• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATMAN VS SUPERMAN MOVIE A DOG

765 posts in this topic

"The reason bad movies get made and remade is because sheep keep flocking to 'em and getting sheared."

well, my take on why bad movies get made boils down to he simple fact that making a GREAT movie is extremely hard to do. Even little indie films take hundreds of people. These studio monsters involve 1000s of artists and craftsmen on many continents.. And a lot of decision makers, talented people as well as egocentric geniuses who get their way (because their last pic was a hit, and worried execs with opinions and final sayso etc etc affecting the final product. And ALL films mutate at each step in the process: a perfect -script can be undone by casting and performances. A mediocre -script can be miraculous by same, plus chemistry on set, or setback that turn out to be lucky breaks (Jaws shark was bad so they used it as little as they could, affecting the suspense)

its just a miracle when it all comes together. And it doesn't happen often, even on the high minded Artsy films where they've got the best people collaborating... but 9 times out of 10 it wasn't for lack of effort.

but to your point about "sheep" ? people just want to pay their ten bucks and be entertained... and get out of the house too!

My point about the sheep being sheered was a little harsh. There's usually a dog leading them so it's not their fault. ;)

You're absolutely right that folks just like to get out of the house and be entertained. My wife and I have enjoyed a number of excellent movies this year, but we occasionally feel like apologizing to one another for suggesting a bad one.

And I agree completely about the number of dedicated folks required to make a movie. I was involved in small independently funded film not long ago and the number of support people not to mention the talent, lighting crew, set managers, wardrobe, make-up, production assistants, director, assistant director, line producer, catering, etc., is staggering, ...and all necessary.

I gotta say I was not very impressed with the movie.

The good...

1) There are some killer visuals.

2) I liked Affleck as Batman very much.

3) The way the film ties into the end of Man of Steel was great.

4) And above all, Wonder Woman! Perfect.

The problem was that the bad so out-weighed the good for me.

The bad...

I don't know how to do one of those Spoiler Alerts, so SPOILER ALERT!

1) There were plot holes that were just too ridiculous to over come, at least for me.

2) "Martha". All of the animosity between Batman and Superman was resolved simply because their mothers share the same first name?!?!

3) How can Superman hear Lois when she's underwater, when she's on the other side of the world, etc. etc. etc., but he can't hear his mother when she's a couple of blocks away?

4) Luther is scared of Superman's uncontrollable power, so he creates something more powerful and less controllable?

5) It was pretty impressive how quickly the Metropolis legal system worked. The day after the climactic battle scene the paper had news of not only the outcome but also Lex's conviction and imprisonment.

A pretty fair review! (thumbs u

I noticed you had no problems with Batman and Wonder Woman as well.

So it does look like the Superman part of this movie was the part most critics were confused and didn`t like much.

So the Superman mythos is causing this ruckus.

If they did a solo Batman Ben Affleck movie next time it will beat Batman v. Superman box office by a mile! :o

If I am DC I might just concentrate on Batman movies if these other DC superhero movie under-perform at the box office.

Plus I doubt Superman will be getting a solo movie anytime soon now. :(

Thoughts?

Breaking news batman v superman beaten at box office by Melissa 's the boss.. Boxioffice down drastically by 54%. According to the lying Warner bros... Prediction it's low... 57% sounds more like it. Is only 23 million... Next week it's 7....if they are lucky... Word of. Mouth has given this turkey what it deserves... Not a penny from another sucker....Boxioffice poison . I should be right on the money on my final Boxoffice prediction.

Edited by Mmehdy

The good...

The bad...

1) There were plot holes that were just too ridiculous to over come, at least for me.

2) "Martha". All of the animosity between Batman and Superman was resolved simply because their mothers share the same first name?!?!

3) How can Superman hear Lois when she's underwater, when she's on the other side of the world, etc. etc. etc., but he can't hear his mother when she's a couple of blocks away?

4) Luther is scared of Superman's uncontrollable power, so he creates something more powerful and less controllable?

5) It was pretty impressive how quickly the Metropolis legal system worked. The day after the climactic battle scene the paper had news of not only the outcome but also Lex's conviction and imprisonment.

So it does look like the Superman part of this movie was the part most critics were confused and didn`t like much.

If they did a solo Batman Ben Affleck movie next time it will beat Batman v. Superman box office by a mile! :o

If I am DC I might just concentrate on Batman movies if these other DC superhero movie under-perform at the box office.

Thoughts?

Thanks WB for destroying the greatest character you ever created by boxing him in a zack the hack Snyder dc universal world...

