• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is the definitive Iron Man artist?

91 posts in this topic

I've heard Kubert didn't do much of his work in the 70s and up. That his students did most of it and he simply put the finishing touches on it.

Any truth to it?

I went to the Kubert School in the mid 80's....... the school didn't exist yet in the 70's...... I don't recall anyone ghosting for Joe, though some of the instructors would occasionally employ a student as an assistant.... though usually for lettering, background inks, etc. The School was very good at helping worthy talent get interviews. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... my favorite Iron Man artist may have been Bob Layton, but I honestly feel the "ultimate" Iron Man artist has yet to be.....

The schools website says it was started in 1976. The person who told me this attended the school for one semester in 78 or 79 and has nothing nice to say about either the school or its founder. He thought it was a complete ripoff, which it obviously isn't as it has turned out a number of pros. Could just be a bitter ex-student. I know he was really looking forward to attending it and I'm not sure he even finished his only semester.

.... I guess I may have been wrong about the start...... maybe he had a small group at that point. By the time I arrived it was in an actual School building and probably had a dozen instructors. I was very happy with what I learned there.... still apply a lot of it today. Joe was very approachable and his wife was a gem. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I can't find an instance of Tom Palmer inking Tuska or Heck....Hmmm... if he's in Baltimore again this fall I'm going to ask him about that....

Here's Palmer inking Heck (interiors).

I can't recall Palmer inking Tuska (mebbe a short story somewhere?).

portrait_incredible.jpg

I forgot about that one. Together they produce a result that looks very Adams-like.

Good stuff, actually.

Yeah, I believe they purposely aped Adams, for continuity, on this story .

I love Johnny Craig and George Tuska, two EC greats. :cloud9:

Craig was a good writer, too.

As was said, their work for Marvel was a bit constrained by drawing in the Marvel (Kirby) manner but they still managed to produce some great work, IMO.

Tuska :

23413.jpg

Craig:

866881.jpg

Love those early covers. :cloud9:

For some reason, the cover to #14 always reminded me of Star Trek - when Ruk knocks Kirk over a cliff in the cave, and then pulls him back. The lighting, the shadows, the cliff edge, the stalactites...

Great thread by the way. :)

ViDMV5c.jpg

What's that in Kirk's hand?

Yup. The image is dominated by a highly-suggestive purple rock formation. I forget how he incapacitates Lurch with it.

I dont know, or really care, who did it but Iron Man 2 is my least favorite cover of Marvels Silver Age. Its really the reason why while I collect TOS, I never cared about getting the early Iron Mans. My IM run starts at 50 and runs thru 200, although I may cull it back to 150.

I dont know, or really care, who did it but Iron Man 2 is my least favorite cover of Marvels Silver Age. Its really the reason why while I collect TOS, I never cared about getting the early Iron Mans. My IM run starts at 50 and runs thru 200, although I may cull it back to 150.

Iron Man 2 would be Craig.

The first name that comes to mind is Bob Layton, so I'll go with that.

Colan for the SA.

[font:Book Antiqua]I agree Bob Layton it's the name I will associate with Iron Man...[/font]

:applause:

Yup.

Iron Man 2 would be Craig.

He did a couple of issues... his last few of years at Marvel aren't remembered very fondly....a shame for such a classic great artist. Guess it goes with the territory on early Iron Man.... quality Golden Age artist - not so great on Iron Man....

Though those covers shown, I think look great....

I can't find an instance of Tom Palmer inking Tuska or Heck....Hmmm... if he's in Baltimore again this fall I'm going to ask him about that....

Here's Palmer inking Heck (interiors).

I can't recall Palmer inking Tuska (mebbe a short story somewhere?).

portrait_incredible.jpg

I forgot about that one. Together they produce a result that looks very Adams-like.

Good stuff, actually.

I'm going to have to check that out... very curious to see!

Has to be one of the few instances....