• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4.4.16?

130 posts in this topic

I'm not a fan of slabbing and al my collection is raw yet this reminds me of the way action figures have been done in the past. You buy the latest Spider-man figure and then keep it carded and lo and behold a Spider-man with added features comes out and it is the same figure only he has a water pistol added, where does it end? I do see a time when nearly every comicbook will be slabbed just to get sold, as one of the members mentioned just for its grade or it go the other way and raws might be the next big thing. l Oh the joys of collecting.

Oh and the reason they picked 4/4/16 (IMO) is because they are being very international as the date can be read in the UK or US and cannot be confused!!!

I thought it was because 4 x 4 = 16 :o

I'm not a fan of slabbing and al my collection is raw yet this reminds me of the way action figures have been done in the past. You buy the latest Spider-man figure and then keep it carded and lo and behold a Spider-man with added features comes out and it is the same figure only he has a water pistol added, where does it end? I do see a time when nearly every comicbook will be slabbed just to get sold, as one of the members mentioned just for its grade or it go the other way and raws might be the next big thing. l Oh the joys of collecting.

You can be a raw collector and still buy certified books.

I've been cracking out books for my personal collection for years.

Hoping that the new case will showcase colors better than they do now. Currently, they seem to mute some books colors. That's one of the features where the Voldemort case is actually superior to the CGC case.

I agree.

Has impregnating the holder or inner well with some form of UV blocking chemical been talked about yet? That could benifit clarity or color too possibly? (I recall reading they did a lot of work originally designing the holder and well so they could let the gasses breathe/seep through)

I wonder if their professional suggestion of 7 years will increase, with the advent of these new holders or different micro chamber paper type or process?

Hoping that the new case will showcase colors better than they do now. Currently, they seem to mute some books colors. That's one of the features where the Voldemort case is actually superior to the CGC case.

I agree.

Has impregnating the holder or inner well with some form of UV blocking chemical been talked about yet? That could benifit clarity or color too possibly?

I wonder if their professional suggestion of 7 years will increase, with the advent of these new holders or different micro chamber paper type or process?

The word "chemical" is always scary when talking about a material encasing a book. :eek: But maybe after an extensive moulding process, the material would become chemically inert enough to safely make contact with the book.

That being said, I can't imagine they'd extend the recommended reslab period because of the added revenue they must receive from those worried about expiring microchamber, etc. :(

Gotcha. Sounds like you know a lot more than me about that stuff (thumbs u

As for extending the 7 year period, I don't think the number is that high with people reholdering every 7 years. I don't think CGC has a vast revenue stream coming from reholdering due to the 7 year changeout. (I don't think enough: know, care, have the funds or know how to look up an encapsulation date)

As for reholdering for cracked and chipped slabs, I imagine there should be enough of a flow that, they see it in their books.

But obviously I could be totally wrong.....

I'm going off how many I've had to send in through the years :cry:

Gotcha. Sounds like you know a lot more than me about that stuff (thumbs u

As for extending the 7 year period, I don't think the number is that high with people reholdering every 7 years. I don't think CGC has a vast revenue stream coming from reholdering due to the 7 year changeout. (I don't think enough: know, care, have the funds or know how to look up an encapsulation date)

As for reholdering for cracked and chipped slabs, I imagine there should be enough of a flow that, they see it in their books.

But obviously I could be totally wrong.....

I'm going off how many I've had to send in through the years :cry:

I agree. I'm fairly fussy about keeping my books fresh, but I don't believe microchamber paper loses it's effectiveness that quickly in a normal environment. I recall reading that it had only been tested for a seven year life but that it might last much longer. The only book I've had re-slabbed was one that was in a PGX holder; I wasn't sure whether their undersized microchamber paper would protect the outer edges of the book as well as the full-sized CGC sheets, so I bit the bullet and sent the book in to CGC. (Even for that one I waited until the slab was nine years old.)

You give me too much credit - I only know what I can hypothesize and what I've overheard others saying :grin:

I also have never reslabbed a book, for any reason. I did overhear that micro chamber paper is much more likely to last 50 years than 7.