• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is the definitive Iron Man artist?

91 posts in this topic

It's simple Bob Layton is the definitive IM artist.

+1

For SA, I'd have to go with Jack Kirby (sorry Don Heck). Kirby designed the original Model 1 armor (ToS 39) and the Model 2 Armor (ToS 48) that defined Iron Man's basic look ever afterward.

What you refer to as Model 2 is actually his third suit of armor and was designed by Steve Ditko, not Kirby. In between the original in TOS 39 and TOS 48 was the golden armor, which was Kirby.

No love for Don Heck!

I prefer Don Heck’s version of the SA Iron Man to Gene Colan’s, which always looked ugly and clunky to me. Heck did some very nice work on Tales of Suspense, especially noticeable when you see it in black-and-white.

It's simple Bob Layton is the definitive IM artist.

+1

For SA, I'd have to go with Jack Kirby (sorry Don Heck). Kirby designed the original Model 1 armor (ToS 39) and the Model 2 Armor (ToS 48) that defined Iron Man's basic look ever afterward.

What you refer to as Model 2 is actually his third suit of armor and was designed by Steve Ditko, not Kirby. In between the original in TOS 39 and TOS 48 was the golden armor, which was Kirby.

Ack, you're correct re: the Model 2 being designed by Ditko. Kirby just drew the cover (as with most of the ToS run). I'm aware that the Model 2 was the third suit (or possibly the fourth, depending on how many marks you assign to the Model 1). The golden armor is the Model 1 Mark 2 (or 3, depending on your take on the improvements).

For the last few months, I've been building reading runs of several Marvel titles. One thing that has kept me from assembling a run of the earlier IM issues is George Tuska. Just can't stand to look at those issues.

For the last few months, I've been building reading runs of several Marvel titles. One thing that has kept me from assembling a run of the earlier IM issues is George Tuska. Just can't stand to look at those issues.

That's why I don't collect Avengers. Heck and Tuska. :sick:

I don't believe Colan's style is right for superhero comics. His style works much better on horror and mystery type comics. His work on Dracula is phenomenal, especially in black and white. I was blown away when I bought the first Dracula Essentials book.