• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bag and Board recommendations

38 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I need to ask you guys a question. I went to the Ask CGC forum to ask them this question but they never posted it. I am quite curious as to why.

My question pertained to where CGC gets those "deacidification papers" that they put in each slabbed book. I told them I wanted to buy some to put in my raw books that are mylared. I want this (deacidification paper) for for my raw books that I will never get graded.

Why hasn't anyone started selling this? It's great for comic preservation. Does anyone have them?

Maybe someone can tell me where I can get them?

Thanks.

John

just getting ready to start switching everything that will never leave my collection into mylites and fullbacks, anyone know if they will fit well into the average comic box? all my polybagged comics fit in there fine, but don't really know just how much bigger the mylars are.

just getting ready to start switching everything that will never leave my collection into mylites and fullbacks, anyone know if they will fit well into the average comic box? all my polybagged comics fit in there fine, but don't really know just how much bigger the mylars are.

For silver/gold sized mylites and mylars you're going to need magazine sized boxes. While you're putting everything in mylar, you may as well buy acid-free boxes too. Russell at comicsupply.com has the E. Gerber brand kind at a good price.

For silver/gold sized mylites and mylars you're going to need magazine sized boxes.

Scott, I just got a bunch of silver/gold Gerber mylite 2/fullback. They fit perfectly in the Gerber silver/gold boxes. My regular GA Mylars or my pre-code horror collection don't fit but the sa/ga fit fine.

will do, going to need to make any bagging decisions after monday as alot of my money is tied up into a few auctions, and if i win all those it will have to wait, but thanks for the tips every one

Store your comics in plastic rubber maid totes instead. Sure they take up more space but they are waterproof and are stackable. I like them because I can cgc ones in them as well. They are more expense 3.50-5.00 per tote but they are nice. Howmany collections get ruined from water damage. Totes are waterproof.

Deathlok:

Thanks for bringing sizes up in this discussion.

I've accomplished quite a few things in my 30 years in the comics biz. One of the innovations I'm most proud of is standardizing the sizes of comics bags and boards.

Modern bags 6 7/8" wide - board is 6 5/8"

Regular/Silver bags 7 1/8" wide - board is 7"

Golden bags 7 3/4" wide - board is 7 5/8"

Magazine bags 8 3/4" wide - board is 8 /12"

From 1980 through 1996 I sold over 800 million ComiCovers brand bags and over 50 million ComiCard boards. Prior to 1980 you wouldn't believe the [#@$%!!!] we had to put up with. Bags were all over the map and so were boards. It was so frustrating that one day I said, "[#@$%!!!], I can do this better." So I printed the sizes on the outer wrapper and color-coded the packaging of the products so that a customer could tell immediately which bag went with which board. Pretty simple stuff, but innovative for our hobby nearly 25 years ago.

My favorite bag in the world is still a polyethylene ComiCover. Polypropylene looks good but gets too wrinkled and wavy. Plus tape doesn't come off easily if you tape flaps with PP. PE never loses it's shape and being 50% thicker did a better job or protection.

And I've never come across an example of a comic book stored in either PE or PP was damaged in any way because of the bag.

--Gary

I've found that the standard-sized mylite 2 w/ a fullback fits late silver-age DCs (late 60's and very early 70's) quite nicely and snugly. Anybody else found this to be the case?

I've yet to buy the silver-sized mylites, as I haven't gotten around to ordering those silver-sized boxes. But I may give that a try soon.