If anyone's interested, I've linked another discussion forum below. The thread has a variety of pro/con opinions expressed about Superman vs Batman and superhero movies in general. A number of movie industry folks contribute views on this forum, so the discussions are often lively with interesting observations. Heck, the GA Marvel Mystery comic in this thread oughta be worth a look... searching-019.gif

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice.356063/page-33

We were debating the aerodynamic capabilities of the wings on Subbies feet. Don't ask! lol

DavidMerryweather please put away the

:headbang:

I'm restricted to ale, but dark ale in honor of this thread! ...Gator has monopolized all the Coke Zero east of the Rockies. (:

BTW, there's a kewl HT cover posted one page earlier... :insane:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice.356063/page-32

I take Sub in speedo all day looooooooonng

"The reason bad movies get made and remade is because sheep keep flocking to 'em and getting sheared."

well, my take on why bad movies get made boils down to he simple fact that making a GREAT movie is extremely hard to do. Even little indie films take hundreds of people. These studio monsters involve 1000s of artists and craftsmen on many continents.. And a lot of decision makers, talented people as well as egocentric geniuses who get their way (because their last pic was a hit, and worried execs with opinions and final sayso etc etc affecting the final product. And ALL films mutate at each step in the process: a perfect -script can be undone by casting and performances. A mediocre -script can be miraculous by same, plus chemistry on set, or setback that turn out to be lucky breaks (Jaws shark was bad so they used it as little as they could, affecting the suspense)

its just a miracle when it all comes together. And it doesn't happen often, even on the high minded Artsy films where they've got the best people collaborating... but 9 times out of 10 it wasn't for lack of effort.

but to your point about "sheep" ? people just want to pay their ten bucks and be entertained... and get out of the house too!

:popcorn:^^

The good...

The bad...

Thoughts?

I am NO expert and did not stay at Motel 6.

I love superman/batman. They just got to violent with Sup and his fights just kill to many people. I did see Superman Quest for peace other day and it would never make the cut today but the story lines way more like the siegel and shuster the way us old people love him.

Edited by woowoo

Breaking news batman v superman beaten at box office by Melissa 's the boss.. Boxioffice down drastically by 54%. According to the lying Warner bros... Prediction it's low... 57% sounds more like it. Is only 23 million... Next week it's 7....if they are lucky... Word of. Mouth has given this turkey what it deserves... Not a penny from another sucker....Boxioffice poison . I should be right on the money on my final Boxoffice prediction.

WOW you are hard as s :censored: They should have used you as Lex Luthor All the boardes would pay and it would smash box office records. lol

WOW you are hard as s :censored: They should have used you as Lex Luthor All the boardes would pay and it would smash box office records. lol

Spoiler:

"In Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, the titular Man of Tomorrow has a vision of his Earth father while hiking and clearing his mind after the senate explosion. In the "ethereal" moment, Kevin Costner’s Pa Kent relays a story to his son from his youth, telling him about the time when he saved the farm from floodwaters, but later discovered that the diverted water still wound up causing death and destruction. The discussion eventually convinces Superman to return from his isolation to Metropolis/Gotham."

Naw, Zack shoulda cast Mitch as Pa Kent in the Dawn of Justice cameo and circumvented the big payday for Costner. For a few bucks and a screen cred Mitch might've straightened out young Clark via flashback, reminding him of his legacy as a hero before all the darkness and angst set in. Who other than Mitch could inform the disillusioned Clark that Action #1 is worth a fortune today because of two Jewish boys with a dream. Flood, schmud, ...Mitch woulda popped the disillusioned boy on the back of the head like Gibbs from NCIS and told him to MANNUP! After all, with a simple rewrite Supe could've parted the water like Moses instead of diverting the river and saved the farm and the great unwashed from drowning at the same time. Badda-Bing, badda-bang, badda-boom! No angst, no regrets, and the redacted 11th commandment revealed: Thou shalt not bore your audience.

Now THAT is the story that would've smashed box office records! (thumbs u

Spoiler:

"In Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, the titular Man of Tomorrow has a vision of his Earth father while hiking and clearing his mind after the senate explosion. In the "ethereal" moment, Kevin Costners Pa Kent relays a story to his son from his youth, telling him about the time when he saved the farm from floodwaters, but later discovered that the diverted water still wound up causing death and destruction. The discussion eventually convinces Superman to return from his isolation to Metropolis/Gotham."

Naw, Zack shoulda cast Mitch as Pa Kent in the Dawn of Justice cameo and circumvented the big payday for Costner. For a few bucks and a screen cred Mitch might've straightened out young Clark via flashback, reminding him of his legacy as a hero before all the darkness and angst set in. Who other than Mitch could inform the disillusioned Clark that Action #1 is worth a fortune today because of two Jewish boys with a dream. Flood, schmud, ...Mitch woulda popped the disillusioned boy on the back of the head like Gibbs from NCIS and told him to MANNUP! After all, with a simple rewrite Supe could've parted the water like Moses instead of diverting the river and saved the farm and the great unwashed from drowning at the same time. Badda-Bing, badda-bang, badda-boom! No angst, no regrets, and the redacted 11th commandment revealed: Thou shalt not bore your audience.

