• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicArtAds update--Rogers, Kaluta, and Mignola

10 posts in this topic

Good evening! I wanted to let you know that over the past couple of weeks I have uploaded a bunch of scans of old comic art ads featuring art by Marshall Rogers, Michael Kaluta, and Mike Mignola. You can see them all at:

www.comicartads.com

Thanks for looking! Best regards, Lee

Those two Kaluta Spectre covers Mitch had in 1988...interesting that #2 is 10% less than #1 ($450 v. $500). I find the #2 composition to be far superior (in terms of interesting to the eye) against #1, but I guess it's still not #1?

Kaluta_Spectre1cov_GC88.jpg

Kaluta_Spectre2cov_GC88.jpg

So what would #2* cost me in today's market? And yes that's a hint if somebody wants to pm me...

*Cue Bronty and Chris at this point for giggles and .gifs :)

So what would #2* cost me in today's market? And yes that's a hint if somebody wants to pm me...

*Cue Bronty and Chris at this point for giggles and .gifs :)

I think you'll find the answers in the images themselves; I'd say #1 would cost you an arm and #2 a leg (or two).

Those two Kaluta Spectre covers Mitch had in 1988...interesting that #2 is 10% less than #1 ($450 v. $500). I find the #2 composition to be far superior (in terms of interesting to the eye) against #1, but I guess it's still not #1?

I just uploaded another Spectre cover from one of Mitch's 1988 catalogs, but this time the artist is Mike Mignola:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/spectre-7-cover

The price is roughly 1/3 of the price of the Kaluta covers. Does anyone think this comparative price would hold up today? Best, Lee

I could be pretty wrong on these numbers, not characters either creator is most known for but I'm thinking...$10-12k each for the Kalutas and $7500-$9k for the Mignola. I'm interested in seeing what others think!

I was amazed when looking at the BWS ads. In one year (1994) there was an ad for a Conan page at $350 and another ad, same year, for an Archer and Armstrong page for $275, I do not think that those pages appreciated in value at the same rate!

I could be pretty wrong on these numbers, not characters either creator is most known for but I'm thinking...$10-12k each for the Kalutas and $7500-$9k for the Mignola. I'm interested in seeing what others think!

So, the cover to #1 sold in 2006 for $8.4K and I never thought it would have went for anywhere near that amount back then. I am unable to find any sales data for the cover to #2.

I was amazed when looking at the BWS ads. In one year (1994) there was an ad for a Conan page at $350 and another ad, same year, for an Archer and Armstrong page for $275, I do not think that those pages appreciated in value at the same rate!

Hi Sean! That's an interesting observation about BWS art prices. I think it is always interesting to look at relative values for that art of different artists at a particular time, but I have never focused on the relative values of different art by the same artist at a particular time.

If there are any Ploog fanatics out there, I have started to upload my Ploog art ad scans. There are some great examples of Ploog's art, and some jaw-dropping prices, to be seen. Cheers, Lee