• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4.4.16?

130 posts in this topic

ok, have been given the green light (again) by the powers at cgc...

this past January, Richard (Bedrock City) and I got to see, hold and inspect cgc's NEW holder...

all I can say is I LOVE it...and I'm guessing you will too...

Going to guess: Grader's notes on label

No chance in hell. You wanna see CGC get slapped with a retaliatory trademark infringement from Voldemort after the * fiasco?

Huh?

When he who shall not be named introduced his company he announced that exceptional copies would be indicated with an *. CGC sent a cease and desist letter to the Dark Lord, as they use an * for their coins for exceptional examples. Voldy puts grader notes on their slabs, I would not be shocked that if CGC were to do the same, he would use the dark mark to summon his death eaters (aka lawyers) to send a similar letter back to CGC in retaliation for their letter.

The following should not be construed as legal advice.

Big difference between the asterisk and graders notes.

The asterisk is a symbol that was providing a secondary meaning. Asterisk, in and of itself, does not mean "exceptional." They were using the asterisk to mean something that it did not naturally mean.

Putting graders notes on the back is just putting information on the back. Can't prevent that kind of use.

:gossip:

Trade dress

A label has 2 sides and is the only place on the holder where writing can be placed. Can't forestall someone from putting writing on 1 of the 2 places where it can go. :sumo:

No chance in hell. You wanna see CGC get slapped with a retaliatory trademark infringement from Voldemort after the * fiasco?

Huh?

When he who shall not be named introduced his company he announced that exceptional copies would be indicated with an *. CGC sent a cease and desist letter to the Dark Lord, as they use an * for their coins for exceptional examples. Voldy puts grader notes on their slabs, I would not be shocked that if CGC were to do the same, he would use the dark mark to summon his death eaters (aka lawyers) to send a similar letter back to CGC in retaliation for their letter.

The asterisk is a symbol that was providing a secondary meaning. Asterisk, in and of itself, does not mean "exceptional." They were using the asterisk to mean something that it did not naturally mean.

Putting graders notes on the back is just putting information on the back. Can't prevent that kind of use.

Trade dress

A label has 2 sides and is the only place on the holder where writing can be placed. Can't forestall someone from putting writing on 1 of the 2 places where it can go. :sumo:

Inherently Distinctive Product Packaging under the Walmart test :shrug:

Does anyone think there will be a higher demand for the new case compared to the current one? Kind of like how people seek out the 90's case for the speculative higher grade except in this case people would seek out an improved case with a more descriptive label.

Does anyone think there will be a higher demand for the new case compared to the current one? Kind of like how people seek out the 90's case for the speculative higher grade except in this case people would seek out an improved case with a more descriptive label.

the new case is very impressive...I will tell you that...

Huh?

Trade dress

Ah, but you forget the issue of functionality. The label is the most functional way to convey information about the book. Grader's Notes are information.

Do you think that everyone with pending submissions that haven't been holdered yet will receive the new case? Im in the verification process and I definitely want to get on board if the case is as impressive as you say!
no idea...I got to see it in January, but have no knowledge or specifics on roll out, cgc's transition, etc...

Do you think that everyone with pending submissions that haven't been holdered yet will receive the new case? Im in the verification process and I definitely want to get on board if the case is as impressive as you say!
no idea...I got to see it in January, but have no knowledge or specifics on roll out, cgc's transition, etc...

Notice any differences with the inner wells?

Huh?

Trade dress

Ah, but you forget the issue of functionality. The label is the most functional way to convey information about the book. Grader's Notes are information.

I can argue out the functionality on two issues, 1) the fact that functionality is not needed for product packaging and 2) CGC lost functionality by not using it (using the internet instead), and only adopting it 2 years after it was introduced by CBCS. Thus the attempt was emulation and not functionality.