Now THAT is the story that would've smashed box office records! (thumbs u

For you my man anytime :headbang:

<a  href=wychwood-hobgoblin-dark-english-ale_zpso

The good...

The bad...

first I basically agree they should have ended the fight some other way. I did however want to share that I think it comes off as ridiculous as it did because the director failed to properly convey that bats is :insane: about mommy and especially about dads failed attempt to save "martha". I think thats the reason there are the origin flaskbacks it shows Bats is still traumatized by this moment. So the idea is in the moment of truth the mentioning of her name and saving martha broke his rage enough to think about the sitaution- bad idea but I think - this is what they were going for.

I thought this too- this will end up on movie sins for sure

I think Luthor is just plain evil. reasons given by him are just excuses to pursue world conquest by any means necessary

duh- another movie sins moment

Just made a few comments above about your thoughts. I somewhat enjoyed the movie although the pacing and build up was off for me. I think I was insulated a little by the fact I don't have strong feelings for the characters being a marvel zombie myself.

Protections keep falling on this film. I am having trouble seeing it getting past $900 mil at this point. If they re-release it as the R long cut, that will be a desperation move. Can't see a re-release clearing more than about $50 mil.

Edited by drotto

How distant is Dawn of Justice (global box office performance vs. budget) from Guardians of the Galaxy?

It just passed GOTG by about 5 mil

GOTG had a 170 mil budget compared to i blelieve $250 for BVS and i think BVS spent a lot more on marketing

How distant is Dawn of Justice (global box office performance vs. budget) from Guardians of the Galaxy?

It just passed GOTG by about 5 mil

GOTG had a 170 mil budget compared to i blelieve $250 for BVS and i think BVS spent a lot more on marketing

I just looked it up. Correct me if any of the info is incorrect.

As of 4/10/16...

BvS Dawn of Justice: 783M box office - 250M budget = 533M

Guardians of the Galaxy: 773M box office - 232M budget = 541M

I'm sure after accounting for film budget tax credits and promotional expenses, the numbers will be effected, but Dawn of Justice still has time to make even more at the box office.

I suspect the results will be similar, with Dawn of Justice reaching Guardians of the Galaxy level success, falling short of Avengers level success.

Guardians worldwide Boxoffice 773,313.00 with a production budget of 170,000.00 however of you favor in the two years of box office inflation in terms of the two year gap 800 Mill would be reasonable. Bat v superman is a projected 783 and might adjust down a mil or too on Monday when final figures are released. The admitted budget is 250 million according to mojo but I suspect a tad higher at 275..I used boxofficemojo .com which I believe is owned by Amazon and is an excellent site... Anybody check out the hollywoodreporter.com article on the making of the original superman movie 'super' article guardians grossed 4.55 times production budget not counting inflation while bat with say a 825 projected final gross would be 3 times production budget. The old general rule to break even was x3 gross when DVDs were ruling the market. WB is going to break even at best.

Edited by Mmehdy

Guardians worldwide Boxoffice 773,313.00 with a production budget of 170,000.00 however of you favor in the two years of box office inflation in terms of the two year gap 800 Mill would be reasonable. Bat v superman is a projected 783 and might adjust down a mil or too on Monday when final figures are released. The admitted budget is 250 million according to mojo but I suspect a tad higher at 275..I used boxofficemojo .com which I believe is owned by Amazon and is an excellent site... Anybody check out the hollywoodreporter.com article on the making of the original superman movie 'super' article

Would 773M adjust to 800M with inflation from 2014 to 2016?

Either way, Dawn of Justice will make millions more beyond 783M. The end result doesn't project to be much different between the two films. So as I said, "Guardians of the Galaxy level" success = not "Avengers level" success.

changed my post and added some info bat v sup is

NOT gonna make a profit.. Guardians did . That is 27 mil for two years on 700 plus million ... A reasonable assumption but not using that , the profit ratio is much higher on gutdians

Edited by Mmehdy

Guardians worldwide Boxoffice 773,313.00 with a production budget of 170,000.00 however of you favor in the two years of box office inflation in terms of the two year gap 800 Mill would be reasonable. Bat v superman is a projected 783 and might adjust down a mil or too on Monday when final figures are released. The admitted budget is 250 million according to mojo but I suspect a tad higher at 275..I used boxofficemojo .com which I believe is owned by Amazon and is an excellent site... Anybody check out the hollywoodreporter.com article on the making of the original superman movie 'super' article

Would 773M adjust to 800M with inflation from 2014 to 2016?

Either way, Dawn of Justice will make millions more beyond 783M. The end result doesn't project to be much different between the two films. So as I said, "Guardians of the Galaxy level" success = not "Avengers level" success.

Has to be a huge disappointment for WB considering its DC's big 3 versus a cast of marvel unknowns. Still time to recover regarding the future DC line of movies imo but I agree with other posters Snyder has to go.