• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bag and Board recommendations

38 posts in this topic

I am looking for good bags and boards for my BA collection and was hoping to get some recommendations from any of you. I find some of them fit in Current size bags but many are slightly to wide. Silver seems to large. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

It depends on what type of bags/boards you are using.

If you are using poly bags they should have a Standard size which is a 1/4" larger than modern, but slightly smaller than Silver. This should fit all your BA books as well as Modern books.

If you are using Mylite2's ot Mylite's there is also a Standard size for the same purpose as above.

If you are using Mylars you might have to use Silver Age mylar to fit the BA books. Mylar tend to pinch the sides. So having the books fit without being too tight is crucial.

Poly bags are extremely inexpensive for storage, however they do degrade books over time.

A bag of 100 typically runs about $5-7, with boards running about the same.

If can finance it I would highly recommend Mylite2s and Fullbacks. They run a little higher. About $20 per 100 of each. However you will never need to change out your bags/boards. The are alao much more sturdy than poly bags/boards.

However, I would suggest going through ComicSupply when he has his shipping discounts. That's what will jack the cost most times is shipping, because the supplies are heavy.

I buy silver for all my books because it's just easier. While modern does fit recent modern comics nicely, I usually regret the decision because that's all it's good for.. Sometimes modern is too small for some post-1975 books. i don't usually see "standard" or it's the same thing as modern.

i figure silver will fit some of the post-1975 larger books very nicely. for example, many of those dollar DCs from the late 70s/early 80s will not fit in a modern. they fit snugly in a silver.

also, with a silver bag and silver board, i know the comic is going to be entirely on top of the board. sometimes with the modern bag/board some comics slightly overhang on the sides.

I also recommend Mylite2s and fullbacks. You can get them from eGerber.com, Comic Supply (which is who I think 'lok was referring to, not Comiclink), or your local LCS. I'd recommend your local comic book store, if you have a good relationship with them. I get all of my supplies from my friend, who has a diamond account, and because of our relationship, he doesn't really mark up the supplies.

I also recommend Mylite2s and fullbacks. You can get them from eGerber.com, Comic Supply (which is who I think 'lok was referring to, not Comiclink), or your local LCS. I'd recommend your local comic book store, if you have a good relationship with them. I get all of my supplies from my friend, who has a diamond account, and because of our relationship, he doesn't really mark up the supplies.

I would recommend a LCS also, but I have yet to find one that regularly stocks Mylite2s and Fullbacks. They do have poly bags and boards in abundance if that's what you need.

I buy silver for all my books because it's just easier. While modern does fit recent modern comics nicely, I usually regret the decision because that's all it's good for.. Sometimes modern is too small for some post-1975 books. i don't usually see "standard" or it's the same thing as modern.

i figure silver will fit some of the post-1975 larger books very nicely. for example, many of those dollar DCs from the late 70s/early 80s will not fit in a modern. they fit snugly in a silver.

also, with a silver bag and silver board, i know the comic is going to be entirely on top of the board. sometimes with the modern bag/board some comics slightly overhang on the sides.

Silver has too much room for BA books, unless they are squarebound books.

Standard size is not the same as Modern size, blob. Never ever get Modern size, they are just worthless.

I'd suggest comicsupplys bags and boards too, the polys, they fit real well together. I've found that my stores bags and boards just don't marry to each other as well as I'd like.

I also recommend Mylite2s and fullbacks.

Absolutely, maybe not the cheapest way to go, but they sure do look damn pretty in them cloud9.gif

I would recommend a LCS also, but I have yet to find one that regularly stocks Mylite2s and Fullbacks. They do have poly bags and boards in abundance if that's what you need.

What I meant was that if you have a good relationship with the LCS, then you can place your gerber order through them (just be sure to buy in packs of 50). He doesn't maintain an inventory of supplies, when I need some, I just order them through him. Because of his diamond account, he gets a discount and usually I can also save on shipping.

What I meant was that if you have a good relationship with the LCS, then you can place your gerber order through them (just be sure to buy in packs of 50). He doesn't maintain an inventory of supplies, when I need some, I just order them through him. Because of his diamond account, he gets a discount and usually I can also save on shipping.

That's what I do. I order 200-400 sets at a time from my LCS. It usually takes about a month to a month and a half for them to arrive. You are correct, no shipping costs this way.

maybe other stores carry different brands but my experience with the "fits 1975 to present" bags, which i suppose is standard?, is that it often does not fit some of these books.

i find that silver bag and a silver board, when they fit nice and snug, keeps a BA book in there pretty snug. the problem arises when you use a silver bag on a BA book and the board isn't a tight fit in the bag. this happens when you mix and match between companies.

i have been slowly but surely myliting my better stuff.

Okay blob, I have to get technical with you since you still haven't grasped the concept.

Poly bags:

Current: 67/8" x 101/2"

Regular/Standard: 71/8" x 101/2"

Silver: 73/8" x 101/2"

Mylite2s:

Current: 7" x 103/4"

Regular/Standard: 71/4" x 103/4"

Silver: 73/4" x 103/4"

My biggest problem with using Silver bags/boards is that they do not fit into comic boxes.

Comicsupply carries the larger acid free gerber boxes. Fit the Silver Mylite2s beautifully.
Are they magazine boxes or comic boxes? I have magazine boxes that I use for my Silver and Gold Mylar comics.

my silver age bags/boards fit just fine into all my comic boxes, regular size boxes, long boxes, etc. maybe you're just buying crappy boxes?

and yes, i know the difference between poly and mylite. i have about 9,900 books in poly, 50 in slabs and 100-150 in mylite. the silver/gold mylite bags that I use may be too big for a regular size comic box. i keep those in a magazine size box.

sizes vary from company to company as well because another shop i go to has slightly different size bags from a different company.

i don't want to get technical with you or anything, but the bag of silver age bags (from "BCW") i have right in front of me is marked as 7 1/8" X 10 1/2"

maybe where you're from they use a different kind of ruler than here?

so, apparently, your "standard" is larger than this co's "silver age"

see, you don't know everything, do you?

now go clean your room.

my silver age bags/boards fit just fine into all my comic boxes, regular size boxes, long boxes, etc. maybe you're just buying crappy boxes?

and yes, i know the difference between poly and mylite. i have about 9,900 books in poly, 50 in slabs and 100-150 in mylite. the silver/gold mylite bags that I use may be too big for a regular size comic box. i keep those in a magazine size box.

sizes vary from company to company as well because another shop i go to has slightly different size bags from a different company.

i don't want to get technical with you or anything, but the bag of silver age bags (from "BCW") i have right in front of me is marked as 7 1/8" X 10 1/2"

maybe where you're from they use a different kind of ruler than here?

so, apparently, your "standard" is larger than this co's "silver age"

see, you don't know everything, do you?

now go clean your room.

I knew you would respond that way. The sizes I qouted were from ComicSupply's website. They are not my sizes. 27_laughing.gif