• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATMAN VS SUPERMAN MOVIE A DOG

765 posts in this topic

ComicBook.com's users (8,200+ of them) have voted Dawn of Justice a 4.26/5 -- the the 3rd highest grade given to a comic book movie ever.

Although I enjoyed the film, I don't think I'd grade it that high.

But from my personal experience, those who have seen the film have spoken MUCH higher of it than the critics and those on the boards.

Kinda hard to argue with the box office numbers. 70% decline from last weekend to this weekend, with nothing in the theaters to challenge. The only thing keeping people away from BvS is BvS. It is STILL going to sell a whole lot of tickets. It might even make money, though most analysts say it will have to approach a billion dollar box office to do that. I think the big wigs at WB aren't happy campers.

ComicBook.com's users (8,200+ of them) have voted Dawn of Justice a 4.26/5 -- the the 3rd highest grade given to a comic book movie ever.

But from my personal experience, those who have seen the film have spoken MUCH higher of it than the critics and those on the boards.

Kinda hard to argue with the box office numbers. 70% decline from last weekend to this weekend, with nothing in the theaters to challenge. The only thing keeping people away from BvS is BvS. It is STILL going to sell a whole lot of tickets. It might even make money, though most analysts say it will have to approach a billion dollar box office to do that. I think the big wigs at WB aren't happy campers.

I can't speak from a marketing/profit standpoint. Personally, I feel that their decision to release a trailer that gave away far too much of the plot was a very poor decision.

A lot of people that I spoke to said they wouldn't bother going to see the film in theaters because the trailer basically gave away the entire story. We knew going in that whatever conflict Batman and Superman had would eventually be shelved/resolved so that they could team up with Wonder Woman to face Doomsday. WB may have invested a lot into marketing the film, but their work ended up costing themselves ticket sales for reasons completely unrelated to the quality of the film itself.

When it's all said and done, I suspect Dawn of Justice will bring in something close to the 773M that Guardians of the Galaxy (a critical success) did.

-ComicBook.com's users rate the film very high.

-Rotten Tomatoes audience rates the film 41% higher than the critics.

And despite, what was IMO, a flawed marketing campaign, Dawn of Justice will finish with one of the highest box office totals in comic book film history. That's not to say the film won't finish below expectation, I'm just saying that it's box office performance and fan feedback looks better than what the critics, and many on the boards have had to say.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

I am hoping the Blu Ray will fill in 'gaps' you could feel while viewing the film.I think a big mistake was trying to blend a Batman reboot with a Superman sequel into one film. It's comic books. They could've found some loophole and just got Bale back and save us an origin rehash taking up valuable minutes. And on top of that trying to mesh two major story arches in each characters history into one movie. I also didn't like the way the battle between the two ended.

With that, i did 'like' Affleck, not 'love', but for me the movie 'soared' when big blue was on the screen doing his thing. It's SO hard to believe that a character that has had a radio program, a movie serial, three live action television series(four if you count Superboy), a Broadway show, six major motion pictures (and for a while, was the only superhero character that could get green lighted to take such a risk), that has been referenced in hundreds of songs, that has seen countless animation incarnations, and survived over 75 years on the printed page, and licensed products cannot be done right and 'treated' with the respect such a legacy deserves. When did Superman suddenly become a property that no one knows how to handle? Insane!

Superman is not Batman. Once DC realizes this again it could be a start for better times again for the greatest super hero of all times.

I have tried to keep this spoiler free for the few who have not seen it yet, so i'll wrap for now just saying i gave it a B-. The blu ray could change my opinion.

I can't speak from a marketing/profit standpoint. Personally, I feel that their decision to release a trailer that gave away far too much of the plot was a very poor decision.

A lot of people that I spoke to said they wouldn't bother going to see the film in theaters because the trailer basically gave away the entire story. We knew going in that whatever conflict Batman and Superman had would eventually be shelved/resolved so that they could team up with Wonder Woman to face Doomsday. WB may have invested a lot into marketing the film, but their work ended up costing themselves ticket sales for reasons completely unrelated to the quality of the film itself.

When it's all said and done, I suspect Dawn of Justice will bring in something close to the 773M that Guardians of the Galaxy (a critical success) did.

And despite, what was IMO, a flawed marketing campaign, Dawn of Justice will finish with one of the highest box office totals in comic book film history. That's not to say the film won't finish below expectation, I'm just saying that it's box office performance and fan feedback looks better than what the critics, and many on the boards have had to say.

just imagine a smoke-filled room meeting with warner/dc bigwigs a few months ago, where a seer told them their movie would just barely eke by the little deadpool movie in ww box office, and ONLY because china didn't let deadpool in. every jaw would've been on the floor.

just imagine a smoke-filled room meeting with warner/dc bigwigs a few months ago, where a seer told them their movie would just barely eke by the little deadpool movie in ww box office, and ONLY because china didn't let deadpool in. every jaw would've been on the floor.

If the film finishes below 800M, or below 1B even, many will consider it a disappointment. Deadpool exceeded expectations, which is a story in and of itself. My argument here isn't that BvS will be exceeding expectations and it's not that the film was flawless -- just that it's box office sales are still high, and that overall, fans seem to have enjoyed it more than the critics.

That is the entire thing. With Batman and Superman in the movie it should have done Avenger numbers or at least been close. The goalpost has been moved. After Avengers, AoU, Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises, Jurassic World, Star Wars, etc., the box office mark of success for these big blockbuster, tent pole movies is now 1 billion. That is not to say that "smaller" solo films are a failure when they make $600 or $700 mil, but the expectations for those movies are lower to start with.

