• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wish Me Luck...

29 posts in this topic

I'm leaving tomorrow for a small town in Ohio to look at (I hope) a fabulous collection. Books I know are there include a 1939 NY World's Fair, and some Caps, MM's, Supes and Batmans.

10 long boxes of Golden Age

15 magazine boxes of Golden Age

15 magazine boxes of pulps and Arkham House books.

It's amazing how I have this opportunity. I received a call from a woman who was looking for a speaker from our company for a career day at a local junior high school. As the marketing director I was her contact. After making the arrangements, she asks me if I'm the "same Gary Colabuono who owned the Moondog's shops." After admitting I was, she said her father passed away a few years ago and that she and her siblings had decided it was time to sell his books.

It turns out that her dad was a customer of mine and had some invoices in with his personal effects. She said he always liked me and that I was fair. They had been searching for me for the past few months and since my stores had closed over 10 years ago, and I no longer advertise in Overstreet, that they had almost given up.

How the heck do things like this happen? I don't know, but I'm not complaining.

My fingers and toes are crossed. I'll let you know how it goes when I return.

Just got back.

It was good but not great.

Batman 24 to 80

Detective 90-160

were the most solid runs.

It turns out the guy was really into SF and Horror pulps and comics so I have over a long box of pre-code Horror. Grades are mostly VGish though. Nothing really sharp.

Coolest thing were 4 mads 19-23 still in their original mailing envelopes. Absolutely white pages and very glossy. These are not folded - they were mailed flat. I'd say 9.4 and 9.6's...

I'll report more after I catch up on my sleep and spend Easter Sunday with the family...

Thanks for the nice wishes!

Just got back.It was good but not great.Batman 24 to 80Detective 90-160
Wow, that is a group of books that to most of us would be a dream come true. I guess you must have been buying TONS of collections for many years to consider that haul just " good".

Congratulations on the pick-up. I'd really love to hear more about it when you have the time.

Just got back.It was good but not great.Batman 24 to 80Detective 90-160
Wow, that is a group of books that to most of us would be a dream come true. I guess you must have been buying TONS of collections for many years to consider that haul just " good".

Congratulations on the pick-up. I'd really love to hear more about it when you have the time.

Well, if it were me, I'd be all 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifacclaim.gifyay.gif....but that's just me,..... confused-smiley-013.gif

Everyone:

Please don't get me wrong. This was a wonderful deal, but the guy led me to believe there was A LOT MORE! That's the only disappointment.

My friend, Larry Charet, is selling all the SF pulps and digests. Look for them on eBay.

Joe Sarno (long time sf, comics, and premium dealer/collector) stopped by tonight and informed me that I had one of only 150 copies of The Immortal Storm, a self-published history of science fiction fandom that was printed in 1951. That's cool. It was stuck in a pile of old sf fanzines from the 30's through the 50's.

There's a hard cover original of Who Goes There, the story that The Thing is based on. That's cool.

There's a mint copy of A Hornbook for Witches, the rarest Arkham House book. And it is mint. That's cool.

There's a beautiful copy of Dark Carnival by Ray Bradbury. That's cool.

There's a Buck Rogers Green Scarab Ring in Mint condition. That's cool.

There was a Frank Kelly Freas original 2-page interior illustration from Planet Stories. That's cool.

There was a Buck Rogers satellite ring in NM. That's cool.

Over 200 pre-code horror in VG to VF. That's cool.

And a LOT more. That's why I had to rent a van to bring it all back. But the guy led me to believe that there was A LOT MORE!

You ought to see the fanzines. Unbelieveable. Mimeographed zines from fans who love sf, fantasy and horror...nothing about comics...

Anyway, please don't misconstrue my disappointment. It's only based on the AMOUNT of stuff.

--Gary