrated. A few minor faults but much better than expected. I can't wait to see another.

Agreed!

There is potential here for the sequel to be even better. This felt like it was meant to have some adventures while building the foundation.

I had written the movie off based on reviews, but then saw a lot of positive reviews from audience on rt.

It won't win any awards, but it was a fun movie.

I feel like reviewers were pushing for the social allegory way too hard.

Sometimes an orc is just an orc. I thought they looked more like juggalos than African American.

On 12/22/2017 at 2:38 PM, Bosco685 said:

I watched it.

If there is something that distracts from the average person watching this without any preconceived notions, it is David Ayer doing yet another LA gang-influenced movie. And that would be a shame, as there is enough here to make it something more.

The movie feels like a mix of Alien Nation (definitely influenced this heavily), Training Day and End of Watch mixed with multiple fantasy movies. But with that Alien Nation feel, this can help you see the better parts of the movie where humans are dealing with a world containing elves, fairies and orcs. So all the fables and mythology turns out to be true. Man had just turned its back on the stories to forget about these creatures.

There is so much action going on, at times the scenes can feel a little challenging to follow completely. But still, a decent story if you like works like this where humans have to live alongside such differing creatures. And again, like Alien Nation, the Orcs assume roles they lean towards like being police officers, government service workers or even gang members. So the theme has been done before.

Overall, 6.0/10.0 for me. Entertaining for one viewing. But not something I would rush out to purchase for multiple viewings.

the average person has no idea who david ayer is.

I saw it, Pretty good. Definitely needed more backstory. Also the whole "poison gang" scenes read as goofy and forced. Honestly this might do better as a netflix show. Ill Gladly watch a sequel but Id focus more on the backstory. This Landis creep sounds like a real horrible human, cut ties with him on the sequel.

Edited by zhamlau