• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any fans of 'Back Issue' mag in here?

43 posts in this topic

Just curious if there are any fans of Back Issue on the Bronze-Age forums, since that's what it mostly covers...mostly. If you are a subscriber, how long and was was your favorite issue so far this year?

I have been a subscriber for over a year for the last few years on and off. I think their latest Batman/Superman coverage was well timed last issue. But I think my favorite so far is the issue on Supergirl.

Back Issue is great!

I have a lot of the issues, but I do skip the ones featuring subjects I have no interest in.

Favorites -- 6 (Tomb of Dracula), 11 (Conan), 13 (BA romance), 16 (Cartoon crossovers),26 (Master of Kung Fu), 31 (Steve Gerber tribute), 36 (BA monsters), 37 (BA DC war), 42 (Jonah Hex and BA westerns), 49 (BA overview), 52 (BA horror), 59 (more cartoon crossovers), 72 (BA robots), 76 (Micronauts) and 86 (Marvel Giant-Size overview).

I'm looking forward to 88 (BA Marvel magazines) and 89 (BA adaptations of other media properties, i.e. the Shadow, Korak, 2001 A Space Odyssey,etc.).

:headbang:

I enjoy reading Back Issue magazine. Instead of subscribing, I buy a year at a time usually when they have a sale on in November or so and then binge read. Favorites recently included the Legion Issue #68, Metal Men #72 and Micronauts #76. Paul~

I like most of the stuff TwoMorrows puts out. Back Issue, Alter Ego and Jack Kirby Collector are all favorites of mine. I also really dig the American Comic-Book Chronicles series of hardcovers. They have volumes covering 1950 through 1989.

Back Issue is great!

I have a lot of the issues, but I do skip the ones featuring subjects I have no interest in.

Favorites -- 6 (Tomb of Dracula), 11 (Conan), 13 (BA romance), 16 (Cartoon crossovers),26 (Master of Kung Fu), 31 (Steve Gerber tribute), 36 (BA monsters), 37 (BA DC war), 42 (Jonah Hex and BA westerns), 49 (BA overview), 52 (BA horror), 59 (more cartoon crossovers), 72 (BA robots), 76 (Micronauts) and 86 (Marvel Giant-Size overview).

I'm looking forward to 88 (BA Marvel magazines) and 89 (BA adaptations of other media properties, i.e. the Shadow, Korak, 2001 A Space Odyssey,etc.).

:headbang:

I especially liked the "what if" covers for giant sized Marvel #1s in 86 (Marvel Giant-Size overview)

I enjoy reading Back Issue magazine. Instead of subscribing, I buy a year at a time usually when they have a sale on in November or so and then binge read. Favorites recently included the Legion Issue #68, Metal Men #72 and Micronauts #76. Paul~

I used to do this too until LCS stopped carrying it. I never see it at B&N, so I subscribed. I think there's only been 1 or 2 issues I wouldn't have bought if I had a choice, but probably more that I would have missed and wanted :)

I like most of the stuff TwoMorrows puts out. Back Issue, Alter Ego and Jack Kirby Collector are all favorites of mine. I also really dig the American Comic-Book Chronicles series of hardcovers. They have volumes covering 1950 through 1989.

Is Alter Ego also a monthly? That covers the Gold and Silver ages, right?

Is Alter Ego also a monthly? That covers the Gold and Silver ages, right?

Alter Ego has a similar schedule to Back Issue. It's not quite monthly, but almost. I think it comes out like 9 or 10 times per year. And yes, it covers mostly Gold and Silver.

The Jack Kirby Collector comes out sort-of quarterly, with 3 or 4 issues per year. Different topics per issue, but they range anywhere from early in Jack's career all the way to the modern era and how his work influences creators today.

Love back issue, with its wide variety of topics, artists, and interviewers.

Used to like Alter Ego, but its become very repetitive over the past half dozen years. Roy (Thomas), if you're reading this, there's only so many JSA articles one can stomach. ugh.

I occasionally pre-order issues of Back Issue if there's something featured that interests me. Comic shop owner loves it when I do because it means he gets to read it before selling it to me.

:whatev:

Be interested to know what the readership numbers are. Seems like there'd be limited interest. I'm really glad there's publications like this being printed.

I am a long time BI reader. I used to get every issue, but I wound up with a thick stack of unread magazines, so now I just order the issues where the main theme interests me. I am currently reading the Iron Man Bob Layton issue. What was in #61 jtlarsen?

I'm not sure...since I'm still looking for it. I believe it was focused on DC tabloids or the Legion or both, since it had a cover that was an homage to one of the Legion tabloids that I had (have!) Still looking for one...!

I'm not sure...since I'm still looking for it. I believe it was focused on DC tabloids or the Legion or both, since it had a cover that was an homage to one of the Legion tabloids that I had (have!) Still looking for one...!

Back Issue #61 is indeed an homage to treasury editions. Not sure if this is why you can't find it, but #61 was actually printed in a tabloid format to mimic the treasuries that are being covered in that issue, so it's physically larger than all the other issues around it.