If the film finishes below 800M, or below 1B even, many will consider it a disappointment. Deadpool exceeded expectations, which is a story in and of itself. My argument here isn't that BvS will be exceeding expectations and it's not that the film was flawless -- just that it's box office sales are still high, and that overall, fans seem to have enjoyed it more than the critics.

You must factor in cost of production at 250 mill cost of marketing 150 mil minus the actual returns and this movie at 800mil is a loser.., the last bond needed 1 bil to break even .. Gross does not mean profit ... Gross in this instance is what this movie is. My final prediction total is 840 mil.., if lucky.. The fell short about 800 million .. The profit it should of made .

I get it. Supe & Bat fans desperately want to see the franchise succeed. But in their heart of hearts are most defenders who've seen this jumbled mess really enthusiastic or just defensively disappointed. Comic fans will often accept mediocre interpretations of their favorite characters and half heartedly defend them just because we're happy to see them filmed. It's like your home town sports team struggling through an embarrassingly bad season, ...they may stink, but you root for 'em anyway.

By the time we get to the point of trying to glean statistically favorable reviews from ComicBook.com, it seems more like grasping at straws (apologies in advance to Straw-Man). When all is said and done, BvS just isn't performing up to expectations. On the plus side, it looks like WB may be getting the message. After all, it's tough marketing a tentpole film that's missing it's tent.

Rotten Tomatoes is a pretty solid review reference. Consensus provides gravitas. Those critics had to sit through this mess. A broad spectrum of audience reviews provides contrast and is perhaps more effective in selling a mediocre effort to less critical fence sitters, but the luke-warm praise is also telling.

Finally, the marketing campaign isn't to blame for Dawn of Justice's drop-off, it's the movie itself.

The marketing would not have mattered if this was a great movie... When the hits the fan ... It's a blame game....bad marketing..phoney cgi...bad -script... Bad timing ...critics are crazy ... Look ... This is the biggest 250 mil flop ever made for that amount of movie ...which has 2 versions .... The lame one we already know about.. The real r rated version the jury is still out... Which WB chickened out to release to sell more popcorn to kiddies.

Edited by Mmehdy

You've got the seeds of a Hollywood movie pitch there! (thumbs u

Or the hallmark indicators of an obsessive fixation. Oh, you weren't referring to Billy? BP, you're living up to your Straw-Man moniker in this ongoing comparison to DeadPool.

The marketing would not have mattered if this was a great movie... When the hits the fan ... It's a blame game....bad marketing..phoney cgi...bad -script... Bad timing ...critics are crazy ... Look ... This is the biggest 250 mil flop ever made for that amount of movie ...which has 2 versions .... The lame one we already know about.. The real r rated version the jury is still out... Which WB chickened out to release to sell more popcorn to kiddies.

I have seen director's cuts that make a movie better, but I have never seen a director's cut that redeems a film in the eyes of the general public. Only the hardcore fans are going to buy and watch the R version. That Rotten Tomatoes 29% will never go away. Financially, the new cut will be a minuscule fraction of the revenue for BvS.

Edited by drotto

Or the hallmark indicators of an obsessive fixation. Oh, you weren't referring to Billy? BP, you're living up to your Straw-Man moniker in this ongoing comparison to DeadPool.

There may be room for another DeadPool comparison if WB puts Zack Snyder on their "kill" list. lol

I get it. Supe & Bat fans desperately want to see the franchise succeed. But in their heart of hearts are most defenders who've seen this jumbled mess really enthusiastic or just defensively disappointed. Comic fans will often accept mediocre interpretations of their favorite characters and half heartedly defend them just because we're happy to see them filmed. It's like your home town sports team struggling through an embarrassingly bad season, ...they may stink, but you root for 'em anyway.

By the time we get to the point of trying to glean statistically favorable reviews from ComicBook.com, it seems more like grasping at straws (apologies in advance to Straw-Man). When all is said and done, BvS just isn't performing up to expectations. On the plus side, it looks like WB may be getting the message. After all, it's tough marketing a tentpole film that's missing it's tent.

Rotten Tomatoes is a pretty solid review reference. Consensus provides gravitas. Those critics had to sit through this mess. A broad spectrum of audience reviews provides contrast and is perhaps more effective in selling a mediocre effort to less critical fence sitters, but the luke-warm praise is also telling.

Finally, the marketing campaign isn't to blame for Dawn of Justice's drop-off, it's the movie itself.

ComicBook.com's rating only represents 8,000+ people. Take from it what you will, the same in respects to Rotten Tomatoes' 70% audience approval rating. That film was imperfect and I've seen few argue otherwise. Do I think the awful decision to "show all" in the trailer was the only reason for below expectations performance at the box office? No. But was it a factor? I believe it was and I've spoke to a lot of people who skipped the movie because of it.

The difference between 700M and 1B isn't huge statistically, but it is in respects to profit-margin because that lost 20-30% could have been profit. If negative reviews made 3 out of every 10 people skip the film, that can account for the difference. Is it safe to say that the film may bring in 20-30% less than expected? Yes. If the Rotten Tomatoes audience (as a point of reference) gave the film a 95% approval rating, we'd probably be talking about a 1B film.

70% approval is in-line with the 700M+ it's earned. Likely to finish 20-30% below expectations. That's a disappointment from a profit-standpoint, but if 70% of the audience enjoyed the film and paid to see it, that about sums up where we're at.

Watched the movie last night. I enjoyed it a lot.

I won't be contributing to Zack Snyder's early retirement plan, but for nostalgia's sake I'll be watching the edgy first season of Gearge Reeve's Superman again just to remind me of how much fun the character was back in the GA.