• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade - JIM #83

50 posts in this topic

I think this book should get a qualified label: Qualified 8.0, since the eye appeal is much higher than the grade.

But, it doesn't sound like it got the qualified label, so I think the grade was really low (sorry Harry). Because a 2 inch piece missing is a really big defect...5.0 Blue label.

Totally agree with the Qualified label, the book looks fantastic. Those corners are like razors. So I'm going with 6.0.

How many of your 1000 have been graded, Burnt? I always love seeing another lunchonette book posted! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Oh...And I believe you said "three walk-thrus"; what was the third? And when are you posting it?

(think namisgr's recent Hulk #6 with the two torn interior pages)

graders notes;

1. thin 4 inch corner crease ULC BC

2. light stains left edge BC

3. 2 inch piece missing from last page . . . in the margin

OK, on technicals:

A 4" crease is significant, "moderate" at best, bordering on major; (4.0)

Stains are light, most likely fingerprinting on edge, and not transfer stains; (7.0)

A 2" piece missing is huge, bordering on the incomplete notation; (2.0) Green Label "incomplete"

I believe the "incomplete" notation is generally used for intentional missing pieces (e.g. Marvel Value Stamps, coupons clipped). A Green Label is also generally reserved for single defects which qualify the "otherwise" grade - here you have two significant defects, so I don't think it applies. The overriding positives are striking, and it would be a disservice to grade this book outside the FN range, so my first thought would be a 5.0.

Looking at the book again though, I will downplay the 4" crease on the BC due to it's lightness, qualify it for the interior piece missing, and give it the highest FN range grade:

7.0 Qualified Green Label "2" piece missing from margin last page" sumo.gif

2 inch piece out of margin of last page

This doesn't really tell much of the size of the missing piece???

It's 2 inches by X-inches? It could be just a sliver out of the margin?

Anyway... my guess is 6.5 blue label

sign-rantpost.gif And why... oh why did they remove those notations from labels....I'd really like to know about missing pieces and tears on interior pages.

Take a look at this for example...notations removed for no apparent reason

LINK1 Same book reholdered without notes frustrated.gif

2 inch piece out of margin of last page

This doesn't really tell much of the size of the missing piece???

It's 2 inches by X-inches? It could be just a sliver out of the margin?

Anyway... my guess is 6.5 blue label

sign-rantpost.gif And why... oh why did they remove those notations from labels....I'd really like to know about missing pieces and tears on interior pages.

Take a look at this for example...notations removed for no apparent reason

LINK1 Same book reholdered without notes frustrated.gif

let me say that i think that book is BEAUTIFUL. (it's 63 years old fer chrissake).

having said that, how is it possible for a book to have minor color flakes on the spine and lower edge, less than razor sharp corners and 2 pages with 1 inch tears and get a 9.6?????? that would suggest to me that the two 1 inch tears didn't cause a reduction?!?!? insane.gif893whatthe.gif

The only thing I could think about with the two 1" tears is if CGC determined (how I don't know), that it was caused during printing.

There are clearly books that have "cuts" in the paper, and that's how they were manufactured.

well, the guesses on this one went from a low of 5.0 to a high of 7.5 and there were a few green label (7.0-7.5) guesses thrown in, as well.

Average of the non-green guesses was 6.0 and the book rec'd a 6.5 blue label with OW/W pgs. Congrats to Namisgr and Arty for nailing it........ acclaim.gif

guess i REALLY can't grade mid-grade as i didn't think a two inch missing piece in the margin of an interior page would be all that much worse than two 1inch interior page tears. (see my comments on Arty's posted book which had that kind of defect and still got a 9.6)?!?!

ok last book (DD#1) up next.............

(it's 63 years old fer chrissake).

893whatthe.gif

That's the most insane copy of this book I've ever seen. It came out a full 20 years before all of the reset of the JIM 83s did -- and it's not even an ashcan. You're sitting on a real gold mine there my friend. poke2.gif

(it's 63 years old fer chrissake).

893whatthe.gif

That's the most insane copy of this book I've ever seen. It came out a full 20 years before all of the reset of the JIM 83s did -- and it's not even an ashcan. You're sitting on a real gold mine there my friend. poke2.gif

Stronguy; i was referring to Arty's beautiful scan of the Feature Comics # 60 that got the 9.6 with 2 One inch interior tears................... grin.gif

and the book rec'd a 6.5 blue label with OW/W pgs. Congrats to Namisgr and Arty for nailing it....

In case people missed it. thumbsup2.gif

I was off by one... boo.gif

and the book rec'd a 6.5 blue label with OW/W pgs. Congrats to Namisgr and Arty for nailing it....

In case people missed it. thumbsup2.gif

I was off by one... boo.gif

one what? dimension? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gifpoke2.gif

Regarding the label notes, usually interior defects (or even in some cases Marvel Chipping) is still on the labels.

Steve you are absolutely correct. just picked up the books at the post office and right under the name,number and date it says;

"large piece out margin last page".

i guess this would help to some extent in selling the book as you could tout it as 'looks like a 7.5 to 8.0 EXCEPT for the interior page defect" - "best 6.5 in existence"!!!!! acclaim.gif yada, yada, yada.................