• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade - JIM #83

50 posts in this topic

here's the second of three walk-thru submissions that were graded this week. this will be a toughie because of the unusual defect noted in the graders notes. (think namisgr's recent Hulk #6 with the two torn interior pages).

graders notes;

1. thin 4 inch corner crease ULC BC

2. light stains left edge BC

3. 2 inch piece missing from last page.

that's it - the corner crease is so light that i never knew it was there in all these years. you won't be able to see it in the scan. i never open a book before submitting, so have no idea about the shape of the missing interior piece other than gemma said it's in the margin.

1110344371376_1111211915501_JIM_89_004.jpg

1110507346559_JIM_89_005.jpg

That book gives me wood, BB.

If that was mine, I'd have a hard-on a cat couldn't scratch. yay.gif

7.5 this time. Missing piece be damned.

I see the crease. It runs through the "BO" at the top of the back cover.

I'd love to own a book from the Burntboy Pedigree. Do you have any left? headbang.gif

Gorgeous book, Harry, and you are right that the back cover crease cannot be seen from the scan, except through the red lettering. I'd probably subtract one grading unit for the missing page piece, but the crease that cannot be seen is a harder defect to judge.

I'll take a stab at it with: 6.5???

That book gives me wood, BB.

If that was mine, I'd have a hard-on a cat couldn't scratch. yay.gif

7.5 this time. Missing piece be damned.

I see the crease. It runs through the "BO" at the top of the back cover.

I'd love to own a book from the Burntboy Pedigree. Do you have any left? headbang.gif

yup - that's the crease - very faint - great catch............ thumbsup2.gif.

i've still got virtually all of my original 1000 books left. i've only sold 18 books, so far. Big DC sale coming up this summer, though. grin.gif

Harry.. I assume the last page piece that is missing does not affect the story? And is an add.. or editorial page?

Sadly.. I cannot go look at my copy.. since I do not own one.. sorry.gif

Ze-

Harry.. I assume the last page piece that is missing does not affect the story? And is an add.. or editorial page?

Sadly.. I cannot go look at my copy.. since I do not own one.. sorry.gif

Ze-

actually, i'm not sure but suspect it's actually the end of the last story. further suspect that since the word "margin" is used, it doesn't impact on the story.

heck, i'll never get to actually see what it looks like........... blush.gif

this one is getting an interesting spread of guesses, as i suspected......... devil.gif

Another great book. VF 8.0 without the staining and the missing piece would be my guess. With the two defects, another 6.0 sorry.gif

I am guessing a missing piece is more important than namisgr's 1" tear?

Very tough books to grade. Both this and the FF1 will make lucky collectors happy.

Dan

2 inch piece missing from last page.

further suspect that since the word "margin" is used, it doesn't impact on the story.

Please elaborate... exactly how the notes are worded regarding the missing last page?

I imagine that will greatly affect how the grade was determined.

And did you say you bought this one off the rack too?.. what did you cut out on the margin?

2 inch piece missing from last page.

further suspect that since the word "margin" is used, it doesn't impact on the story.

Please elaborate... exactly how the notes are worded regarding the missing last page?

I imagine that will greatly affect how the grade was determined.

Gemma said; "2 inch piece out of margin of last page"............ sumo.gif

I'll guess 6.0. But it has the eye appeal of an 8.5.

Another question is, "2 inch piece out of last page" going to be a note on the label?

If so, it's market value will probably drop some as if it didn't say that, someone would probably jump at the book thinking RESUBMIT.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Another question is, "2 inch piece out of last page" going to be a note on the label?

If so, it's market value will probably drop some as if it didn't say that, someone would probably jump at the book thinking RESUBMIT.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

good question - i have no idea..............i thought that they had gone the way of removing those type of notes and it was up to the buyer/seller to check out the graders notes.

that brings up an interesting dilemma. many folks when selling do not offer refunds on CGC books to avoid any number of potential hassles. this could be a prime example of many folks wanting to purchase the book based on what it looks like and then being disappointed upon receiving and asking for graders notes as a possible prelude for a resubmittal. if the seller didn't disclose and accepted refunds, he could get caught up in a long term series of returns.

i would guess that disclosing the defect and not accepting refunds would be acceptable , as well........... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

or going the whole nine yards and disclosing the defect AND accepting refunds, but that almost takes you back to square one.........

Well would your missing chunk of margin really be as bad to a potential buyer..as lets say a Hulk 181 missing a Marvel stamp?

I can see if a person did not know the stamp was cut out.. until AFTER they bought it. They might feel misled.

But your book was downgraded accordingly .. it is missing a chunk.. but the book is still intact as far as all the interior goes.

Not as big a deal to me personally.

I think it is a GREAT way for someone to get a 8.5 ish book for way less then a 8.5 price. So if you do sell, I would set your price accordingly... HIGH.. VERY HIGH

Do they make mention if a stamp is missing from a 181 on the label?

Ze-

I brought up that point before.

If you accept refunds on CGC books, what to stop people from buy the book, and only keep it if they feel it has a chance of being upgraded.

And think of it this way, you have a 9.4, but it looks borderine (maybe should be a 9.2).

Now you are selling it and the person returns it. Sell again and get another return. You're frustrated so what are you suppose to do? Say in the auction that the book really is only a 9.2 but the label 9.4.

Just a no win situation.

Regarding the label notes, usually interior defects (or even in some cases Marvel Chipping) is still on the labels.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

good question - i have no idea..............i thought that they had gone the way of removing those type of notes and it was up to the buyer/seller to check out the graders notes.

that brings up an interesting dilemma. many folks when selling do not offer refunds on CGC books to avoid any number of potential hassles. this could be a prime example of many folks wanting to purchase the book based on what it looks like and then being disappointed upon receiving and asking for graders notes as a possible prelude for a resubmittal. if the seller didn't disclose and accepted refunds, he could get caught up in a long term series of returns.

i would guess that disclosing the defect and not accepting refunds would be acceptable , as well........... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

or going the whole nine yards and disclosing the defect AND accepting refunds, but that almost takes you back to square one.........

Well, you could give the book to me to save you all of that hassle!

Nice book, BTW!

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I think this book should get a qualified label: Qualified 8.0, since the eye appeal is much higher than the grade.

But, it doesn't sound like it got the qualified label, so I think the grade was really low (sorry Harry). Because a 2 inch piece missing is a really big defect...5.0 Blue label.