• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any fans of 'Back Issue' mag in here?

43 posts in this topic

I like most of the stuff TwoMorrows puts out. Back Issue, Alter Ego and Jack Kirby Collector are all favorites of mine.

Good publications indeed.

I still miss the old Comic Book Marketplace though

I like most of the stuff TwoMorrows puts out. Back Issue, Alter Ego and Jack Kirby Collector are all favorites of mine.

I know what you mean. For me, the TwoMorrows mags are the closest thing to Comics Buyer's Guide in existence right now. I really miss getting CBG in my mailbox on a weekly basis.

I know what you mean. For me, the TwoMorrows mags are the closest thing to Comics Buyer's Guide in existence right now. I really miss getting CBG in my mailbox on a weekly basis.

:sorry:

Overstreet should definitely bring back a monthly mag...

I'm not sure...since I'm still looking for it. I believe it was focused on DC tabloids or the Legion or both, since it had a cover that was an homage to one of the Legion tabloids that I had (have!) Still looking for one...!

Back Issue #61 is indeed an homage to treasury editions. Not sure if this is why you can't find it, but #61 was actually printed in a tabloid format to mimic the treasuries that are being covered in that issue, so it's physically larger than all the other issues around it.

And it was more expensive, too. so probably less copies were ordered/purchased.

I'm not sure...since I'm still looking for it. I believe it was focused on DC tabloids or the Legion or both, since it had a cover that was an homage to one of the Legion tabloids that I had (have!) Still looking for one...!

Back Issue #61 is indeed an homage to treasury editions. Not sure if this is why you can't find it, but #61 was actually printed in a tabloid format to mimic the treasuries that are being covered in that issue, so it's physically larger than all the other issues around it.

And it was more expensive, too. so probably less copies were ordered/purchased.

Ah, well, those reasons would explain it. Thanks for the info...the hunt goes on!

I like most of the stuff TwoMorrows puts out. Back Issue, Alter Ego and Jack Kirby Collector are all favorites of mine. I really dig the American Comic-Book Chronicles series of hardcovers. They have volumes covering 1950 through 1989.

I was thinking about posting and asking if anyone had read these and if they were pretty good.

I like most of the stuff TwoMorrows puts out. Back Issue, Alter Ego and Jack Kirby Collector are all favorites of mine. I really dig the American Comic-Book Chronicles series of hardcovers. They have volumes covering 1950 through 1989.

I was thinking about posting and asking if anyone had read these and if they were pretty good.

Yes, I have read them all, and they are very good reading, and very well done. Absolutely worth the money.

So I finally got to read Back Issue 89 while on vacation. I have to say, this was another great issue, although the subject matter may not be everyone's cup of tea.

This time, the focus was on Bronze Age adaptations, and included articles on The Shadow (at DC), Korak, Son of Tarzan (also at DC), Battlestar Galactica (the original 70s TV show Marvel adaptaion), the Black Hole, 2001, World's Unknown, and Marvel's many movie adaptations.

There was also a short article on the various novels both Marvel and DC were putting out during the 70s and early 80s as prose introductions to their characters. Now I have to track down Ron Goulart's Challengers of the Unknown book!

The article on the Shadow kicks things off with a look at his various comic book stories, beginning with the BA O'Neil/Kaluta/Robbins version straight through the controversial Chaykin 80s revamp and ending with the later 90s DC and Dark Horse books. I'm interested now in picking up DC's the Shadow Strikes, which seems to be a favorite amongst Shadow fans.

The other article I really enjoyed (heck, every article was good), was a comprehensive, chronological look at Marvel's movie adaptations. Star Wars and Star Trek are mentioned, as well as the illusive Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (which I believe a few boardies around here are lucky enough to own).

I remember picking up the magazine-sized Raiders of the Lost Ark at Waldenbooks when it hit the shelves in 1981, but how could I have missed Rock & Rule, Krull or House II: The Second Story? Xanadu, however, I believe I can skip, although Olivia Newton-John was a childhood crush. :luhv:

A solid A for this one, fans of Back Issue or the subject matter should pick it up, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Very good issue, I think my favorite so far this year!

Agreed. I thought the one featuring Marvel's Giant-Size and Fireside books was good too, for what it's worth.

What issue # was that? I wouldn't mind having a gander at it.